Skip to content

Purple heart for tapers??

This forum is dedicated to the bowyer and his craft. This is the place to talk building techninques, design/theory, and anything about enhancing performance. Anything about bow building is welcome here. All build alongs will be housed in the sub-forum below.

Purple heart for tapers??

Postby Robertfishes » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:18 pm

One of my friends wants me to build a special bow. Bow will be a 58" one piece recurve 30# at 28". But here is my potential problem..he wants it all purple and black. The riser will be black phenolic with a purple heart swoop thru it. He wants purple tapers too, my question is has anybody ever used purple heart for limb cores?? I would use one taper and one parallel between black glass..
Robertfishes

Re: Purple heart for tapers??

Postby Crooked Stic » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:12 pm

I would probably work. Certainly not the best choice for cores. Too heavy. Don't know if you could find some stain and do the edges before sealing or finish. Actionboo would take stain nice.
Prez of the Crooked Stic Gang
Crooked Stic

Postby Robertfishes » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:29 pm

I wasn't sure if the Actionboo would stain properly with "smooth on" soaked into it..
Robertfishes

Postby Crooked Stic » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:47 pm

You will see the glue line but I would think
It would take stain. You could do a short test strip to find out for sure.
Prez of the Crooked Stic Gang
Crooked Stic

Postby stagmitis » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:59 am

I would not hesitate on all PH lams. It will match the swoop perfectly and gracefully darken together with age :D
Also you may find a reduced stack is needed due to the stiffness of the PH. Unless your buddy is a performance nut and a really good shooter would he be able to tell the difference in core choice? Sounds like he may just want a unique cool looking bow!
stagmitis

Postby Robertfishes » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:57 am

After several delays this project is back on the bench.. I will be using purple heart for tapers. I got a piece of Black phenolic from Big Jim. I will be putting a swoop or 2 of purple heart in the riser.
Robertfishes

Postby 4nolz » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:50 am

Black glass? PH under clear glass has been oily and gassy in my attempts.
there are 2 dates on your marker.Your life is the dash in between.
4nolz

Postby Robertfishes » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:40 am

Yes black glass. Bow will be All black and purple with gloss finish. I just hope I make weight.. I have only used red elm or actionboo so my formulas are for these two. Using Actionboo a 0.233 stack usually makes a 34# bow, I am going with a 0.230 stack and will see what I get..I might have to trap the limbs to hit weight.
Robertfishes

Postby Robertfishes » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:17 pm

I have been slowly working on this one..I sprayed it with Krystal last night, got a couple of small runs that I will wet sand out.. Then I am gonna hand polish it till it's nice and glossy. I ended up heavy at 35# at 28" but it should be good..I'm building it for a 30 year old guy and he has a 42# D/R and a Set of 37# ILF limbs I built him. He is the only archer to have all 3 of the bows I build..other than Myself and Helen.
Robertfishes

Return to Board index

Return to The Bowyer's Gallery