Skip to content

What it takes to execute a good shot if you're big.

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

Re: What it takes to execute a good shot if you're big.

Postby oscar » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:43 am

I shoot with a fairly open stance. Have to for the same reason as you FD.
There comes a time in the affairs of man when he must take the bull by the tail and face the situation.
oscar

Postby Jacko » Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:19 pm

Fat /Er solid big boned people unite !

I have a 52 " chest and a saddly similar waist line :oops: . In 05 I shifted my anchor point so its more centered on my face . Now my top finger locks against my cheek bone and touches the centre bit of my nose , my middle finger touches my eye tooth . Until the other day when I watched Ty Pelfrey's Modern Traditional DVD I did not realise my release hand does form the c shape he talks of . I also switched to tilting my head a tad as I swing draw my bow which allows me to crunch my back for a crisp release [ sometimes :( ] .

I shot an open stance the first 10 years I shot a bow , early on this worked with a under chin anchor but the change to barebow and a side of the face anchor stuffed things up . When I worked out it was my shoulder alignment causing consistency problems I switched to a side on stance and have worked hard on feet , hips , shoulder alingment and as narrow a triangle with shoulders and arms as physically possible

These minor changes over the years improved alignment enough that I can get my front shoulder pointing in the vicinity of the target better my elbow behind my head enough for a more consistant release . I have found it's important to continue pushing with my front arm with my more centred anchor point .

regards Jacko
Jacko

Postby Jacko » Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:55 am

This last post of mine here - FORGET IT :oops:

You might guess I shot like shit this weekend :D

Back to the blank bale :roll:

regards Jacko
Jacko

Postby Bowlim » Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:14 pm

Maybe you guys should pull out some picture of Natalia Valeeva if you think chest depth is a problem, or that Italian guy who was hot for a while, or even Larry Eliasen.
Attachments
Natalia%20Valeeva%20Italy.jpg
Natalia%20Valeeva%20Italy.jpg (26.85 KiB) Viewed 5287 times
Bowlim

Postby Feral Donkey » Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:29 pm

The shirt sleve is what really gets me. She's big chested but she's got skinny arms with a tight shirt. For a long time i wore a chest protector then I switched to a 2nd arm guard on my upper arm. Problem solved. She looks like she needs a chest protector but the 2nd arm guard wouldn't do anything.
Lord of the Hooligans.

Feral Donkey

Postby Hank » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:49 pm

Notice the string angle perfectly lines up with her boob.... I am starting the hormone injections tomorrow. :)
a genetically modified by aliens life form, known as Hank
Hank

Postby Howattman » Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:00 pm

Nothin' worse than a big guy getting his titty ripped off by the bowstring. As a former offensive lineman with a 54" chest and 42" waist, I speak from experience........(Now I'm just offensive ;) )

My smartass 13 year old calls them "moobies" (man-boobies).
Resident Howattologist
Pirate Poet Laureate/Hardcore Defective

"Pain or damage don’t end the world, or despair or f**king beatings. The world ends when you’re dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man—and give some back.”

Howattman

Postby Feral Donkey » Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:33 pm

Hank wrote:Notice the string angle perfectly lines up with her boob.... I am starting the hormone imjections tomorrow. :)

That's an anchor point. :lol:
Lord of the Hooligans.

Feral Donkey

Postby cst » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:09 pm

I used to draw real far. Far enough back that I would occasionally bloody a nipple. That hurts! I got hit in the leg with an axe one time and it didn't hurt like the string plucking my nipple. I shortened up my draw and the combination of the lighter weight and quitting flinching on each shot has done wonders for my repeatability.
cst

Postby Bowlim » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:50 pm

I hit the arm occasionally myself. It sounds like the kind of thing that would be caused by having a poor line through the arm and shoulder and pushing the bow arm into harms way. A comon flaw. Though a coach once told me I had perfect T-form. Still I think the subject requires more study.
Attachments
Natalia99-Sequence.jpg
Natalia99-Sequence.jpg (92 KiB) Viewed 5236 times
Bowlim

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum