Skip to content

This forum is dedicated to the bowyer and his craft. This is the place to talk building techninques, design/theory, and anything about enhancing performance. Anything about bow building is welcome here. All build alongs will be housed in the sub-forum below.

Postby Marcb » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:38 pm

Hi,

Figured I would introduce myself. I found the site while looking for information on building ILF limbs.

I made an 18" riser for myself to play around with and possibly use for hunting. I'm mainly an Oly Target shooter but always had a thing for Trad shooting.

Any hints on taking good pictures? Best layouts, lighting etc? I'm not much of a photographer but I'd like to get some pics of this sexy riser I made and post them up.
Marcb

Re: New member

Postby Yohon » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:05 am

Welcome Marcb! If Topcamp or Lee Vivian see this you might get some good tips from them....fair photographers they are..... :D
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby topcamp » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:12 pm

the best photo advice........" keep it simple stupid ".........now don't take that personal.............what it means is.........basicly keep the background clean and uncluttered........use lighting from one direction......one basic light source.......ie the sun............use a reflector.......a wall........anything that will bounce light to fill shadows........shallow depth of field for most things focusing on the subject.......[ that means a larger aperture lens wise] just " sell " what you want someone to see..............

since i use a mac........i just downsize the jpg in photoshop for web use and pick it up off my desk top to make a post on here.......some on here use an image storage site to post images...........how one does it on a windows machine ..... :?: :?: can't help you as i find that operating system to be an abomination to man kind.............

as for the first paragraph in this post as to the how.........since the camera has been my life......i don't practice any of that shit............... :roll: :o .......... ;) :lol: :lol: the camera is only a tool for the way my mind wants to simplify what i see.......
the more we know about the " how " and the " why " of..........the less we see and notice about the " now " of the " when "...
_tc...on the inflation of life

on that day.......you wake up and never more what was .......will ever be again.
_tc on growing old
topcamp

Postby Marcb » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:20 am

I feel way to lazy after reading the news on topcamp and realizing how many weeks had passed and I couldn't even post a picture. Really need to prioritize better, makes you think about how many days you have left.

Not the best pic but its at least done. Don't be too impressed by the group its my garage setup so I'm about 9 yards away when shooting.

I used some beautiful curly walnut that I got in a trade years ago. Did vertical lamination with carbon fiber between layers. The sizing was done to allow the carbon fiber to be visible as the sight window. Its roughly sized similar (in cut past center and overall thickness) to the Hoyt RX that I shoot Oly Style with.

I did some rough calculations and then just guessed at the limb pocket angle. The goal was to make the limbs pull the same as on a 25" riser. I came very close - these are currently pulling about 1lbs heavier than they did on my old 25" riser.

Currently I have a pair of lighter target limbs on it (pulling 34lbs at my 32 1/2" draw). I've put a few hundred shots through it and it seems to be holding up ok.

I avoided putting any bushings in it except for the one for the flipper rest/plunger (which isn't a true bushing I simply tapped the wood itself with a little reinforcement with some epoxy). The shelf is spaced so that if I decide to do it I can build up the shelf using a little felt and/or leather and have a true off the shelf traditional bow

I made the dovetails, bolts and the threaded insert for the bolts as well (more tools and time than money). The bolt design was roughly copied from the Trad Tech bolts you can buy from Lancaster.

I used a commercial 5/16" bolt and made the head and limb contact sleeve. The bolt heads are 1" round 01 tool steel (lots of that laying around) that are press fit onto the bolt heads (with a bit of red loc-tite as backup) that I black oxided using the small kit you can buy (cold process with a clear coat)

The sleeves for the limb contact are 360 brass, they are uncoated and are slowly oxiding up to a nice matte finish. I machined a slight radius/shoulder on the bottom - center drilled and tapped them then used red loc-tite to secure them to the bolt. I then epoxied a thin nylon washer to the bottom of the bolt head to finish it off.

The wood was sanded to 240 grit and then finished with several coats of BLO, after the 2nd coat of BLO was applied I resanded with 240 grit and the wood became silky smooth - the curl really pops in the light.

Its roughly an 18" riser as these things are measured (bolt spacing + 5"). With long limbs its about a 63" bow. This is as small as I would go with my extremely long draw. I feel like the limbs are just beginning to stack a hair when I read full draw.

One of the people who looked at the finished riser commented on how "clunky" the bottom looks. I left the area below the grip fat to work as a natural counter balance. The bow barely rocks back after firing, similar to using a small/light hunting stabilizer in the 8-12 inch range on some of the other bows I've shot.

I really enjoy shooting this, currently the tune is such that it is very unforgiving. I'm leaving it that way because I picked up some bad habits while shooting over-training oly style (shooting too fatigued to hold good form, makes bad form feel right). Shooting this in my garage is really helping me eliminate those bad habits.
Marcb

Postby marc » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:21 am

I like it! I think it looks like a wood version of my 19" Titan.
"There is a fine line between tough and stupid and I think I found it" Ken Rohloff
"I'd hit that, with my truck" Ken Rohloff
marc

Return to Board index

Return to The Bowyer's Gallery