Skip to content

Talking about your products.

This forum is dedicated to the bowyer and his craft. This is the place to talk building techninques, design/theory, and anything about enhancing performance. Anything about bow building is welcome here. All build alongs will be housed in the sub-forum below.

Re: Talking about your products.

Postby Dick in Seattle » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:00 pm

Boy, I hope I wasn't in any part a cause of this. I just got roundly chastised on TG because my posts about my new bows sounded "too commercial" when I talk about "Old Phartt's Archery", when it's meant as kind of a joke and I don't even have any bows for sale. I think I'll just lay low unless I decide to sell to people who keep asking me. The lines are gettin' mighty fine and I'm not sure I can see them with trifocals.
Dick in Seattle

"The shop door is open, the coffee is on..."
Dick in Seattle

Postby 4nolz » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:22 pm

Dick-I'd love to see a cut and paste of your scoulding-I aint allowed over there on TG.
there are 2 dates on your marker.Your life is the dash in between.
4nolz

Postby Feral Donkey » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:11 pm

Yeah, same here!

Nah, Dick you're good. Everyone is good. I just had a fit of a Casandra Complex. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cassandra_(metaphor) "The Cassandra metaphor is applied by some psychologists to individuals who experience physical and emotional suffering as a result of distressing personal perceptions, and who are disbelieved when they attempt to share the cause of their suffering with others." :lol: The sky is falling!!! The sky is falling!!!

I had a little paranoid vision of bad stuff that could happen and decided to prepare for it. Maybe it's not necessary but it's one problem we'll never have now. :D
Lord of the Hooligans.

Feral Donkey

Postby Dick in Seattle » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:54 pm

OK… you asked, so here’s the full, long story. Sorry if it sounds a bit whiney but I’m not feeling all that “up” at the moment…

Actually, it wasn’t a “scolding”. I was simply informed that because I post so many bows (each one that I build… about one every six weeks) and because I talk about “Old Phartt’s Archery”, it had come to their attention that the regular sponsors (for which read “paying sponsors”), felt threatened by the idea that I, not a paying sponsor, might take away some of their business… that I was “trolling for sales.” For crying out loud, hadn’t anybody actually read my accounts? They’re a compendium of what not to do! Plus, mine are light weight, simple utility bows, hardly anyone’s idea of a fast, super custom whiz bang modern bow.

Anyway, I replied by explaining that all of the posting that I do, to boards and on my web site, is to share my fun, my enthusiasm for this kind of simple bow, and my learning (and mistakes) with others just starting out. If a beginning bowyer stumbles onto my bow making pages, there’s a treasure trove of info on everything I’ve learned, building an oven, a form, altering clamps, several buildalongs (with the mistakes) and discussions of why I did everything I do.

I explained that Old Phartt’s Archery is actually kind of a joke, a game I play for amusement and also to kind of humorously show bunged up old guys like myself that you can keep shooting, even if you can’t still handle the bow weights you once did. I get to tweak people about shooting heavy bows, hopefully making them think a bit and I enjoy teasing about absolutely straight limbs and risers being the only “real” longbows. I noted that I have made no secret of the nature of Old Phartt’s, it’s posted right on the web page. Again, I pointed out that I do not accept custom orders and in fact have never sold a bow I made, in spite of consistent offers for them. I’ve given several away, but I’ve never sold one, or built a bow that wasn’t a project I wanted to see the outcome of because of a difference in design or material that I was curious about.

This generated a response that since I was, none the less, “giving the appearance” of being a business, they would appreciate it if I included a specific disclaimer in all future posts about my bows. I added the following to the gallery page of my web site:

“Notice

Old Phartt’s Archery is a strictly amateur, non-commercial bow building activity, carried out for my own learning and satisfaction. Every bow I build is built because I'm looking to learn something from that particular project. I do not build to sell or take orders for custom bows. I treat Old Phartt's as if it were a business because it amuses me and keeps me serious about it, but it isn't. This has caused some confusion, hence this notice. Any information presented is for the purpose of sharing and not to promote sales.

Dick Wightman
The Old Phartt”

They replied that perhaps I didn’t need to go to quite that extent, but that they did appreciate it. I put a condensed disclaimer statement in the posting of Look at Me! On their site earlier this week , but I felt so stupid doing so that I’ve just decided not to post my work there any more.

Now, here’s the kicker… or maybe a couple of kickers… and the reason why I’m sensitive and kind of confused about this issue. Kicker 1: In spite of the disclaimer, the posting on TG produced two requests to build bows! Upon being told that I didn’t take orders the response was to keep them in mind if I ever sold ones that I had built. Kicker 2 (And this is the serious one): The time is coming when I probably will part with a couple of my own bows. Up till now I’ve financed this activity by selling off custom bows I myself had bought previously. Now, most of the “commercial” bows I have left are ones I don’t want to part with, and my own production is filling up my bow room. Poor Look at Me! is having to share a peg with Out of the Closet! I only shoot a bow for a couple of months. By then, I’m full of the idea of the next bow and building it and then I shoot it. Selling the ones I’m done with as used bows will keep me in glass, glue and wood, so it’s probably going to happen, and if someone wants one, I’m not going to say “no”. It’s dumb to keep stacking them in a corner. I just don’t want to be building what someone else wants or to a deadline.

So, there you have the whole sad story. Some people want me to go into business and make them bows. I don’t want to go into business and I don’t want to build to order. Some people are upset because I look like I’m in business. I don’t want to give up the idea of Old Phartt’s because it’s frankly too much fun to play with. I’m even developing an Old Phartt’s logo (if my wife ever finishes drawing it). I’m used to having alternate identities… for more than 30 years I was Captain Dick, then I was Doc Wightman with my traveling medicine show. Apparently, it just doesn’t go over that well outside of show business. People don’t understand. My inclination now is to just be very low profile, build my bows and maybe take ones I’m done with to shoots and if someone wants one, fine, but posting them just seems to be generating problems.
Dick in Seattle

"The shop door is open, the coffee is on..."
Dick in Seattle

Postby BK in TEXAS » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:05 pm

Dick in Seattle wrote: I don’t want to give up the idea of Old Phartt’s because it’s frankly too much fun to play with. I’m even developing an Old Phartt’s logo (if my wife ever finishes drawing it).

I'd like to order a t-shirt if you ever have them made :D

BK
Hooked on Phonics......Helping kids read gooder since 1970.

http://www.NorthlandGameCalls.com
BK in TEXAS

Postby rwsbow » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:36 pm

I look at it this way, Dick.....their loss is our gain!!!

I love reading your "adventures" and hope you keep writing them...just something about "Old Phartt's Archery" just has the right appeal to it!!

And you make some damn fine looking bows, too!!!!

( By the way, if the T-shirts ever come up for sale, I'd like to order one ;) )
The reason I support the 2nd Amendment is because I'm too young to die but too old for an ass whoopin' ! 

rwsbow

Postby 4nolz » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:30 pm

thanks dick-its kinda funny about requests for bows.When I started making bows I joked with someone that all you had to do was come up with a cool name-black widow etc so I called mine "Witchdoctor" bows after my dads old CB handle from the 70's (we are Veterinarians).Everytime I would post a picture out of the blue people would want to buy one or have one made which I have never done (and never will) even though I've donated some to auctions.Some people just want the "newest thing".I get a kick out of it everytime.

you got a kickass name "Old Pharrts" archery. :D
there are 2 dates on your marker.Your life is the dash in between.
4nolz

Postby jeffhalfrack » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:11 pm

HMMMMM! auction, dick how about an auction talk to your accountant to see if you could hold back expenses and donate some to a chairity { I tried to auction off a pay check at this factory once but got caught could have tripled my pay boy did they make it hard on me!!} maybe you shouldn't listen to me but please keep your stuff comming
jeffhalfrack

Postby freelancer » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:53 pm

Dick, I defenitely want an Old Pharts T-shirt. The kids these days wear a brand called Phat Farm.... I think yours would give them a run for their money.

Dave
freelancer

Postby mike robin » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:16 pm

i hope you keep posting them here !!
mike
chicks dig me
mike robin

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to The Bowyer's Gallery