Skip to content

New member from across the pond...

This forum is dedicated to the bowyer and his craft. This is the place to talk building techninques, design/theory, and anything about enhancing performance. Anything about bow building is welcome here. All build alongs will be housed in the sub-forum below.

New member from across the pond...

Postby shinjomori » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:57 am

Hello every one,
New here so I wanted to introduce myself... If this is not a place for this on this forum - forgive me, I don't know my way around here...
I'm not a bowyer, but I feel the urge to make me a bow or two(dozen). I made some from PVC pipes, and they are fun to make and shoot, but wood is wood (not talking 'bout the early morning here :shock:).
It is not easy to get by materials for bow making here (I'm from Serbia, and archery is still on 'olympic' level here; very little interest in traditional archery, not to mention that bowyers are so scarce to find that there are none! A few novices have tried, but still working on it), since the demand for it is less than low. It is starting to change, but it feels like its not moving, rather evolving slowly... Anyway, though hard, something can be done, and here I am trying to learn to make a bow(s), since all you can buy here are metal olympic 3 piece take downs... Some effort has been made to introduce trad archery, but it's still bottle feeding and it's gonna take some time. Well, I can't wait.
I am currently learning Hill style shooting (you tube — John Shultz's videos are priceless) and enjoying archery in it's stick and string form with Ragim Wolf hybrid and am determined to make Hill flatbow with straight (or slightly dished) grip, and a hybrid and a schytian of my own. At least, I hope I will... :oops:
I hope you take me under your wing here, and I hope I earn 'my keep' here in months to come.
But enough words; maybe it would be better to introduce myself with some picks, and stop boring you right from the start :D. So here they are:
This is what my current bow looks like...
Some bows I made from PVC pipes:
Some of my dowel arrows; all are wrapped with self adhere PVC foil with print on it. Feathers are from goose (all done by hand so they don't look like much), and black feathers are raven feathers I found in the park. Nocks are selfnocks done by hand...
These are my latest with turkey feathers and plastic nocks
Image Image
And my latest attempt; still have to finish it (hope it doesn't brake on me), but it has to wait for a couple of weeks, 'till I take days off and have time to 'dig in'...
Yes, the handle is made of laminated pieces of laminations that were left after cutting them down to length(1/16" and 2/16" veneers). Bow should be about 68" when finished, and I'm hopping for at least 30-35#. No shelf, shooting of hand, and straight limbs 1 1/4" at the fades, about 1/2" at the tip. No glass on back/belly; have some health issues, so I can't touch the stuff. Hope beech and oak laminatios will do the job. We'll see...
Well, that's all from me for now. I do hope I didn't overdo it, but I thought — how else would you know who I am, unless I show you what I do?
Thanks for your time, and I am open to suggestions, opinions, instructions... 'Till next time,
Shinjo
shinjomori

Re: New member from across the pond...

Postby superkodiak38 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:17 pm

Welcome Aboard, beer is in the fridge leave the toilet seat up !
When you take your kid hunting and he says thank you and tells you how much he loves being in the woods with you, your day just isn't going to get any better than that.
superkodiak38

Postby Yohon » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:24 am

Interesting looking collection ya got there.....Welcome aboard the good ship!!!!!
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby shinjomori » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:03 am

Thank you, guys, the beer's on me next time :)
I see I didn't get the size of the picks this time, so just right click on any and you can see them in galery; I'll try to keep that in mind the next time... the best shooters are white hybrid with tan leather handle and Hill flatbow. Maybe that's why I decided on those to be the first laminated I try... We'll see...
shinjomori

Postby jeffhalfrack » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:56 pm

Welcome ,,nice stuff you have! While you're here look deep in the gallery for "Dick in seatle" he has hill build alongside that are great easy stuff to get where you are,,,,.I build American flat bows ,,,I've done a bunch with a single lam with glass ,check out Sam Harper bow building for poor folks site. Too ...JeffW
jeffhalfrack

Postby shinjomori » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:59 am

Thanks, man. Isn't Dick the guy who had a web site 'Ol'fart's archery' or something? I think I stumbled on it awhile back, I'm gonna check it again, and check him out on this forum, I can learn plenty from him; although, I think hes site has changed or closed or something... Poor folks bows looks like a great site, thanks for that too. Boy, I should've joined the pirates a long time ago :D Do you have a link to your bows Jeff? I'd like to see 'em, AFB is my kind of 'stick and string'...
shinjomori

Postby jeffhalfrack » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:45 pm

No link ,,,,lucky I can turn these confuzers on,,btw on your all wood bows don't be afraid to back them with silk! ,,I like that pic of the pvc hill bow of yours! Those things shoot good,,Dick is still kicking not much bow building,,I email him one of his sites has a contact,,,,I sure would love to meet that guy!,,,and just about all the Pirates too
jeffhalfrack

Postby shinjomori » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:01 am

Silk? You're right, I would be thinking twice... And what glue would be good for it? Titebond II or III, or epoxy, or some other type? I guess depending on the glue, it takes part in poundage or just splinter prevention? I have no experience, just 'thinking out loud' based on what I've read so far...
That Hill one is a great shooter; it's 40-ish #, it's only 60" (about 57 ntn), and it doesn't slap the wrist if I go 6.5" of brace height. I thought I should try that with laminated Hill style (or AFB, what ever comes out in the end) and see if it works for real bows too... Just a thought... Anyway, since you liked it (and I need to practice uploading without shortening the pic), here's a few more of it; it's not perfect, but shoots like a dream with almost no handshock since I put wool silencers. It took a set, but just about 3/4" or so, and hits where you look :)

shinjomori

Postby Stykshooter » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:26 am

Looks like you have the archery addiction bad! Welcome aboard, you have some good looking stuff there.
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Postby shinjomori » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:48 am

Thanks, it is so good to be here among the people with the same 'disease' that understand your pain, and yes... I got bit... and it is terminal... now if I could just make some whilst I still have whatever youth is left in me :D
shinjomori

Next

Return to Board index

Return to The Bowyer's Gallery