Skip to content


What's it take to execute a "Good shot"?

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

Re: What's it take to execute a "Good shot"?

Postby BLACK WOLF » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:41 pm

Hank wrote:Yes it was :)

Jim Fetro in a competition shot a 288 indoors with a deep cored straight risered longbow and wood arrows. Whats the the record across the pond....265?

288 is only 7 points under what Limbwalker shot at the Nationals with a full blown OLY rig.


That's amazing :!: I'm totally impressed :mrgreen:

Just goes to show you that individuals like that are very few and far inbetween. If it was easy to do with that kind of equipment...we would see alot more people using that kind of equipment to achieve those scores.

Ray ;)
User avatar
BLACK WOLF
 
Posts: 935
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:22 am
Location: Colorado


Re: What's it take to execute a "Good shot"?

Postby Hank » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:11 pm

If it was easy to do with that kind of equipment...we would see alot more people using that kind of equipment to achieve those scores.


Actually... I think alot of mis-information is being handed out about this type of equipment and very few understand how to shoot them properly. Most people don't have a clue and then start bad mouthing those style of bows.

To me it is obvious, the more shit you have on your bow to shoot, the less you really know about shooting.
a genetically modified by aliens life form, known as Hank
User avatar
Hank
 
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:03 pm
Location: Iowa


Re: What's it take to execute a "Good shot"?

Postby BLACK WOLF » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:20 pm

Hank wrote:Most people don't have a clue and then start bad mouthing those style of bows.


Wow...there are actually people who 'bad mouth' Hill style bows? What do they say that would classify as 'bad mouthing' them?

Hank wrote:To me it is obvious, the more shit you have on your bow to shoot, the less you really know about shooting.


Soooo...are you saying all it takes to shoot a Hill longbow at the calibur that Jim Fetro does is knowledge and being blessed with a God given gift of extrodinary hand and eye coordination won't make a difference?

If it really is that easy....why don't we presently see someone going to the Olympics shooting a Hill style bow with wooden arrows and why aren't you competeing in the Olympics if it's all just based on knowledge?

Ray ;)
User avatar
BLACK WOLF
 
Posts: 935
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:22 am
Location: Colorado


Re: What's it take to execute a "Good shot"?

Postby Feral Donkey » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:04 am

To me it is obvious, the more shit you have on your bow to shoot, the less you really know about shooting.


I disagree. I know a lot about shooting, form, and bow mechanics and I can't hit shit some days. Most days I'm average. I'm a natural born spazz. :lol:

Besides, I think if we all were shooting the same straight limbed bamboo backed osage self bows with dacron strings, Wesbrock, Yohon, and Roger would SMOKE just about every one of us. I'm sure some people would shine more than others who normally wouldn't, but people with skill are people with skill. No 2 ways about it.
Lord of the Hooligans.

Image
User avatar
Feral Donkey
 
Posts: 15871
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:30 pm
Location: The land of cheese and beer.


Re: What's it take to execute a "Good shot"?

Postby Hank » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:45 pm

Wow...there are actually people who 'bad mouth' Hill style bows? What do they say that would classify as 'bad mouthing' them?


Are you serious? :)
a genetically modified by aliens life form, known as Hank
User avatar
Hank
 
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:03 pm
Location: Iowa


Re: What's it take to execute a "Good shot"?

Postby rwsbow » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:29 pm

It doesn't take loads of extra "shit" on a bow to make a good shooter...but some accesories can help a person become better at putting the shot together correctly and maximizing their potential.
All of the Oly stuff on a FITA bow is used to "enhance" the archer's style...how a lot of that relates to use in the field is sometimes a different matter. Incorrect use or poor adjustment can make these items more detrimental than beneficial..but if used correctly and properly set up, it can help an archer overcome form faults, mental blockages or instill a confidence-boosting attitude towards a good shot.
IMO, it's up to every person as to what they feel is beneficial to put on their bow or leave off. Clickers,plungers,stabilizers,bow slings,sights,etc. can all hurt or help an archer...depending in how much confidence the person has in it's ability to maximize their accuracy.

