Skip to content

59 Kodiak Reproductions

A Place to Post Your Collectable Bows, Archery and Hunting Equipment

59 Kodiak Reproductions

Postby Craig/Fl » Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:48 pm

I've seen a couple of 59 reproductions made by a company called Vintage Works and now have the hots for a 59. I did a search for that company but nothing turns up. From what I did gather he only makes a few a year. There a nice 60"er on ebay but its a tad on the light side. Has anyone ever heard of this fellow and have any info on his bows. Is there anyone else making reproductions of the 59?, I been looking at those Saxtons Kadiaks for a few years now but I don't know how authentic they are.
A few years ago I picked up a old Kodiak Mag and spent the summer gathering up the accessories for it, springarm quiver, microflyte arrows, razorheads and that sort of stuff and then hunted with hunted all that year with it, I think It would be fun to do that with a 59.
Craig/Fl

Re: 59 Kodiak Reproductions

Postby Jett » Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:40 pm

Really don't much about that one. I've shot one of La Clair's before. It was okay, but I like the real McCoy better. I'm sure they're good shooters though; that's the point of copying the original design. But really, the '59 thing is more of an appreciation of asthetics than performance (and really it's a toss up which is better looking; the '59 or '60). The best performing of the vintage Kodiaks are, in my opinion, are the 64's. But in the looks department they're kinda of plain janes - I guess that's why no one has ever copied them.

I haven't checked for a while, but you can probably pick up an original for about the same money as one of the repos.
"Plungers are for toilets." - Hank
Jett

Postby Craig/Fl » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:00 am

Thanks Jett, I was considering looking for an original but I tend to shoot my bows daily that I'm going hunt with and I'm afraid of the wear and tear that would be put on a older bow. When I did the Kodiak Mag thing I had 2 Graylings that were set up for hunting and a newer Gainesville that was my daily practice bow, it seemed to work out.
Craig/Fl

Postby Jett » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:35 pm

I wouldn't worry about them holding up; I shot mine on a daily basis, doesn't seem to bother them a bit if they're in good shape. Last couple of years I've been shooting a '64 Grizzly, but I'm thinking about hunting with my '59 Kodiak this year in honor of its 50th anniversary.
Jett

Postby KODIAK » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:28 am

Craig, I first saw this guys bows on Ebay a couple of years ago and IMMEDIATELY knew it was the best looking and most accurate repro I had seen. That one had a maple sight window and was damn nice!

Almost all the repros don't look quite right and I can immediately tell its not a real one. These are authentic looking IMO. This dude has talent.

BTW are you still building bows for Bear or am I mistaking you for someone else?
Attachments
purpleheartkodiak.jpg
purpleheartkodiak.jpg (65.64 KiB) Viewed 6132 times
KODIAK

Postby Craig/Fl » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:23 pm

Yep, that's one of the pictures I saw, heres another one that I found on Ebay, not quite as nice but still a beauty , I wish this guy had a website.
I'm still at Bear, I've been working in QC for about a year now , but get some OT in the traditional shop fairly regular.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1960-Bear-Kodiak-Cu ... 1|294%3A50
Craig/Fl

Postby KODIAK » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:10 pm

Wow, that is a beauty. Love that maple sight window.

Prices on real '59-60 Kodiaks have really come down alot in the last couple of years, so I guess personally I would opt for the real thing for about the same price. During that same time, prices for '64 Kodiaks have gone through the roof. :? But if I was to buy a 59- '60 repro, I'd get one from Vintage Works. Even the silks and coins look real to me.

Saxons Kadiak is a pretty nice copy as well, but think it's a 62"er and not quite as authentic looking imo.
KODIAK

Postby Jett » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:15 pm

Wow! I'd have to agree - other than looking "too new" that's the best (read, most authentic) looking repro I've ever seen! Anybody shot one? I'd like to shoot one alongside an original. I always thought the differences reflected an avoidance of patent infringement but I've been told this is not so, the patents have expired. Is this so?
Jett

Postby KODIAK » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:22 pm

I don't think you can patent the design, Samick and Habus look like blatant rip-offs of Black Widows to me, but I'm a little surprised that he's able to use the "Bear Kodiak" silks and the coin.

Must be OK.
KODIAK

Postby KODIAK » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:04 pm

KODIAK

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Collectors Forum