Skip to content

Recessed Limb Bow

All build alongs are archived here for quick and easy reference.

Recessed Limb Bow

Postby michbowhunter » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:05 pm

Just wanted to post some pics of todays work....
This is the stack that will fit inbetween the limb butts (before glue)
This is the actuall riser, and temp. riser (dry fit)
Here it is during glue-up, Wraped plastic around riser and then clamped...ready for oven.
This is the fill in piece out of the oven and on top of the riser, w/limbs installed....I left the ends long and will grind to fit....
Made this jig for grinding the filler piece....keeps it square to the riser as I grind...
Grind and check fit so you don't take off to much (like I did...grrrrrr)...

I glued it and clamped it in its final position with the limbs attached....used shims at both ends to keep even spacing...
If you say you can, or you say you can't....you're right!

www.journeymanarchery.com
michbowhunter

Re: Recessed Limb Bow

Postby Kirkll » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:24 pm

EXCELLENT Mitch! can i feel free to pirate that idea? i think i could pull that one off bro....Kirk
http://www.bigfootbows.com/
kirk@bigfootbows.com

Only archers are fool enough to want to make a composite with natural materials and man made materials, and then bend it repeatedly...
Kirkll

Postby Gino Bruno » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:26 pm

very very nice!!!!! nice wood choice too!!!! :mrgreen:
Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.
Gino Bruno

Postby Kenro » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:38 pm

Very cool Jared! Thats pretty much the same way I had to do my flush limb design too. Thats gonna look awesome with the mac in there. That one coming to WTT III? :)
People used to say that I'd never amount to much but I can always say Ive served as a bad example!
Kenro

Postby Hornseeker » Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:07 pm

Cant wait for more pics!!!
It FEELS GOOD to USE WOOD!
Chuck Norris puts the laughter in manslaughter.
Hornseeker

Postby Dan Bonner » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:12 pm

Cool! I always wondered how to do that. Thats some great craftsmanship. Cant wait to see the finished product!

Bonner
Dan Bonner

Postby tjdeerslayer37 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:24 pm

very nice jared :D
Save a tree, shoot a buck

>>------------->
tjdeerslayer37

Postby michbowhunter » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:15 am

Thanks guys....Kirk, have at it man, I was taught this method by a local bowyer and it seems it's the only way to go about building this type of bow (aside from using a cnc)? I think Great Plains also sells a bow like this??

Ken, if the numbers come in good i'll send it for WTT 3. Then again it's probably the only one i'll have time to build....never did get a chance to mess with that carbon limb.

Well, i'm waiting for my wife to get home so she can take over the child care duties...then I can lock myself in the shop :D .......Jared

michbowhunter

Postby Gino Bruno » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:43 pm

michbowhunter wrote:Thanks guys....Kirk, have at it man, I was taught this method by a local bowyer and it seems it's the only way to go about building this type of bow (aside from using a cnc)? I think Great Plains also sells a bow like this??

or a manual mill ;) .... it worked really well for those recurves i did last year.

btw, jared.... i think cote knows that local bowyer if it is the one i am thinking of. did/does he grind a lot of veneers for black widow?
Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.
Gino Bruno

Postby michbowhunter » Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:27 pm

Well here it is, I actually got alot done today.....here are some pics.....
This is my new shelf cutting jig for the router table....I took Ginos advice and bought the double cut burr and used it in the router. I took abot 1/8" off at a time. Also after the first pass I decided to clamp a backer piece on the back and belly to help with the tear out....worked great :D

Then I did some grinding and shaping.....

Maybe next weekend I can finish sanding and if the weather is nice I might even spray :D .....Jared

michbowhunter

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Bow Build alongs