Skip to content

Krystal thinner??

This forum is dedicated to the bowyer and his craft. This is the place to talk building techninques, design/theory, and anything about enhancing performance. Anything about bow building is welcome here. All build alongs will be housed in the sub-forum below.

Krystal thinner??

Postby Robertfishes » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:16 am

I don't know why, but lately I'm getting a textured finish when spraying Krystal..I have adjusted my spray gun, slowed down my stroke, played with air pressure..now I'm thinking about adding a little thinner (10%). ML Campbell recomends their C160 36 thinner that is $43 per gallon before shipping. Can I get by with the med/fast drying lacquer thinner I get from the auto paint store? That's what I use to clean my FX1000 gun. I see that a few guys are now spraying "endura" so I may try it too..I bought a quart kit of T-Bird last week so I'm gonna try it on a bow at some point..
Robertfishes

Re: Krystal thinner??

Postby Kirkll » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:21 pm

Yup.... i've been using lacquer thinner for years with that stuff at about 10%. I prefer lacquer thinner#2 from a paint store. It's a bit cleaner and more refined. It runs between $60- $75 per 5 gallon can. and about $17.00 per gallon for singles.

Another thing than can cause too much texture is running your air pressure too high and not being close enough with your spray gun.... for laying level coats. turn your pressure down and stay about 6" from your bow. You have to play with your material flow a bit too so you don't lay in on to heavy..... using thinner you want more thin coats. It will sag on you if you go too heavy wit thinner material.
http://www.bigfootbows.com/
kirk@bigfootbows.com

Only archers are fool enough to want to make a composite with natural materials and man made materials, and then bend it repeatedly...
Kirkll

Postby Robertfishes » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:29 pm

Thanks Kirk, I was spraying at 20 psi but tried 27psi.. I need to go back to 20 and add 10% thinner and see how that works.
Robertfishes

Postby Kirkll » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:19 pm

I actually run my pressure a little higher than that bro. i use a 1.3 tip and run about 35#'s and adjust my fan to a fine mist.
http://www.bigfootbows.com/
kirk@bigfootbows.com

Only archers are fool enough to want to make a composite with natural materials and man made materials, and then bend it repeatedly...
Kirkll

Postby Robertfishes » Mon May 02, 2016 1:10 pm

Kirk, I finished a set of limbs last weekend and ran pressure up to 35psi..things did go much much better.. My spray gun has a 27 psi max sticker on it so I was trying to stay arround that. I may order a 1.3 kit too.
Robertfishes

Postby bearauto11 » Mon May 02, 2016 10:42 pm

Are you running that pressure at the gun or at a regulator before the hose?
bearauto11

Postby Robertfishes » Tue May 03, 2016 4:30 am

at the gun
Robertfishes

Return to Board index

Return to The Bowyer's Gallery