Skip to content

Bear Take downs...

A Place to Post Your Collectable Bows, Archery and Hunting Equipment

Re: Bear Take downs...

Postby Stykshooter » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:09 pm

Well, the Big Brown truck left the house a little earlier today and dropped off a package from Gainsville Florida. I took very little time in tearing into it and laying my hands on the new Bear Takedown that I had ordered when I got back from Baltimore. Partially my fault that it has taken so long to get here. I originally ordered just a new riser but then changed my mind several weeks into the process and ordered a whole bow. This is one of the new maple "Futurawood" risers like the one that Yohon has.

I really like the initial impression I have of the bow. The grip is narrow like the one on my Bubinga takedown. Coloration is kind of cool. I have a couple of the Dymondwood bows and their risers are jet black. This one is more of a light grey, and I imagine it will lighten up some more as I use it. I haven't weighed them yet but this one seems to come in some where between the heavier Dymondwood risers and the Bubinga riser.

It is a "B" riser with 55 pound #1 limbs. It looks to be scaling about 58 pounds at my draw length. Looking forward to spending some time bonding with it over the next several days.

Gray bow 1.jpg
Gray bow 1.jpg (134.75 KiB) Viewed 4056 times

Gray bow 2.jpg
Gray bow 2.jpg (138.72 KiB) Viewed 4056 times

gray bow 3.jpg
gray bow 3.jpg (131.25 KiB) Viewed 4056 times
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Postby lostaro » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:20 pm

A fine looking bow sir. Does it get along with it's siblings?
"My goal in life is to try NOT to screw up so bad that they name the screw up after me..."
"Nothing better than a campfire, cold beer and piles of dangerously undercooked meat..."
lostaro

Postby Stykshooter » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:22 pm

Does it get along with it's siblings?

The new kid seems kind of spoiled. It has already stolen the string off of one of the others.
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Postby Fuzzy Dog » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:44 pm

Don't know whether that's spoiled or just assertive. A few $1000 in group therapy should help them all sort it out. In the meantime, have fun with it.
"Now I'm generally a mild mannered, live and let live kind of guy, but any fucking snake that gets between me and my coffee pot is just buckin' to be a hat band." The Topcamp Chronicles.

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.
Fuzzy Dog

Postby Yohon » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:41 am

Those B risers sure are "sleek" looking....nice lines!!!
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby Stykshooter » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:11 am

A few $1000 in group therapy should help them all sort it out

Nah, I just locked them all in the same bow rack and see which comes out on top. Let them establish their own pecking order.
Stykshooter

Postby Stykshooter » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:23 am

I picked up an absolutely gorgeous Green Stripe from Pa. the other day. The guy I bought it off of says that his father ordered it in 25 years or so ago, ended up getting sick and passing away. It has supposedly been sitting on a shelf since then. Not only is it new, in the box.... and unshot. It has never even been assembled. Whether that is true or not, you can't disprove it by looking at the bow. Spotless, without a scratch, smudge, fingerprint, etc. Came with the original box, warranty card, string still in the package and owners manual. I felt kind of bad buying his dad's bow off of him but he said the 50 pound limbs were too heavy for him, and he needed the money as well.

And yes, I have put it together. I have shot it. And I'll probably get it bloody. A very narrow, tiny grip and it has the special order "Fred Bear" grip on it that was offered back then. The shelf is cut so low that without the weather rest on it, the arrow actually sits on your bow hand finger.

Green Stripe.jpg
Green Stripe.jpg (124.18 KiB) Viewed 3778 times

Green stripe 2.jpg
Green stripe 2.jpg (351.09 KiB) Viewed 3778 times
Stykshooter

Postby 4nolz » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:47 am

thats green? looks like a brown stripe.
there are 2 dates on your marker.Your life is the dash in between.
4nolz

Postby Stykshooter » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:58 pm

Yeah, it is definitely a green stripe. These photos suck. I will try and get some better ones outside in the sunlight, if this rain and freezing rain ever stops. The riser itself is a real cool color... almost black. Reminds me of a black laminated rifle stock. The tips are what looks like the old futura wood green and the stripe through the riser is a strange color of green. About the same color as those cubes of green mouse bait you put out. The play dough looking stuff.

You've been playing with these Bears longer than I have Nolz... this one has the shelf cut about an extra 1/2" lower than any of my other take downs, old or new. The finger on the Bear weather rest is almost the same height as the shelf on my other Bear take down bows. I was told that was a factory option from the custom shop way back when. Does that sound legit and do you know when they were offering options like that?

Also.... this riser is eat up with inserts. I think it has the capability to bolt on about any archery accessory available. Four in the side and another out the front. Do you know if this was standard back in the late 80's?
Stykshooter

Postby topcamp » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:49 pm

damn.......on my old mag riser.......i had to take a file to it to radialize the shelf down big time to get it close to my hand so that i could shoot off of it...............it if i remember [ my son has it now ]........was high and flat.
the more we know about the " how " and the " why " of..........the less we see and notice about the " now " of the " when "...
_tc...on the inflation of life

on that day.......you wake up and never more what was .......will ever be again.
_tc on growing old
topcamp

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Collectors Forum