For example, a plunger works very well with a clicker,especially when fine tuning the arrow/bow combo and an archer's draw puts the arrow selection "uncertain"..a slighty stiff/weak shaft at the point of "CLICK" (full draw)can be compensated for by adjustments of the plunger.But in the same breath, it can also cause multitudes of problems if it is used or adjusted improperly,or comes out of adjustment at the inappropriate time.Because of both poor instruction and improper use, I denounced plungers and clickers a long time ago..their use caused me more problems than correcting any problems..no longer acceptable for ME...but many people use them exceptionally well and have them properly adjusted. I have since learned both aspects, but the mental "scars" are still there and therefore I don't use them...STUBBORN :twisted:

It basically comes down to what each archer deems as "acceptable" equipment for them to use...flawless form would mean that nothing else would be required to compensate for any "weaknesses"..not too many of us fit in that category ( OK, maybe Yohon and Hank and a few others here)...but OOhhh, how nice it would be to have "IT" every day and alll the time..

Roger
The reason I support the 2nd Amendment is because I'm too young to die but too old for an ass whoopin' ! 


rwsbow
 
Posts: 4961
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:09 pm
Location: Eastern Kentucky


Re: What's it take to execute a "Good shot"?

Postby BLACK WOLF » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:16 pm

Hank wrote:
Wow...there are actually people who 'bad mouth' Hill style bows? What do they say that would classify as 'bad mouthing' them?


Are you serious? :)


Yes...seriously...do they say that Hill style longbows are pieces of crap? Junk? No good? What?

I've personally never heard anything like that.

Now if people are saying they are not as fast, as forgiving and/or more shocky than a certain other bow...I personally don't see that as bad mouthing...just someone stating an opinion based on their experience with shooting and comparing the 2 different bows.

Ray ;)
User avatar
BLACK WOLF
 
Posts: 935
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:22 am
Location: Colorado


Re: What's it take to execute a "Good shot"?

Postby superkodiak38 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:26 pm

Don't the people who compete at the worlds compete in a "class" ie, recurve, bowhunter, etc. If there is a class for it there has to be a winner for the class hence a Champion. If someone wins their class it's nt neccesarily because they were the best shooter, just the best in that class. If a certain style bow was capable of providing a consistant level of accuracy to shoot and win any and all competitions why doesn't everyone shoot one?

If you want to think that because someone can shoot so well with less technical equipment means we should all be able to do it then I should buy a set of the best golf clubs and go kick Tiger Woods butt, there is a lot of money to be made in the PGA.

Why cant we all just shoot what we want and have some fun with it ?
When you take your kid hunting and he says thank you and tells you how much he loves being in the woods with you, your day just isn't going to get any better than that.
User avatar
superkodiak38
 
Posts: 2988
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:56 am
Location: Down by the Bay


Re: What's it take to execute a "Good shot"?

Postby rwsbow » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:21 pm

What it takes to execute a "Good Shot" are good solid basic fundamentals...easily found in any beginners archery manual...and repeat them over and over....there's no "secret" to amazing shotmaking...just perfect practice of the fundamentals, repeated over and over flawlessly....and the ability to spot potential "problems" along the way....

(Just gotta learn how to do this myself.. :oops: )
The reason I support the 2nd Amendment is because I'm too young to die but too old for an ass whoopin' ! 


rwsbow
 
Posts: 4961
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:09 pm
Location: Eastern Kentucky


Re: What's it take to execute a "Good shot"?

Postby Feral Donkey » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:10 pm

rwsbow wrote:What it takes to execute a "Good Shot" are good solid basic fundamentals...easily found in any beginners archery manual...and repeat them over and over....there's no "secret" to amazing shotmaking...just perfect practice of the fundamentals, repeated over and over flawlessly....and the ability to spot potential "problems" along the way....

(Just gotta learn how to do this myself.. :oops: )



EXACTLY!!!! Maybe I should close this thread.
Lord of the Hooligans.

Image
User avatar
Feral Donkey
 
Posts: 15871
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:30 pm
Location: The land of cheese and beer.

Previous

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests