Skip to content

Joel Turner TP dvd ....

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

Joel Turner TP dvd ....

Postby BEN MAHER » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:49 pm

I received my copy of Joel Turners DVD yesterday . I picked it up after hearing a few lads mention his method and the phone chats they had had with Mr Turner . I am interested in anything that involves TP , but at the same time i am always somewhat skeptical as well . But a few chats I had with Jim Casto got me even more curious so I went ahead and ordered.

I think it is geared , as it would be , towards people attending his clinics , and overall it seems somewhat simplistic . Some of the information at face value seems to fly in the face of conventional archery wisdom , but I believe that is actually complimentary in many ways .

I went out this morning and flung a few , using his "method" ... heck is it even a "method" as opposed to a different mindset ?

Turner comes at this from a shooting perspective , not an archery perspective IMHO , and as such there is no mention of form etc , rather examines our methods and/or absence of concentration.

I am not sure and time will tell .

But I'd suggest before everyone throws out there MBB dvd's and sacks their coaches , that without the solid formations of a good shot process , it may not mean much .

But with a good solid repeatable sequence , for those afflicted by TP , this may actually be really really helpful . My 10 minutes this morning on my bale in the back garden was almost liberating ... but i know , its only new and all new toys seem great at the time ... but for us TP kiddies ... it is well , well worth a look .
BEN MAHER

Re: Joel Turner TP dvd ....

Postby Lee Vivian » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:19 pm

might have to check that one out.....thanks for the heads up......
Too many freaks, not enough circuses....
Lee Vivian

Postby Yohon » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:51 pm

Being a TP aficionado I was thinking about getting the DVD myself. I talked with Joel two times on the phone and he was a great guy. Been trying to get John Wert to get him to come to Lancaster for a seminar. I'd really like to have a bit of time face to face. On the phone we went around and around on some things but I came away with the thought that no one thing works for everybody when it comes to TP so the more stuff out there the better. Like Casto says" I dont wish this stuff on my worst enemy" :lol:
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby BEN MAHER » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:54 pm

Yohon wrote:I came away with the thought that no one thing works for everybody when it comes to TP so the more stuff out there the better. Like Casto says" I dont wish this stuff on my worst enemy" :lol:

Yep ...
BEN MAHER

Postby Jim Casto Jr » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:46 pm

.... anyone, except Martin.

Ben and John,

I'm tell'n ya, his notion will work. There's always been the anticipation deal. I got to where I anticipated the clicker, tried the arrow to nose deal, years ago and anticipated it. You're right, Ben, you have to learn/have a dedicated shot sequence. I never had one until I went to that Jenkins clinic. Then, you have to know your conclusion, and make sure to go to it.

My best advise at this point is, run your shot, go to conclusion, the trigger just happens along the way. If you can get past the anticipation of the trigger, you're home free. Simplistic? It sure is, Ben. I'm convinced that's why he advocates the mantra--to eliminate the anticipation.
"Archery is really very simple. You just have to do the exact same thing on every shot"
Bill Leslie, July 22, 2017

"Form is everything."
Al Cole, June 7, 2008
Jim Casto Jr

Postby BEN MAHER » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:02 pm

Jim ,
I , somewhat strangely given that I had just watched the dvd !!!, went out to my "bale" this morning , ran my shot ... aimed ... then went to the "mantra" and executed a calm relaxed shot ... first time in a while without some "premature arrowelation" as I like to call it.

My jury is still out obviously after 3 arrows lol ... but I am really looking forward to giving it a go .

Kinda excited about it actually . I am loving my shooting at the moment ... gone to 3under , setting a dedicated Gap past 30 yards and really taking my time running my shots have brought back a whole new level of enjoyment . I am putting 99% of that down to knowing my shot sequence , and as such identifying and rectifying anything "less than" ...

But the TP is still lingering , almost as a physical presence in the back of mind ...

would be great to show it the door permanently ... or at the least , let it know who is boss .
BEN MAHER

Postby Stykshooter » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:25 pm

Now you guys went and done it.... gonna have to order in another D.V.D. on dealing with target panic to go along with the other 23 I already have, plus the three dozen books. :o
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Postby topcamp » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:05 pm

wth.............i know better than post on one of these threads....................what i'm doing now is working for me.......like nothing has ever before..............the tp ghost is still there but i've come up with a work around that has worked all summer.......[ stole a little something from watching joe shoot two years ago at baltimore and my friend barto ].....gets me full draw to anchor pt........touch that anchor and the shot is gone.....screw that come to anchor hold bs...........follow through release touches the shoulder......i'm only interested in a hunting shot anyway.............and now i'm getting full draw.........and hitting what i should be hitting in my kill range.......and can even pull off a 3d shot beyond....... for shits and giggles.

now i've pulled this off through a couple of afternoons shooting with paul watching........so i can do it with someone beside me..........the real test will be if i can do it in front of yohon and barto............but i'm shooting better than ever for an ol' fart and i'm not about to read or watch some one elses howto.............thank you very much............the irony is.........it's so fricking simple to do..............push....pull......touch the anchor..... :o :lol: :lol: :lol:
the more we know about the " how " and the " why " of..........the less we see and notice about the " now " of the " when "...
_tc...on the inflation of life

on that day.......you wake up and never more what was .......will ever be again.
_tc on growing old
topcamp

Postby BEN MAHER » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:42 pm

topcamp wrote:the irony is.........it's so fricking simple to do..............push....pull......touch the anchor..... :o :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ain't it so ...

But I am well versed with the "panic" part of my shot and have tried a bunch of stuff ... some works , some is a work in progress ... others methods haven't worked for me very well .

But I am currently living in the city and as such shoot paper way more than fur ... and this is a gremlin that needs beating for chasing either foam, paper or critters is a pretty big part of how I spend leisure time ... but having another genuine crack at comp shooting my flaws get found out and my TP shines like mid 70's Elvis .
BEN MAHER

Postby marc » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:07 pm

I have not seen the DVD but I have shot with Joel a bit and I am now shooting with his method! I have been without the clicker for almost a year now and feel no panic anymore!
"There is a fine line between tough and stupid and I think I found it" Ken Rohloff
"I'd hit that, with my truck" Ken Rohloff
marc

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum