Skip to content

kinda quiet here on the bowyers gallery..2017 update

This forum is dedicated to the bowyer and his craft. This is the place to talk building techninques, design/theory, and anything about enhancing performance. Anything about bow building is welcome here. All build alongs will be housed in the sub-forum below.

kinda quiet here on the bowyers gallery..2017 update

Postby Robertfishes » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:51 am

Its been a few weeks since the last post by anyone....I'm working on a 35# 58" One piece black glass recurve with a black limbs riser and just starting a 66" longbow, zebrawood riser and East Indian Rosewood veneers.
Last edited by Robertfishes on Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robertfishes

Re: kinda quiet here on the bowyers gallery..

Postby MOUNTER » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:27 am

Sounds good. You've been busy!

I haven't been building much lately. My son needed a new bow so I re-worked a longbow of mine and dropped a bunch of poundage. He won a tournement (12yr old) with it already. It's Leapord wood and Tigerwood with brown glass limbs. Also built my 1st bow in 2yrs a few weeks ago. It's a 54" 3 piece longbow with a zebra wood and yellowheart riser with zebra venneers and maple core's. It's my daughters bow. I've drawn it to 28, but I think 26 is about max with a 12 degree pad angle. I'll try to get some pics. up soon.

Also have a bocote and caribbean rosewood recurve riser and a caribbean and paela longbow riser settin around that I need to do something with. Got the glass, glue and hardware, Just need core's and venneers and more spare time...
MOUNTER

Postby Robertfishes » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:54 pm

Finished 2 longbows and refinished 2 other bows after the 35# recurve. Started on a set of ILF limbs last night, hopefully the glass will be clear..I got some glass 2 months ago that is pretty much streak free but has some trash inside the glass, a small black/brown speck??? I am using it on ILF limbs and can sometimes cut around it or cover trash with limb butt overlay..
Robertfishes

Postby Robertfishes » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:06 pm

finally finished a set of ILF limbs I started over a week ago.. Santos rosewood veneers and bamboo tapers. Image
Robertfishes

Postby bearauto11 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:59 pm

That is some sweet looking wood. I have to get back on some stuff. Thanks for the inspiration.
--Tom
bearauto11

Postby Robertfishes » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:51 am

I built another set of 54# ILF longs for a local guy, bamboo tapers, Santos Rosewood veneers under Gordon's clear glass..he saw the Santos Rosewood limbs I built for our mutual friend and had to have a set.. I didn't have an extra riser so I got him a new VPA 15" black riser with a medium Jager grip.. This is his first trad bow, I am nursing my left shoulder and other problems...so I didn't shoot this bow before he got it. Our mutual friend owns the local Archery Pro Shop..and his trad guy (Jeff) built a padded loop skinny string for it and shot it a bunch. Jeff said he loved the way the limbs pulled and shot so that's good. I am currently working on a set of black ILF short limbs now for Jinkster, he recently bought a 21" DAS Elite riser and asked me if I would build him a set of limbs 40-45#s. amberboo tapers, morado wedge and black and red tip overlays. I had planed on building a set for myself using royal ebony veneers but other projects are taking my time
Robertfishes

Postby Robertfishes » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:22 pm

Image Image Image
last set of ILF limbs I built,
Last edited by Robertfishes on Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robertfishes

Postby Robertfishes » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:35 pm

Image picked up some nice walnut burl veneer today 18" wide and 28" long
Robertfishes

Postby bearauto11 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:59 pm

That stuff looks great. You think you can show that cool grain in a limb?
bearauto11

Postby Gino Bruno » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:05 pm

That will make a beautiful set of limbs!
Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.
Gino Bruno

Next

Return to Board index

Return to The Bowyer's Gallery