Skip to content

Nose to string anchor

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

Nose to string anchor

Postby tjdeerslayer37 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:51 pm

Hey guys, been really trying to improve my shooting lately and in the process trying some new stuff. Ive always lacked a real solid anchor and I'm trying an anchor with the string touching the center of my nose, sort of "Olympic style". For anyone thats shot with that type of anchor, am I supposed to be seeing on the left side of the string (right handed)? Cause my right eye is definitely on the right of the string. It seems to be working out, and is certainly more solid, so maybe I'm making mountains out of ant hills, just seems strange to me...
Save a tree, shoot a buck

>>------------->
tjdeerslayer37

Re: Nose to string anchor

Postby Jim Casto Jr » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:04 am

tj,

Anything that adds consistency is a plus, so I guess everything is worth trying. Anchoring to your nose could be a good thing depending on where you're anchoring. If you're anchoring on the front of your face, you'll give up some draw length and your alignment may suffer. If you're anchoring under your chin, then, you can expand without issue.

I went through a spell a while back and began using string blur along the outside of the riser. It's been working great for me.
"Archery is really very simple. You just have to do the exact same thing on every shot"
Bill Leslie, July 22, 2017

"Form is everything."
Al Cole, June 7, 2008
Jim Casto Jr

Postby tjdeerslayer37 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:38 am

Ive actually sort of combined some things. I'm still using the corner of my mouth / k9 tooth as a reference but tipping my head in to touch my nose to solidify my visual alignment. Granted, I probably look like an idiot lol. According to my clicker I havent lost any draw length and may have even gained 1/4". Tell me more about string blur, something I can do even though I'm currently shooting sights?

>>------------->
tjdeerslayer37

Postby superkodiak38 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:30 am

I shoot with a "C" anchor ( thumb under my jaw) and the string touches the end of my nose. I have long arms and I can get a pretty straight line from my elbow through the point of the shaft like that. I can expand and I feel the string push against my nose but only for a second and it is gone. I am not a gap shooter but this method would give my current set up about a 50 yard "point on". It took a while to adjust but I get two solid anchors and the best " straight line" I can get so my shot conclusion is a straight pull through. I have a closed stance so my feet are perpendicular to the target.
When you take your kid hunting and he says thank you and tells you how much he loves being in the woods with you, your day just isn't going to get any better than that.
superkodiak38

Postby marc » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:50 am

Are you shooting a really short bow? If I did that I would be giving up over an inch of draw length.

I do the C mandible like Tim but that puts the string past my nose and touching my eyebrow. I also blur the string on the middle of the riser like Jim does. All string blur is is noticing the strings alignment on the bow. You can use the outside, center, or inner part of the riser to ensure proper alignment.
"There is a fine line between tough and stupid and I think I found it" Ken Rohloff
"I'd hit that, with my truck" Ken Rohloff
marc

Postby tjdeerslayer37 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:32 pm

Nope, it's like 62-63", I've never officially measured it its just something I cobbled together. I'll try out some different stuff and see if I can figure out the string blur deal too.

>>------------->
tjdeerslayer37

Postby tjdeerslayer37 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:36 am

I've been watching some videos looking at different anchors and shot processes (cause that's what I'm supposed to be doing at work right?), saw this particular angle and it shows his eye alignment fairly well. I'm almost certain his right eye is on the right side of the string so maybe whatever I have going on isn't as weird as I'm thinking?

>>------------->
tjdeerslayer37

Postby tjdeerslayer37 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:44 am

Also, I shot 236 5x at 21 yards a couple days ago with these new changes. I know its not great but it's quite a bit better than ive done before.

>>------------->
tjdeerslayer37

Postby superkodiak38 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:07 am

I know a lot of people will tell you it matters and that your eye should be over your shaft all that matters in my opinion is that you do it the exact same way every time. Everyone's face is different, all our arms aren't the same length etc. If you can make it repeatable and you are confident with it you can own it.
When you take your kid hunting and he says thank you and tells you how much he loves being in the woods with you, your day just isn't going to get any better than that.
superkodiak38

Postby tjdeerslayer37 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:27 pm

Ill buy that :lol:

>>------------->
tjdeerslayer37

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum