Skip to content

What it takes to execute a good shot if you're big.

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

What it takes to execute a good shot if you're big.

Postby Feral Donkey » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:51 pm

You notice most the guys shooting in the olympics are like a Saltine? They strand sideways and they disappear. They can get their bone-on-bone alignment and flatten themselves out sideways with bowstring clearance just fine.

Now I don't know about you guys, but I'm shaped like a salt barrel. I'm as thick as I'm wide, as I found out yesterday while climbing through a barbed wire fence. I tried real hard the last year or so to really get myself locked into the full, proper alignment like I saw on that Larry Skinner video I borrowed from Hank, and I did ok with that as long as I was wearing a tighter fitting t-shirt, chest protector, and 2 arm guards. If I didn't have all that crap on I'd throw horrible fliers because of the string impacting with my clothing and chest. Then I talked to Leo some about clickers and stuff and he said guys like us just have a real hard time getting into that perfect, sideways, bone-on-bone alignment. And that we have to rely more on our muscles to get to where we need to be consistantly.

So recently I put a clicker on my bow and shortened my draw just a little bit. I opened my stance up a little bit too. I'm using the clicker to retrain me to a new alignment that works better for me and I am just nailing shit now! I've never shot this well in my life and with 2 blade broadheads too. I also had to change the pressure point on my grip just a bit lower and the consistancy just went through the roof and I'm no longer wearing that horrible chest protector thing. Maybe for hunting I will just because of all the clothes I wear in the cold weather.
Lord of the Hooligans.

Feral Donkey

Re: What it takes to execute a good shot if you're big.

Postby KODIAK » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:38 pm

Excellent FD. Yep, when you find a little something that improves your shot, it can be pretty exciting. I use to overdraw a bit. Subconsciously I guess I liked the little extra speed I got or somethin'. Problem was I was torquing the string to get that extra half inch. When I figured that out it was like "EUREKA!".
KODIAK

Postby Rico » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:43 pm

I know I shoot totally different than those OLY guys but then again I don’t want to nor could I ever be an OLY contender. I just want to kill animals. Not that they couldn’t but it just doesn’t seem to have much flexibility built into it.
I shoot right handed and my stance is so open that my right foot is sometimes in front of my left it really doesn’t seem to matter much what stance I have. Just the stance alone can change my draw length and a clicker would not work well for me, the more I face the target the shorter the draw plus for lack of better word I snap shoot.
It may sound unorthodox and it is for target shooting but how well does one really need to shoot to be able to kill a deer size animal at 20yds or under?
Surprisingly shooting Instinctive as Asbell describes is remarkably accurate and very flexible.
"If you have to defend your archery tackle as being Traditional it probably isn't" Fred Bear
Rico

Postby rwsbow » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:53 pm

I've been doing it kinda like you also, FD....about 3 years or so ago I changed from an under-the-chin anchor to a high corner of mouth anchor...then I started using Hank's recommendation of the web behind the jawbone thing, and it shortened by draw a little more..went from a 30 inch arrow to a 28 1/2..had to open the stance a little more, but soon took care of that...it also relieved the arthritis and bursitis swelling in the left elbow by realigning the arm and grip..and right now, I am very pleased with my shooting....as long as it get a deer or two this fall!!!
The reason I support the 2nd Amendment is because I'm too young to die but too old for an ass whoopin' ! 

rwsbow

Postby Hank » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:10 pm

What I was surprised about watching the Oly stuff is how awkward many of them looked. Some lean over, many were not in a perfect line, some elbows were inline and some were not. Just interesting to observe.
a genetically modified by aliens life form, known as Hank
Hank

Postby BLACK WOLF » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:14 pm

Right on, Feral :!:

What it sounds like you did...is take the basic principle of trying to develop and maintain consistantcy and customized it for your body structure, goals and personality...which is something I believe....EVERYONE should do...how or whatever that may end up looking like.

Ray ;)
BLACK WOLF

Postby Feral Donkey » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:21 pm

BLACK WOLF wrote:Right on, Ferral :!:

What it sounds like you did...is take the basic principle of trying to develop and maintain consistantcy and customized it for your body structure, goals and personality...which is something I believe....EVERYONE should do...how or whatever that may end up looking like.

Ray ;)

Exactly!!! We're not all made from the same mold.
Lord of the Hooligans.

Feral Donkey

Postby cst » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:22 pm

The best shot I know (with any kind of bow and he shoots them all) shoots with a very open stance and a dead release. He has been doing it for fifty years that way and doesn't make any claims one way or the other about it. It is just the way he shoots. Worked for him at the nationals a couple of times.
cst

Postby longbow billy » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:44 am

I often see the advice given(another forum) to point your bow shoulder at the target. Whats confusing about that advice is how's the string gonna clear your body? They must be short drawing and canting the bow a bunch. not to be losing delicate body parts :o
longbow billy

Postby Feral Donkey » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:34 am

Nah, those guys just have real sunken chests so they got all kinds of clearance. They look like Ethiopeans. Vic Tanny needs to kick sand in their faces and walk off with their girlfriends. :lol:
Lord of the Hooligans.

Feral Donkey

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum