Skip to content

Pathfinder Buildalong

All build alongs are archived here for quick and easy reference.

Re: Pathfinder Buildalong

Postby TimZeigler » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:44 am

I got this tip from another bowyer, and helped tremendously. When you assemble your pack, drill a small hole close to the end, and insert a small flat head nail. This will keep your components from slipping and sliding when you do your actual layup.

Components layed out for glue up.
Wipe everything down with acetone, or denatured alcohol to remove any oil residue left by your hands, or any other loose material. I also took a hacksaw blade and scored my wedge prior to cleaning.

Using cellophane wrap, protect your form.
Place your pack against the alinment pin of your form, and begin to tape everything down, tight. Never to much tape.

When the pack is secure, trim off your nail flush with a pair of snips, and apply your pressure strip, hose, and top of form.

Pressure applied, shot at the fade. Look at all that excess glue. This will be an issue.
TimZeigler

Postby TimZeigler » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:47 am

After cooking in the box at 180, for 6 hours, I let it cool overnight.

After fighting about 30 minute to get the limb out, it finally gives up and whallaaa, a limb is born. NOW, the issue learned in this lesson. 3 - 1/2" sheets does not equal 1.5 inches. I knew this prior, but didn't see it as a problem knowing that my micarta strip was 1.5 inches. What I didn't figure in was that the glue needs someplace to go when is under pressure. In my case, under the lip of my micarta, successfully locking into place. I had to use a small chisel and pressure to remove the cured epoxy to release the limb.

Lip on the form

Limb

Using my spindle/belt sander combo, carefully clean off excess glue. (for my next build I'm going to try the method where you mark your limbs before layup, and then just cut out accordingly after glue up. Fighting that glue, and getting even width limbs is long and dirty work, smooth on is some hard shyt).

TimZeigler

Postby TimZeigler » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:48 am

Being that this was the first limb for my first bow, I had to see what the lams looked like under the glass, so I pulled off the tape for a peek.

TimZeigler

Postby TimZeigler » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:51 am

Now for the troublesome lip on my form. I got this tip from the same bowyer that gave me the nail idea, as well as many others. BONDO.

Keep in mind, when using bondo, hardner is not your friend. My first attempt at mixing failed in about, oh, 30 seconds. Setup like a rock on the mixing plate.

This much

makes this much

that turns into this

I also learned that smaller batches work best, with just minimal hardner. The first batch I applied, setup in about 5 minutes, so I had to sand it and add another batch to even things out. Did a final sanding to make a nice smooth transition from the micarta, to form. (there are still small pockets in the bondo, but I rub the form down with paste wax, and fill the pock marks, so the glue or cellophane will not adhear to them.)

TimZeigler

Postby TimZeigler » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:54 am

I repeated the steps for the limb build for the next limb, with the addition of wax the heck out of the form with johnson paste wax. Any pockholes in the bondo got extra attention with the wax. The limb came out with little effort.

I traced the limb pattern with my template, as well as my center line. Sorry, I did not get pictures of the holes being drilled, I used a hand drill opposed to the drill press this time. (I've used both the hand drill as well as drill press for the holes. Both are a pain, but I think the drill press works best if you can keep your limb from moving. Another Jig will solve that problem).

After the limbs were cut to rough shape.

After the initial knocks were filed

After working the knocks to even distances so that the string tracked, it went to the tiller tree. Can you see the stiff side? That will be my bottom limb.

TimZeigler

Postby TimZeigler » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:56 am

Side profile

Back profile

Centerlines should always match up
TimZeigler

Postby TimZeigler » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:57 am

Next is the really fun part; Shaping the riser.

First the rough shape with the bandsaw.

Using the oscillating sander, I knocked down what edges I could, and worked the sight window smooth.
Everything else was pretty much done by hand rasp, and file to create contours, and lines.
TimZeigler

Postby TimZeigler » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:58 am

The lower limb was way to strong, so some light sanding on the front and back of limb slowly brought the brace within 1/4 inch of the top. She started to bend nice and even.

I cut the excess limb length off of the limb butts, and sanded them flush with the riser.

I wasn't extremely happy with my riser shape, it looked blocky, and was a bit off balance in its current form, so I went back and carefully re worked my sight window and the belly of the riser.

This is what I was shooting for.

TimZeigler

Postby TimZeigler » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:00 am

To finish the limbs, I wanted to add a belly overlay and some knock overlays. I used scrap walnut, and micarta to give me the look I wanted.

NOTE: If you decide to do this, I suggest you laminate the pieces seperately and then add them to the limb. I tried to lay them up like you would a limb, and this was not the easiest way.

Rough Tip

Rough belly

Excess cut off, and sanded to initial shape

Finished knock, although I may rework it a tad to make it smaller.

TimZeigler

Postby TimZeigler » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:01 am

Well, after much procrastination, and other items on the "to do" list, I've pretty much completed the bow. The finish is Tru Oil. I marked the bow with paint, but will most likely take it off a little while down the road and remark it with India Ink, or some other method thats capable of fine marking. I've been toying around with Corel Draw, and some left over micarta, and with a Versa Laser at work I came up with a nifty little coin to mark my work with.

Tomorrow, strike plate, rug, and full draw/shooting pics.

Tim

TimZeigler

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Bow Build alongs