Skip to content

Amateur Bowyer's Gallery

This forum is dedicated to the bowyer and his craft. This is the place to talk building techninques, design/theory, and anything about enhancing performance. Anything about bow building is welcome here. All build alongs will be housed in the sub-forum below.

Amateur Bowyer's Gallery

Postby BLACK WOLF » Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:52 pm

Alright guys...I got the OK to try this. This will be a sticky showing the different bows that the many skilled amateur bowyers here have created to make it easier for people to see the bows each one of them has made instead of having to search the archives.

Each bowyer will have one post to showcase their bows and everytime that bowyer creates a new bow that they would like to showcase...it will get added into their orginal post.

When you start a post and add a picture of your bow...please also include a brief description of the materials in it and what the draw weight is at the specific draw length....and if you have tested them through a chrono...give the arrow weight and arrow speed too.

I haven't mastered editing here yet so hopefully we can add multiple pictures to each bowyer's post.

There is some great talent here...and I wanted to create a way to showcase each bowyer and the bows they have created.

Ray ;)

ATTENTION - I'll let posts with only comments and questions stay up for a little while so everyone has a chance to read them but than I'm gonna eventually delete all posts that are just comments or questions on the 'Amateur Bowyer's Gallery' so that just the bowyers and their work are being shown on here. I hope you all understand...I totally support any of you being supportive and encouraging...but would suggest you PM the bowyers personally if you would like to share something with them.

Thanks,

Ray ;)
BLACK WOLF

Re: Amateur Bowyer's Gallery

Postby tjdeerslayer37 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:05 am

oo oo me first!

haha, i cant figure out how to sticky this so it must just be feral and gino that can do it? to edit and add more pics after the original post you just have to click the little red edit button at the top of the post.

this is my dads bow. this one is 66" 43@28" cocobolo limbs over actionboo core. cocobolo and bocote riser with a black glass-osage-black glass accent running through. chrono numbers, SLOW. ;)

moms bow. this ones a hill style bow. purple heart limbs over actionboo core. birdseye maple riser with purpleheart and red phenolic accents. 45@28" also SLOW. :P

my bow, the hooptie. 61" t/d recurve. zebra riser, walnut limbs. yellowheart wedges and accent in the handle.

juniper lib veneers, curly maple riser with bocote/black glass/maple mosaic. 65" 46#@28"
12 strand b50 with silencers, at exactly 10 gpp 153FPS.

Save a tree, shoot a buck

>>------------->
tjdeerslayer37

Postby Gino Bruno » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:51 am

first off, i wish i had half the talent that TJ shows already....... i would be sooooooo embarassed to show my first few bows next to his.

here are a few of the ones i have built that i have pics of.

most recent...... 60" recurves cocobolo/african blackwood riser, highly figured bubinga veneers, old stock maple actionwood cores. highly figured zebrawood/macassar riser, zebrawood veneers old stock maple actionwood cores (the limbs are nonstatic tip). 55 and 54lbs @28" respectively. 186fps 10gr/lb @28" 7 3/8" (i make all of my strings from D97 and they are 12 strand padded loop endless) brace with yarn scilencers off the shooting machine.

7075 aluminum hybrid. inalys and grip are leopardwood and zebrawood with macassar/osage accents. limbs are carbon with boo flooring and walnut cores. 64" 53@28" speed off the machine was 185 fps 10gr/lb @28" 7.25" brace and yarn silencers

6061 aluminum recurve. inlays, grip, veneers are same as the hybrid above....... zebrawood, leopardwood, macassar/osage accents. cores are one lam of boo flooring and one lam of old stock maple actionwood. static tip limb. 187 fps 10gr/lb 7.25" brace with yarn silencers

62" recurve for my brother inlaw...... 56@30". same woods as the metal bows. in these pics, the riser just had it's first of 6 filler coats of finish on it and was not complete. the limb butts were not shaped yet. this had the static tip limbs. never tested the speed on this one.

here is the only one i have of the bow i built for my wife...... again, riser had it's first filler coat on it. wenge/zebrawood, macassar and maple accents. limb veneers (not posted) are highly figured walnut and zebraw in the same splice config as my brother inlaw's and my metal recurve......... oh how i hate finishing wenge..... that is some seriously porus stuff... but it sure is pretty when done.

assorted 1 piece hybrids some are 60" and some are 62" the first two have ultra thin glass and veneers ground down to .010 or less over carbon.... the 2nd two are just glass. never measured the speed of the two glass bows in the pics but they are usually right around 182 10gr/lb off the machine ready to hunt (normal brace and silencers), the carbon under glass are about 6fps faster.

macassar/cocobolo riser black glass/osage accents. wave spliced leopardwood/zebrawood veneers with macassar osage accents. 60" 65@28"

macassar/zebrawood riser carbon/osage accents same veneers as the above bow

glass hybrids- cocobolo/bocote riser with dyed quilted maple veneers and chechen riser with dyed boo veneers.

here is a pic showing the difference in the glass limb vs. the very thin glass and veneers over carbon.... both bows came off the same form, are 60" and are 58@28". notice how much thinner the limbs with carbon in them are.

50" straight limbed kids bow that i built for my nephew isaac. cocobolo/bocote riser with red elm limbs under glass. 22@22". speed at 10gr/lb is maybe 80fps LOL.

i have a BUNCH of pics of a lot other bows that i have built...... when i get some more time, i'll post them.
Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.
Gino Bruno

Postby Spider 1 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:27 pm

Great work guys. Gino, yer a tough act to follow!

Here's a pair bows I made for my son and his wife. They are both 64" R/D BBO's with maple riser pieces. The one on the left is hers and it draws 30#@28", the darker one is his and draws 55#@28".

This next one is a straight limbed BBO with a Cherry riser piece and is 58" long and draws 62#@28". I made it for the 1st Ambush bow challenge over at the Bowyers Journal. It finished in the top 7 but unfortunately popped a splinter in the final testing and was disqualified. I fixed it up some but in doing so it lost almost 20# of draw weight.

Here's a little shooter I made for my daughter. A 62" BBO R/D with a cherry riser piece and Cherry tips. It draws 28#@28"

This one I made for a friend, a 64" BBO trilam with walnut in the center and tips and a maple riser piece. It's a R/D and draws just under 40#@28"

Bamboo Backed Hickory. Nothing like a good piece of hickory! 62" long R/D and draws 42#@28". I put horn tips on this one and decided it looked so good that all my longbows will get 'em now.

I hope you like 'em. I've made some selfbows and other more primitive bows, but I don't have many pictures of them handy. I'll try and get a few of them later. Enjoy.

--------

Well, here's another bow I did a while back. It was one of the first "learning experiance" bows. It's a 64" hide backed red oak board bow drawing 45#@28". Fact is, this is the bow I've been shooting lately.

Last edited by Spider 1 on Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
like twenty serpents bound together, hissed the flying arrows feather.
Spider 1

Postby Crooked Stic » Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:05 pm

Here goes
Dymondwood aboo 62 In 56@28
Dymondwood zebra and aboo 62 In. 56@28
Osage ebony bubinga aboo 60 in. 52@26
Dymondwood aboo 60 in. 45@28
Top one is dymondwood and bacote. Limbs are Oust carbon back boo core bacote belly 62 in 52@28
Bottom one is osage bloodwood aboo 62 in 47@28
Kingwood ebony aboo 62 in. 52@28
Cocobolo zebrawood curly maple 64 in. 52@28
This one has purple heart maple bloodwood riser snakes over boo 52@28
Ebony and bloodwood aboo 64 in. 52@28.
Thats a few of the better lookin ones.
Prez of the Crooked Stic Gang
Crooked Stic

Postby Dan Bonner » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:49 pm

Here are a bunch of pics of different bows ive built. They are all from 48-55@ 28 and range from low 170s to mid 180s FPS with 10gpp. I will update more when I have time.

Dan

Dan Bonner

Postby Sixby » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:48 pm

Man thats a bunch of gorgeous bows: Makes me feel like an amature amature.
Sixby

Postby Apex Predator » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:34 am

After seeing what is above me in the "amateur" category, I wonder if there should be another category called "amateur wanna-be". Wow!

This first bow was my very first bow-building attempt back in 1998. It's a hickory self-bow, 66" 55@28. Tiller is poor, she has 3-4 inches of set, but still shoots well. Included in the photo is an all bamboo back quiver I made last year.

This next one started my bamboo backed ipe addiction. She is also 66" 48@27.

This next one was my first bamboo backed bow, a bamboo backed osage R/D, that I started a year ago and just finished recently. She is 62 NTN and draws around 36@28.

These next two are boo backed ipe. The first is 64 NTN and draws 40@28 with a straight profile.

This next one is 48@27 and is an R/D.

This last is boo backed boo. She is a 66 NTN R/D and retains 3" of reflex. 48@27.

Apex Predator

Postby Catamount » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:00 pm

Delete post
Last edited by Catamount on Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Catamount

Postby Sixby » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:45 pm

Here's the first bow I built with glass. Its still shooting great which is a good sign for an 80 lb bow. I built it for my son for a Christmas present.
jim's bow.jpg
jim's bow.jpg (13.26 KiB) Viewed 42377 times

this is a 58 in Strike Eagle Double Carbon . flame Maple 58 at 28 Myrtle and Koa riser with triple moasaics.
strikeag2-35.jpg
strikeag2-35.jpg (64.21 KiB) Viewed 42170 times
10eaglewing1td.jpg
10eaglewing1td.jpg (185.2 KiB) Viewed 42255 times
photopak1.jpg
photopak1.jpg (170.39 KiB) Viewed 41924 times
this bow is Katalox (dark wood) English Walnut with super flame maple limbs and carbon boo core.
Attachments
eagbeargal.jpg
eagbeargal.jpg (13.38 KiB) Viewed 41743 times
Sixby

Next

Return to Board index

Return to The Bowyer's Gallery