Skip to content

Good beginners longbow?

This is a longbow discussion forum that covers everything having to do with longbows. From board bows, to primitive self bows, to modern RD longbows made with synthetic laminates, your ideas, comments, and questions, are welcome here.

Good beginners longbow?

Postby rwsbow » Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:41 pm

OK, guys, don't fall off your chairs but...
Am looking ( and I emphasize just looking) at some longbows that would be good for me to start on...and NO, not an A&H CX or a Hill Big Five...we are talking about beginners!!
Is there any out there that would be more comfortable for a recurve shooter to try..would prefer something that has a semblance to a recurve grip..Any suggestions on a good website to check out? 40 # ers!!!

Thanks...Roger
The reason I support the 2nd Amendment is because I'm too young to die but too old for an ass whoopin' ! 

rwsbow

Re: Good beginners longbow?

Postby PAarcher » Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:28 am

http://www.tradtecharchery.com/Items.aspx?hierId=Longbow

I'd start on Tradtech's site. In the catalog they have a nice hybrid called the Verna listed. Made by Samick. It's not on the Tradtech site so you might want to call Lee. It looks like a really nice bow. The Internature Viper is supposed to be pretty nice. Fiddleback shoots one and seems to like it.
I have heard nothing but good things about the Bear Montana.

Anyway, it's a place to start.
"If you want to see the crazies come out, just stick your dick in it." Feral Donkey-2013
PAarcher

Postby Feral Donkey » Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:47 pm

Maybe you can pick up a used Tred Barta somewhere. Those have more of a recurve grip.
Lord of the Hooligans.

Feral Donkey

Postby rwsbow » Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:52 pm

Thanks Mike..
Hey,FD, NOT!!! (Never seen his lonbows but they ain't helping him much from what I seen on TV) Even the law of averages says if you throw enough arrows, one of them might hit something!!

Jolly Roger!!!
The reason I support the 2nd Amendment is because I'm too young to die but too old for an ass whoopin' ! 

rwsbow

Postby LBR » Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:36 pm

I've never shot a cheap longbow I'd be comfortable reccomending to anyone--including the Montanna, but I haven't shot one in a few years. That 2x4 grip turned me off quick, and if that wasn't enough a guy I shot a course with got a massive blister from it. Maybe they have improved some.

I think you can still get a good one for a moderate price--don't have to spend near a grand anyway. Roy Hall makes a nice one, and you can get a recurve grip--I think he still has bows in the $400 range. The Martin Vision has a recurve grip--that one feels and shoots (and sounds) so much like a recurve I really don't see the point in it (just go ahead and shoot a recurve). Mike Treadaway makes some nice ones, and I think he still has some moderately priced.

'Course spending a bunch of money won't guarantee you anything--I've shot several that are priced at $1,000 and more that, if I had to shoot them, I wouldn't give you $5 for a truck load of 'em.

Chad
LBR

Postby Carbon Caster » Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:21 pm

What Chad isn't telling you, is that he sells a great on in the Crusader under his Recurves.com site. Checkmate makes a fine bow and the Crusader is one of my favorites that Marc builds. I am pretty sure it is the bow Chad shoots as well.

Longbows are fun!!!!
Carbon Caster

Postby mike robin » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:13 am

rwsbow
look at a K&M mountain bow---bill kerner builds them ---fast-smooth--- fair price---[also nice recurvie grip]
or a mikuta ----- ed mikuta builds a bullet-proof fast hybrid long-bow [fast-too] also a fair price

mike
chicks dig me
mike robin

Postby cst » Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:18 am

hey Roger, just saw this. You should check out Sapphire Archery. My hawk was inexpensive but definitely not cheap. It is the bow I shoot most often. Fast, light, pointable, and pretty smooth. The grip is perfect. Nearly everybody I have handed it to has shot well right away. I can't say (am I shilling? I paid for the bow!) enough about these. They are great inexpensive (for a custom) bows.
cst

Postby Cutty » Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:18 pm

Hey Roger, I've shot quite a few of them...I second the Crusader, also Yellowstones are a good value, Liberty's are a good value, and for a three piece Ernie's are a great value.

Martin Vision is a good transition LB, but maybe a little too much like a 'curve...
Fettucini, Linguine, Martini, Bikini...
Cutty

Postby stabow » Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:48 pm

How about a fox

stabow

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Longbowman's hideout