Skip to content

Bow conversions

If you like to tinker with big or small projects and make new gadgets, this forum is for you. From arrow building to making a new kind of rest to replacing the cables and strings off your compound, here's a place where you can find like-minded people to discuss your ideas.

Re: Bow conversions

Postby Hank » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:27 pm

What about one of the new Barnsdale risers? looks like they might make a nice bow.
a genetically modified by aliens life form, known as Hank
Hank

Postby rwsbow » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:07 am

BTC,
Barnett made a recurve (Barnett Gold Rush) that used a 24 inch riser..but as most of the Barnett bows, was not a big seller..sure looked nice, though!!
The Polar LTD is faster as a recurve...

Barnsdale riser? Neat looking but WwAaYy outta my price limit, Hank!!!!!
The reason I support the 2nd Amendment is because I'm too young to die but too old for an ass whoopin' ! 

rwsbow

Postby Hank » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:54 pm

me too :)
a genetically modified by aliens life form, known as Hank
Hank

Postby Spider 1 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:45 am

Those all look pretty cool. Is there anything particular in a riser that you have to look for, or look out for? When ordering limbs, how do you get the weights right? Also, is there "better" places to order limbs from? Are there any particular bows that just seem to make better conversions?
like twenty serpents bound together, hissed the flying arrows feather.
Spider 1

Postby rwsbow » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:13 am

I've made a lot of these, but am by no means an expert on them, but here's what I found out....

Older compounds,(late 70's to early 90's) work the best because of the limb pocket angles...the newer compounds are too "parallel" without major shims in the limb butt pockets...I also look for a slightly defelexed riser,with narrower limb pockets...I like the Hoyt TD3 handles..Bear Black Bear,Black Panther,Cub (youth model) Jennings Lightning...the best one so far has been the Hoyt ProVantage (mainly because it feels just like a larger model of my Quinn)..but almost all the bows of that time frame will work well...sometimes you have to use the limb rockers to make them fit with the right angle..

I use inexpensive limbs from Lancaster Archery (Chiron Polaris limbs)..mainly because it's tinkering and experimenting, but they actually shoot real well..I normally order the limbs for a 66 inch Polaris and order 39 #..they become 42 lbs on most risers as they normally make a 62 inch bow..and still more weight sometimes occurs depending on the limb pocket angles..

Quinn limbs would be "killer limbs" on a bow as many people have made them (Quarf bows)...but for experiment, I just use Polaris limbs..

There's a site on ebay (garysarchery) that sells Samick limbs in the 40-55 lb range, also would be good limbs

Normally can make a good recurve for about $100.00 or less

Hope this helps,
Roger
The reason I support the 2nd Amendment is because I'm too young to die but too old for an ass whoopin' ! 

rwsbow

Postby Spider 1 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:54 am

Thanks Roger, I have a couple old compounds that need to be recabled to be made shootable. The guy at the pro shop ( I hate having to go to a "pro shop" ) told me it would cost more to get the bow cabled now that it's very obsolete than it cost new. They've just been laying around gathering dust and gettin in the way. I actually use one of them to block the entrance to the shop so the cats don't go in and track yellar dust all around the house :roll:

Every time I go to the flee market with the Mrs I see dozens of old 70's compounds and I just keep thinking how they could be saved by turning them into sweet recurves. I might just have to try a couple for a warm up and see how I like 'em.

Thanks again.
like twenty serpents bound together, hissed the flying arrows feather.
Spider 1

Postby rwsbow » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:03 am

Pic of the Martin Cougar conversion

rwsbow

Postby Bill Grenoble » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:30 am

That Cougar conversion is nice Roger. Is that a heavy riser, and what limbs on it? How long is that riser? Thanks, Bill
Bill Grenoble

Postby cst » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:22 pm

Funny, before I scrolled down and saw Bills reply I said out loud "that's a nice looking bow" Good work Roger.
cst

Postby rwsbow » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:24 pm

Bill,
Thanks...the riser is surprising light for what appears to be a thick riser..66 inches,a pair of 40 lb. Ragim limbs (bought at a yard sale, of course, I'm cheap)..riser length is...23 end to end,18 1/2 between the limb bolts (had to measure)..brace height 8 1/4 inches.. (sights soon to be installed!! :lol: )tried to get a set of Martin Aurora limbs to fit, but would have had to go ILF, and didn't want that..so, just bolt on limbs..

Chris,..
Thanks for the kind words...I have a lot of fun doing these as I'm not talented enough yet to build bows like in the bowyers gallery...maybe some day...until then, just simple,cheap and efficient conversions...

rwsbow

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to The Tinker's corner