Skip to content

Wedge materials

This forum is dedicated to the bowyer and his craft. This is the place to talk building techninques, design/theory, and anything about enhancing performance. Anything about bow building is welcome here. All build alongs will be housed in the sub-forum below.

Wedge materials

Postby Marcb » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:11 am

I was looking through the archives but only saw one mention of the atual material people use for wedges.

I was wondering what people use and if theres a meaningful difference between some materials.

Has anyone tried fiberglass based phenolic? Acrylic impregnated wood? Just straight walnut was mentioned somewhere on here.

Any thoughts? I'm going to be making the form over the next couple weeks hopefully and then the layup will start.
Marcb

Re: Wedge materials

Postby 4nolz » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:15 am

Most hardwoods,actionwood,dymondwoods or phenolic.
there are 2 dates on your marker.Your life is the dash in between.
4nolz

Postby Kirkll » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:17 am

Well i suppose it makes a difference on how thick your wedges are, but generally any good stiff hardwood will work. Stay away from western Curly maple, Juniper, and soft woods completely. Walnut will work fine even though its kinda soft. Its got good stiffness.

I've used G-10 garolite, (Real thin wedges) but i wouldn't use linen phenolic..... I would imaging the acrylic impregnated wood would work, but not sure about longevity with acrylics flexing.
http://www.bigfootbows.com/
kirk@bigfootbows.com

Only archers are fool enough to want to make a composite with natural materials and man made materials, and then bend it repeatedly...
Kirkll

Postby Robertfishes » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:16 pm

How about Zebrawood? I just made 2 sets of edge grain Zebrawood ILF wedges and was thinking about gluing up a set of limbs with one set..I have been using Santos Rosewood.
Robertfishes

Postby Kirkll » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:21 pm

Robertfishes wrote:How about Zebrawood? I just made 2 sets of edge grain Zebrawood ILF wedges and was thinking about gluing up a set of limbs with one set..I have been using Santos Rosewood.

Yup.... Zebra is good wedge material..... makes a fast limb core too.
http://www.bigfootbows.com/
kirk@bigfootbows.com

Only archers are fool enough to want to make a composite with natural materials and man made materials, and then bend it repeatedly...
Kirkll

Return to Board index

Return to The Bowyer's Gallery