Skip to content

Limb laminations

This forum is dedicated to the bowyer and his craft. This is the place to talk building techninques, design/theory, and anything about enhancing performance. Anything about bow building is welcome here. All build alongs will be housed in the sub-forum below.

Limb laminations

Postby rhust » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:17 pm

Ok I want to make my own limb lams. What is something good to start with? I think I am going to try a recurve fist and then longbows later. Also what is the best way to make a lamination sled? Thanks
rhust

Re: Limb laminations

Postby shortbldtr » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:46 pm

Best way I think would be to have them machined out of alum or steel . What works for most of us is to use lams with the taper you want and run them through your drum sander under the sled creating the same taper. I used osage for my sleds but when I do the next ones I'll more than likely use glued up blocks of plywood.Check the set up on your machine and make sure it is grinding parallel. If it's not your sled won't be.
shortbldtr

Postby Hornseeker » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:29 pm

I have an aluminum sled that cant be beat for my 002's. Actionwood or dymondwood works great for sleds too...

get some good, straight grain walnut, maple or action boo and get to millings lams. You wont be able to ask for more, unless you are looking for "pretty" stuff...

E
It FEELS GOOD to USE WOOD!
Chuck Norris puts the laughter in manslaughter.
Hornseeker

Postby rhust » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:37 pm

Where is the best place to get the tapers for the sled. Can I just put my piece on top of the taper? How do you attach it?

I think I want to go with the action boo or maple for the lams. Where is the best place to get it?

Thanks
rhust

Postby Sulphur » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:22 pm

i am about to order some from KennyM (.002) to use as patterns. I got some from 3rivers (.001) that weren't not very accurate. I know from everybody on these sites that kenny's are top notch. On my last bow project using the 3r patterns i had to adjust one lam by hand and then copy it. was kind of a pain.
Sulphur

Postby BK in TEXAS » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:34 pm

Sulphur wrote:i am about to order some from KennyM (.002) to use as patterns. I got some from 3rivers (.001) that weren't not very accurate. I know from everybody on these sites that kenny's are top notch. On my last bow project using the 3r patterns i had to adjust one lam by hand and then copy it. was kind of a pain.

While you're ordering, you might want to get a pair of .001's as well, that will give you more flexibility to makes bows with .001, .002, 3, 4, 5,etc tapers, as well as your wedges. Just a thought.

BK
Hooked on Phonics......Helping kids read gooder since 1970.

http://www.NorthlandGameCalls.com
BK in TEXAS

Postby Crooked Stic » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:04 pm

I have got an .002 sled out of Alum. 1/2x 5x37 and had it milled .002 per inch. Cost me $125. I use a lot of actionboo and black walnut for lams.
Prez of the Crooked Stic Gang
Crooked Stic

Postby rhust » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:23 pm

crooked stic, where do you get your action boo?
rhust

Postby TimZeigler » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:35 am

Doesnt' Binghams sell the taper sleds if you call and ask them? I know they are not listed on site.
TimZeigler

Next

Return to Board index

Return to The Bowyer's Gallery