Skip to content

Stabilizing Wood

This forum is dedicated to the bowyer and his craft. This is the place to talk building techninques, design/theory, and anything about enhancing performance. Anything about bow building is welcome here. All build alongs will be housed in the sub-forum below.

Stabilizing Wood

Postby Crooked Stic » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:53 am

I got some African Mahogany That I would like to try and stabilize. I have done some research and come up with a couple of ways to do it myself. Thinking of making a vacuum chamber out of heavy pvc. This looks like the site that offers the resin at the best price.
http://www.turntex.com/index.php?option ... Itemid=121
Just curious if anyone has heard of or seen the results using this stuff? They also offer dies that can be used to add color to the wood. So a person could also make some colored accent stripes etc.
Prez of the Crooked Stic Gang
Crooked Stic

Re: Stabilizing Wood

Postby Trux » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:17 pm

Mike I know the pen makers swear by this stuff- never used it but have tried min wax wood hardener with poor results. A vacuum is a must. The dyes can be purchased at places like hobby lobby also. Test it out- I'm curious...
Trux

Postby Kirkll » Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:29 pm

you could build your own vacuum chamber easy enough from plexi glass i would imagine. I've got a good vacumn pump and a pot, but not big enough to put a riser block in....

i'll tell you what really intrigues me about this bro, is trying it out on lam stock. i wonder if you could just use vacuum bags? could you imagine what that would do to a piece of walnut or a set of myrtle wood lams? I know damn well it would drastically change the compression ratio. You'd most likely have to drop your stack height down considerably changing the density of your lams...... but what would it do to your limb weight?

What a cool project Mike. :D What say we play with this a bit? I'm game.....

i couldn't get the exact process for curing out this cactus juice from the directions. makes me think why couldn't you just use thunderbird thinned down 25%. i'll bet that would work excellent too.
http://www.bigfootbows.com/
kirk@bigfootbows.com

Only archers are fool enough to want to make a composite with natural materials and man made materials, and then bend it repeatedly...
Kirkll

Postby Crooked Stic » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:20 pm

Woodcrafters handles a different brand of resin and offers a complete kit for way too much money for my taste. But they have a good video on you tube on the process. You just pull a vacuum slow at first to prevent foaming and speed it up as the air is coming out of the wood and when you see very little air coming out the piece is done. Then wrap the pieces in foil (not touching each other) and put them in a pre heated oven 190-200 degrees for an hour or maybe longer depending on the size. I don't know how well a stabilized lam would bend and yeah the weight factor would probably not be good.
I am thinking you could take a piece of soft highly figured maple and add a little color to make the grain pop and come up with some very appealing riser blocks. And you know what bitch wenge is to fill---- :idea:
Yeah I think I am gonna start getting stuff together and give this try.
Prez of the Crooked Stic Gang
Crooked Stic

Postby kcbrown » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:15 pm

Keep us posted Mike, I have been kicking this around in my head for a long time but that's all. Let me know if I can help.
kcbrown

Return to Board index

Return to The Bowyer's Gallery