Skip to content

Going after Pronhorn this fall. I Won a hunt!

Discuss any thing bowhunting from teqniques, to gear, to tree stands, to types of broadheads, etc. All bowhunting discussions are welcome here.

Re: Going after Pronhorn this fall. I Won a hunt!

Postby Jim Casto Jr » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:03 pm

I'm leaving the house the morning of Sept. 8, and will pick Jim up somewhere along the way before I get to Indianapolis. Our hunt starts on the 11th.
"Archery is really very simple. You just have to do the exact same thing on every shot"
Bill Leslie, July 22, 2017

"Form is everything."
Al Cole, June 7, 2008
Jim Casto Jr

Postby Mann » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:37 am

Starting to get really stoked for this hunt! :D
I don't think I've hunted west of the Mississippi since 2007
Mann

Postby superkodiak38 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:03 pm

Ya'll want me to hold some bail money for you ? ;)

Good luck !
When you take your kid hunting and he says thank you and tells you how much he loves being in the woods with you, your day just isn't going to get any better than that.
superkodiak38

Postby Robertfishes » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:47 am

Congats on winning the hunt!! Hope you guys have a nice safe trip. And take plenty of pictures share.
Robertfishes

Postby Jim Casto Jr » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:09 pm

Got home about 4 p.m. today. Had a great time. Saw a lot of pronghorns.

Had a nice buck coming in at about 8 a.m. on the first morning (Monday), when I heard this strange, loud noise. It turned out to be a Great Blue Heron that flew in, landed on top of my blind and scared the buck off. When the bird set down on my blind he collapsed the top and the metal hub hit me on top of my head--scared the beegeebers out of me. He pitched off the collapsed bind and landed on the dam of the pond. He was getting salamanders in the pond, but when I popped the ceiling back up, he flew off. I wished I'd shot the darn thing. I figured the day was ruined, but I had several more bucks come in. I passed on them as they were all smaller than the one the Heron scared away and I hoped he'd come back in over the next few days.

waterhole 02.jpg
waterhole 02.jpg (139.84 KiB) Viewed 1054 times

Well... he did come back in about about 9 a.m. but walked all the way around the blind and ran off back in to the prairie. Several more came in, but again I passed as the bucks were smaller too.

others.jpg
others.jpg (116.75 KiB) Viewed 1054 times

At about 10 a.m. I looked back to see six does coming in from behind me with "my" buck following them. The does went around to my right, while the buck broke and came in from the left. He stepped up on the dam of the pond, stopped and was looking across the pond at his harem on the other side. He offered me a perfect quartering away shot at about 16 yards. I sent the .400 full length Goldtip Traditional Hunter arrow, tipped with a 145 grain Grizzly broadhead his way out of my Hoyt Satori riser and 44# Uukha limbs.

The arrow hit him perfectly and I watched it disappear thru him. He turned and ran toward the prairie and fell about 60 yards from my blind.

Jim.jpg
Jim.jpg (250.86 KiB) Viewed 1008 times

Al Smith shot a buck in the early afternoon on Monday. He hit him a little high and only caught the top of one lung. Jim Mann and I helped him put the buck to bed that evening. We watched the buck until dark and went back to camp. After taking Jim to his stand on Tuesday morning, Al and I went back on top to look for the buck. We found him just after first light and the chase was on. Al dogged him for about an hour and the buck just gave up. Al simply walked up to him and finished the task.

Big Al.jpg
Big Al.jpg (181.6 KiB) Viewed 1054 times

We had perfect weather for this waterhole hunt. This ranch is full of pronghorns this size.

Unfortunately, Jim Mann didn't collect a buck on this trip, but it was great sharing another hunt with him.

If any of you guys are ever interested in this hunt, you can reach Jay Butler thru his Facebook page at: https://www.facebook.com/Pronghorn.Ranch.WY/
"Archery is really very simple. You just have to do the exact same thing on every shot"
Bill Leslie, July 22, 2017

"Form is everything."
Al Cole, June 7, 2008
Jim Casto Jr

Postby Stykshooter » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:14 am

Awesome!

Congratulations and thanks for sharing.
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Postby Yohon » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:01 am

Thanks for posting the pics Jim...antelope live in some spectacular country!!!
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby 4nolz » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:56 pm

Awesome!
there are 2 dates on your marker.Your life is the dash in between.
4nolz

Postby superkodiak38 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:08 am

Congrats and god job getting that other buck down ;)
When you take your kid hunting and he says thank you and tells you how much he loves being in the woods with you, your day just isn't going to get any better than that.
superkodiak38

Postby Mann » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:28 am

Now that was an Awesome trip!!
Unfortunate? I don't think so! :lol:
The way I look at it is You got to hunt for 3 hours and Big Al got to hunt for 5.
I got to hunt for about 45, So I obviously got the way better deal!
Mann

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to The Bowhunting forum