Skip to content

Strings for Selfbows

This forum is dedicated to the bowyer and his craft. This is the place to talk building techninques, design/theory, and anything about enhancing performance. Anything about bow building is welcome here. All build alongs will be housed in the sub-forum below.

Strings for Selfbows

Postby Fuzzy Dog » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:11 pm

I almost hate to raise the question of strings after all the crap that has gone around about them, but I need some advice.

I've been told that an endless loop string is "better" for a selfbow than a Flemish twist. The bow in question has horn tips on the limbs so it's fast flight ready. Does it make two shits worth of difference whether it has an endless loop or Flemish twist string, or is it, as it usually is, a matter of personal preference?
"Now I'm generally a mild mannered, live and let live kind of guy, but any fucking snake that gets between me and my coffee pot is just buckin' to be a hat band." The Topcamp Chronicles.

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.
Fuzzy Dog

Re: Strings for Selfbows

Postby Stykshooter » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:13 pm

I dunno.... doesn't really make sense to me though. I am pretty sure all of those self bows at Crecy had Flemish strings on 'em.
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Return to Board index

Return to The Bowyer's Gallery