Skip to content

couple jerky questions

Share your favorite recipes with your fellow sportsmen and sportswomen.

couple jerky questions

Postby tjdeerslayer37 » Tue May 20, 2014 5:15 am

So the few times ive made jerky before it never really came out good for one reason or another. Im ready to try again and i Have a couple questions.

When marinating, is there any benefit to vacuum sealing rather than just using a baggie or big bowl?

Im planning on using my electric smoker, what kind of temps should I go for? 160? Also I don't want it to come out crazy smokey so I was thinking just one good handful of chips and once they're gone they're gone, sound reasonable?

As far as a marinade I figured id just throw a hodge podge of stuff together but if anyone has something good feel free to let me know!

Thanks!
Save a tree, shoot a buck

>>------------->
tjdeerslayer37

Re: couple jerky questions

Postby tjdeerslayer37 » Tue May 20, 2014 5:22 am

Oh yeah does it matter if I lay it flat or should I hang the jerky in the smoker?

>>------------->
tjdeerslayer37

Postby Stykshooter » Tue May 20, 2014 5:31 am

I make half dozen batches of jerky each year. I have a huge plastic bowl that I put all of my strips in and then cover with the cure and seasonings. I leave it in the spare refrigerator in the basement for 3-4 days before I dry it. When ever anyone in the family walks by or happens to think of it, we pull it out and stir the concoction with a big wooden spoon. I think this method helps to get all of the pieces evenly covered with "juice".

I use a home made mixture of seasonings, and it varies from batch to batch as I don't measure anything and the amount of meat changes. I put the cure and salt, liquid smoke, hot sauce, mustard, etc in that everyone else uses. Two things that I always put into my mix and that I think make it great are a little molasses and some brown sugar.

I use a commercial dehydrator. It came with four racks and I bought extra so that I now have ten racks to stack up, so I can't speak about how well your smoker will work.
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Postby superkodiak38 » Tue May 20, 2014 5:37 am

I have never made jerky in a smoker, I use a dehydrator. Along with the cure I use Worcestershire, soy, black pepper, old bay, brown sugar, salt and a few other ingredients and pour it over the meat, cut against the grain, into a big ziploc and leave it in the fridge. I pull it out and "massage" it every few hours, I leave it in there at least a day before I start loading it and then I leave it run for 6 hours or so and then start checking it. I go by appearance then take a bite to tell if it's ready. I would think you shouldn't worry about reaching 160 degrees, my dehydrator is plastic and I am sure it doesn't get that hot. The sugar, salt and cure "cook" the meat and the low constant heat is the catalyst and also dries it out. I would think that smoking something that small more than an hour or so is a waste of wood chips. Maybe try it low and slow with and without the smoke ? Experiment a lil bit with small batches.
When you take your kid hunting and he says thank you and tells you how much he loves being in the woods with you, your day just isn't going to get any better than that.
superkodiak38

Postby tjdeerslayer37 » Tue May 20, 2014 6:37 am

The cure we're talking about is that pink salt stuff right?

>>------------->
tjdeerslayer37

Postby tjdeerslayer37 » Sun May 25, 2014 10:28 pm

Well I started the smoker set at 115 for a few hours with a small load of hickory and cherry. Seemed like it was taking forever so I pushed it to 130 and didnt add any more chips (hardly any burned at the low temps anyway) and it took like 8 hours I think.

I put everything but the kitchen sink in there, soy, teriyaki, worchestershire, pepper flakes, canned chipotles (blended up in the ninja), peppercorns, seasoned salt, curing salt. Im gonna call it a success, im actually impressed with it!

>>------------->
tjdeerslayer37

Postby Stykshooter » Sun May 25, 2014 10:54 pm

Outstanding. Be careful. Making and eating that stuff gets addictive!
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Return to Board index

Return to Cooking Wild Game