Skip to content

bow swap build-along for catamount (finished pics p10)

All build alongs are archived here for quick and easy reference.

bow swap build-along for catamount (finished pics p10)

Postby jwillis » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:33 pm

Well, I finally started the bow swap bow, so I'll do a detailed build-along so you all can see what I'm doing. This one is for catamount. The goal is a 62" takedown recurve with a 19" riser and my "C" limbs, 53# @ 28". I've got a pile of 4/4 osage lumber, so it will be a built-up riser with black walnut accents and brown glass. I've never made a riser with this many pieces in it, so this should be fun. This is a real-time build-along, so it may take awhile to get it all posted. I'll post a few pics each week as the project progresses.

(Just click on each thumbnail pic to see it larger)
I picked out this piece of lumber because it looked pretty good on one end and I couldn't get any six foot staves out of it for BBOs.
Rather than make a special trip to my Dad's shop to borrow his planer, I opted just to rip off some 2" strips for the riser.
Here's how they came out. I chopped em off on the miter saw to 19-1/2".
Then I sanded them on both sides in my simple DIY lam grinder until they were parallel and all the same thickness. I ran them all through at each thickness so they all came out the same when they were finished...about 2" x 3/4" x 19-1/2".
Next, I resawed some strips of walnut to go between the osage blocks. The thin ones to about .060" and one thicker one about .250".
And ground them to thickness in the lam grinder. I ground one side, then flipped the lam over and ground the other side.
Here's how they'll fit between the osage.
I've never made a "100-wood" riser...lol...so I decided to make an alternating accent stripe using maple and cocobolo scraps. I cut a 2" x 3/4" x something maple and chopped it into 2" x 3/4" x 2-1/2" pieces to alternate with the cocobolo. Note how I clamped a stop on the miter fence so I didn't have to measure and mark each piece.
Using a busted hacksaw blade, I roughed up the gluing surfaces of the maple and cocobolo pieces.
These will be glued up into a lam blank like this.
This will be glued to a sacrificial piece of osage to make it easier to square up and resaw later.
Then I did a dry run to see how it would clamp together.
Mixed up some Smooth-On.
Applied Smooth-On to all gluing surfaces using a small piece of wood as a spatula. I also make fishing nets and these scraps of wood laminations from the nets are perfect for use as little spatulas.
Assembled all of the little pieces.
Put a strip of heavy plastic on each side (I hate saran wrap) and a rubber strip on top (my dry run with the clamps showed that the rubber strip was needed to push down all of the little pieces since they were not all exactly the same height).
Clamped it up and let it dry overnight. I'm not using any heat on this.
My bow making blog is live at... http://www.buildyourownbow.com

Click here to see the Build Your Own Bow Facebook fan page at...http://www.facebook.com/BuildYourOwnBow
jwillis

Re: bow swap build-along for catamount

Postby Crooked Stic » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:38 pm

Lookin good so far. I thought I was the only one with a cluttered bench top. :o
Prez of the Crooked Stic Gang
Crooked Stic

Postby tjdeerslayer37 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:15 am

you call THAT cluttered? mine must be considered unpassable.

cool riser willis.
Save a tree, shoot a buck

>>------------->
tjdeerslayer37

Postby Catamount » Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:44 pm

Looks good so far. can't wait to try it out.
Catamount

Postby barebow » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:38 pm

Jwills nice lam grinder did you make that yourself. I have been tossing around making one or buying one, leaning more toward making one nice job.
barebow

Postby jwillis » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:16 pm

barebow, I made this simple lam grinder with all new materials for about $170. It works great, especially for overlays, but takes awhile to grind limb lams one at a time. Jim

Click here to see the Build Your Own Bow Facebook fan page at...http://www.facebook.com/BuildYourOwnBow
jwillis

Postby jwillis » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:45 pm

Here is the next photo update. As you can see this is moving very slowly. This has been a busy week, and I'm only getting into the shop about an hour a day or every other day.

(Just click these thumbnail photos to see the larger image)
Here is the multiple wood lam blank after I squared it up with my belt sander and disk sander. I just use the disk like a jointer since I don't have a jointer and have to go to my Dad's shop to borrow his.
I resawed a few lams with the bandsaw. This is my new Grizzly G0513x2 with a one inch blade. It is just right for ripping and resawing. The one inch blade is so stiff and stable that it will slice lams very thin and consistent. I learned from a Laguna video to resaw the lams off of the outside of the block, keeping the jointed square surfaces against the table and fence. This way you have to move the fence each time, but the lams come out very parallel and consistent.
Here are the lams. These are the first composite lams that I've ever made. I am very pleased. I spread on very thin layers of Smooth-On so there would not be much squeeze out and that really helped them stay straight.
I ground them on both sides in the lam grinder, grinding one side then the other and flipping them around before the next pass...and running each lam through this many times before changing the thickness on the grinder. This way they all came out the same thickness. I didn't measure them. I just ground them down until they looked good in the riser... about .060 or .070.
Next, I comped them up in the riser and measured where to cut them off for length. I just lined them up until they looked good and marked them.
Did a dry run with the riser pieces in the clamps.
Mixed more Smooth-On (last time I used too much, so this time I ended up mixing more three times...lol! Man, this riser took a lot of glue!)
Spread it out on all surfaces.
Clamped it all up with heavy plastic and let it dry overnight. No heat.
Squared it up with the belt/disk sander.
Marked the riser just to see what it would look like. Not bad. Next, I'll have to wait until I go to my Dad's house next Monday to plane it down to 1-5/8" In the meantime, I'll prepare the overlays and post that progress in the coming days.

jwillis

Postby tjdeerslayer37 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:06 pm

jim, when you square the bock up on the disc, do you find that it leaves kind of a dished surface? where the side that youre sanding is "dented" in at the center. whenever i take off more than 1/16" with the disk it starts to dish like that. im oving consistantly and in one fluid mothion, i never stop while im sanding but it still ends up dished.

man that profile is sweeet.

is that american osage? it looks like it. recently i got a couple blocks of wood from rockler and theyre argentine osage or something. its much brighter than the american, i wonder if it darkens with age also? i guess ill find out lol. anyone ever worked with the argentine stuff?

>>------------->
tjdeerslayer37

Postby jwillis » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:57 am

TJ, yes, mine will dish out sometimes on the disk sander but not too much. Like you said I keep it moving and not pause with the edge of the disk in the middle of the wood block. The edge of your disk is probably just a bit closer to the wood. Maybe the sandpaper is not completely sticking down flat there. This is not only American osage, but mid-Missouri osage from a local sawmill. I haven't used any Argentine osage so I can't comment on that. Jim

jwillis

Postby tjdeerslayer37 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:04 pm

the sandpaper is sticking there completely i checked. couuld i possibly shim up the center with a littl sticky sandpaper or something???

come on its monday wheres the new pics? haha just messin

>>------------->
tjdeerslayer37

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Bow Build alongs