Skip to content

Riser\shelf placement your thoughts exp..

This forum is dedicated to the bowyer and his craft. This is the place to talk building techninques, design/theory, and anything about enhancing performance. Anything about bow building is welcome here. All build alongs will be housed in the sub-forum below.

Riser\shelf placement your thoughts exp..

Postby einstin-7 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:58 pm

Hey there just wondering what your experiences are with riser placement 1/2" below center vs centered as well as the shelf location vs the real center of the bow?

I just finished a test bow recently out of bamboo flooring that I sawed tapered and re laminated and was quite pleased with but now would like to try and make a Hill style bow and I'm not sure where to place the riser. People say the risers on HH bows are roughly 4-1\2" at the handle and the shelf is about 1-1\2" above true center which would place the riser about 1-1\2" below center? This would naturally lead to a positive tiller.

All my bows so far have had center risers with shelfs about 1\2" - 3\4" above with neutral or slightly negative tiller and they seem to shoot really smooth and quiet.
I don't like positive tillers because it causes the bow to roll forward on the shot..

Would love to hear your opinions!
einstin-7

Re: Riser\shelf placement your thoughts exp..

Postby einstin-7 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:12 pm

BUMP!
einstin-7

Postby 4nolz » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:42 am

i am bumfuzzled by your wording can you re-state the question?
there are 2 dates on your marker.Your life is the dash in between.
4nolz

Postby einstin-7 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:03 pm

Sorry if the question was confusing..

Basically, if the center of a the bow with equal length limbs is 36" from the tip (or whatever length) , what are your experiences with the riser being placed below that center measurement or in other terms offset towards the bottom limb?
einstin-7

Postby Robertfishes » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:21 pm

On the KennyM design R/D longbow I build.. I put the arrow shelf peak 1 1/4" above center of bow..the middle of the dish of the grip is center of bow
Robertfishes

Postby Robertfishes » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:27 pm

.I think some all wood bows by design might have the top limb longer than bottom??
Robertfishes

Postby 4nolz » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:07 pm

Torges popularized the shorter lower limb in wood bows.If your form is true glass bows do not need it.I always place my shelf 1.5" above center.I actually made a recurve with a 1" shorter limb that shot the same but looks out of tiller with less recurve.
there are 2 dates on your marker.Your life is the dash in between.
4nolz

Postby stagmitis » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:07 am

Place your shelf an 1 1/4 above center of bow, use a 14" long riser w/ a 4" handle section and slide the center of handle 3/4" from the center of bow towards the bottom limb. This will give you an 1.5 shorter lower limb.

:D Hill style!
stagmitis

Postby Crooked Stic » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:27 am

The last longbow I built has the shelf about 2 in. above center. The reason is it is a sleeve type TD and to get the wrap to work out right this is how it needed to be.I can not tell any difference in the way the bow shoots with 1/8th tiller. I may even like it a bit better than the regular 1 1/4 above center.
Prez of the Crooked Stic Gang
Crooked Stic

Return to Board index

Return to The Bowyer's Gallery