Skip to content

Short curve

This forum is dedicated to the bowyer and his craft. This is the place to talk building techninques, design/theory, and anything about enhancing performance. Anything about bow building is welcome here. All build alongs will be housed in the sub-forum below.

Short curve

Postby tjdeerslayer37 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:16 pm

Hey guys, I'm really feeling the itch to get a new bow going. Not that I have any time for projects lol. Anyways, I'm thinking a one piece curve in the 52"-56" range but I have no idea where to start with dimensions. So I guess im looking for some design considerations. Taper rate, riser length, width profile, static or dynamic tips, etc. Even just pics of your short bows are welcome. Please and thanks!
Save a tree, shoot a buck

>>------------->
tjdeerslayer37

Re: Short curve

Postby Crooked Stic » Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:22 pm

4nolz is your man here.
Prez of the Crooked Stic Gang
Crooked Stic

Postby tjdeerslayer37 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:40 am

Crooked Stic wrote:4nolz is your man here.

Good thing I've got a supermag coming in the mail from him then ;)

>>------------->
tjdeerslayer37

Postby Gino Bruno » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:44 am

TJ, i'm getting the itch too though in the totally opposite direction (long longbow). can't wait to see what you come up with!
Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.
Gino Bruno

Postby tjdeerslayer37 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:44 am

Gino Bruno wrote:TJ, i'm getting the itch too though in the totally opposite direction (long longbow). can't wait to see what you come up with!

Better post up some pics when you get to it!

See I've got this set of really pretty waterfall bubinga veneers that some guy sent me ages ago, tucked away and awaiting the perfect opportunity to be put in a bow. This just might be it after a trial run with some black glass and maple. :mrgreen: did I mention I've been shopping for a piece of tulipwood to match them with?

>>------------->
tjdeerslayer37

Postby MOUNTER » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:46 pm

I've got an old American Indian 50lb 52inch bow I use for bowfishing... I was really surprised by how nice it shoots for a short bow..
MOUNTER

Postby 4nolz » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:49 pm

I'll be hunting until Jan.My form is a cross between a SM and a Browning Cobra.Tighter curves than the 50" Browning50" and less than the SM48". It's hard to hit weight without having more glass than lam.If you get going I have some stacks I can give you.Love short bows.
there are 2 dates on your marker.Your life is the dash in between.
4nolz

Postby BEN MAHER » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:30 am

I'm one of the guys who loves the look of short bows but struggle shooting them because of the fact that I generally kinda shit at archery ... :oops:

Look forward to see what you come up with .
BEN MAHER

Postby tjdeerslayer37 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:43 am

Yeah I pretty much suck at shooting too lol. Ive been shooting sights on my recurve for about a year now And i feel much more confident. Screw the trad police!

I doodled something up yesterday that would work for a 52" bow but i think ill try it as a 54" first.

>>------------->
tjdeerslayer37

Postby BEN MAHER » Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:32 pm

tjdeerslayer37 wrote:Yeah I pretty much suck at shooting too lol. Ive been shooting sights on my recurve for about a year now And i feel much more confident. Screw the trad police!

I doodled something up yesterday that would work for a 52" bow but i think ill try it as a 54" first.

Got pins on one of mine too ... but I wear plaid when shooting it and kinda squat so I am okay :lol:
BEN MAHER

Next

Return to Board index

Return to The Bowyer's Gallery