Skip to content

String Blur. Who uses it?

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

String Blur. Who uses it?

Postby Jim Casto Jr » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:35 pm

I went to Cloverdale, IN last weekend. I was having real problems with my rights and lefts. I don't claim to be a "good" shot, but this was really unusual and became quite annoying. Never experience that much inconsistency.
I recalled an online conversation we had here a few years ago with Rod Jenkins-- he brought up string blur. This past week I worked on using the string blur. After a couple sessions it's almost become second nature. When I come to anchor, I set the string blur along the right side of the riser, then continue my expansion to conclusion.

The right and left problems I was having last weekend vanished. It's made me curious... how many folks use string blur? Am I just (very) late to string blur game?
"Archery is really very simple. You just have to do the exact same thing on every shot"
Bill Leslie, July 22, 2017

"Form is everything."
Al Cole, June 7, 2008
Jim Casto Jr

Re: String Blur. Who uses it?

Postby superkodiak38 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:51 am

That's interesting Jim, I have heard about it but never used it, consciously, I can see how it would work as it promotes another bit of consistency but I don't know if my pea sized brain can handle thinking about one more thing before I drop the string :D Are you going to use it on every shot or just a tool for correction ? I would think anyone who has experience "TP" might have an issue with an added step or maybe the added step would help ? I don't know?
When you take your kid hunting and he says thank you and tells you how much he loves being in the woods with you, your day just isn't going to get any better than that.

Postby Yohon » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:03 am

Having seen Rod shoot he has very little face/hand contact to his face other than his anchor so I can see where lining up a string blur would help be another anchor and keep him lined up. I have my anchor, feel my string and also have a feather touching so Im locked in. I never use a peep when I shot my wheels and used the string blur on the edge of my sight ring as my rear anchor/sight. Like you left/rights are a real sticking point with me, thus all my anchor points but you gotta use what you can to eliminate them. Like most of this stuff Im always asking myself....why couldn't I have know all this when I was 20 instead of 50......we could have gone places :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Welcome to the USSA

Postby rwsbow » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:51 am

I used to check my string blur when target shooting with sights on every shot, but once I quit the under-the-chin anchor 15 years ago, I only check it when shots start to wander left or right...then I do like you and align it with the right side of the riser...
The reason I support the 2nd Amendment is because I'm too young to die but too old for an ass whoopin' ! 

Postby marc » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:23 am

I check it every shot. Now I have done it for so long that I don't even think about it anymore.
"There is a fine line between tough and stupid and I think I found it" Ken Rohloff
"I'd hit that, with my truck" Ken Rohloff

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum