Skip to content

Help picking a miter blade

This forum is dedicated to the bowyer and his craft. This is the place to talk building techninques, design/theory, and anything about enhancing performance. Anything about bow building is welcome here. All build alongs will be housed in the sub-forum below.

Help picking a miter blade

Postby tjdeerslayer37 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:49 am

I picked up a new miter saw the other day. 12" compound slider. I'm trying to figure out what I need as far as a blade. Id like thin kerf, probably going to be cutting some trim, plenty of 2x4, and various bow materials. I was thinking about this blade, http://m.northerntool.com/products/shop ... oC_S_w_wcB not necessarily from northern tool, but if anyone can point me to a better option for my needs that would be great! Thanks :mrgreen:
Save a tree, shoot a buck

>>------------->
tjdeerslayer37

Re: Help picking a miter blade

Postby Stykshooter » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:47 am

Personally, I find it hard to get away with just the one blade. I buy a very good, expensive, fine tooth blade for finish work when I am running trim and then buy several cheaper, coarser blades for when I am using the saw to cut 2 X 4's or 4 X 4's for framing. Neither seems to do a good job of doing both.
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Postby tjdeerslayer37 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:20 am

I was afraid that was gonna be the answer lol. :roll:
Save a tree, shoot a buck

>>------------->
tjdeerslayer37

Postby Kirkll » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:13 pm

If you are looking for a fine finish blade i'd go with a 10" blade to save money. My favorite that i've used for many , many years is a Matsushita Carbide Saw Blade. The 60 tooth 10" blade does very clean finish work..... the 80 tooth cut real slow and do not last like the 60 tooth... The thing about buying high quality blades is that they sharpen up nicely.

now if you are looking for economy blades go for Freud blades..... 24 tooth are a bit rough, but much more aggressive. the 40 tooth are pretty decent cross cut blades..... You can put smaller blades on that 12" saw no problem... the 12" blades are spendy bro... I've got a 24 tooth Frued on my 12" chop saw that i use for glass, phenolic, wood & everything. But its just for chopping stuff off. I have to use a backer board or it blows up glass & splinters lams.... For bow building i don't use a finish blade at all.

Here's an economical blade that will work ok too...

http://www.lowes.com/pd_152392-67702-72 ... 1194238665
http://www.bigfootbows.com/
kirk@bigfootbows.com

Only archers are fool enough to want to make a composite with natural materials and man made materials, and then bend it repeatedly...
Kirkll

Return to Board index

Return to The Bowyer's Gallery