Skip to content

Simple, single crawl for hunting

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

Re: Simple, single crawl for hunting

Postby Fuzzy Dog » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:20 pm

Jim,

I'm working on that - I have a high anchor, split finger, index finger just under my eye, and then slide back along the top of that bone to what ever that goofy little flap in my ear is - It's becoming increasingly clear that I'm going to have move my anchor down for this whole sight thing to work. The whole thing is complicated by the fact that I shoot right handed, am left eye dominant, and my left eye's retina has a spot on it (technical term myopic degeneration) that creates fuzz right where I need to see my "spot."
"Now I'm generally a mild mannered, live and let live kind of guy, but any fucking snake that gets between me and my coffee pot is just buckin' to be a hat band." The Topcamp Chronicles.

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.
Fuzzy Dog

Postby Jim Casto Jr » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:33 pm

I used an eye-patch on my dominant eye for some time when I first started shooting lefty a few years ago. Went' down to the local drug place and bought a pack of three. They worked fine.... it's okay.... we are pirates you know. :)
"Archery is really very simple. You just have to do the exact same thing on every shot"
Bill Leslie, July 22, 2017

"Form is everything."
Al Cole, June 7, 2008
Jim Casto Jr

Postby Yohon » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:38 am

Fuzzy Dog wrote: The whole thing is complicated by the fact that I shoot right handed, am left eye dominant, and my left eye's retina has a spot on it (technical term myopic degeneration) that creates fuzz right where I need to see my "spot."

And I think I'm having problems shooting straight.... :o :lol: :lol: :lol:
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby Yohon » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:47 am

Jim, I've thought about trying your idea. In the pix is how I am anchoring now. I can get good back tension this way but its alot more efficient to achieve good bt with the lower anchor point like you showed in your pix's. Both however achieve the same sight picture you talk about with the hunting rig. Ive been messing with different arrow combos and hit on one that is about as perfect for me as I've had in a while so I may not be changing a thing. Next time I'm at Lancaster John has promised to show me the string crawl and set up a Titan that way so we'll see....neat thread

Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby Stykshooter » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:05 pm

I shoot split finger and anchor with my index finger at the corner of my mouth. I have tried shooting three under and a high anchor like in your photo John, but it is never as comfortable for me and I find it harder to pull through my shots with my hand/elbow higher like that. When I shoot the lower anchor it seems like my shoulder blades naturally settle into place and it makes it easier for me to close them up on the shot. I have also noticed that I can't pull nearly as much draw weight with a higher anchor as I can with a lower anchor, which leads me to believe it is easier to draw and pull through the shot with a lower anchor.... for me anyway.

One of the most important aspects of my bows for me is to have them absolutely dead quiet. I know how moving a nocking point up or down will sometimes make a drastic difference in the bow's sound signature. That being said, do you notice an increase in bow noise when you are shooting the lower nocking point or your crawl? I would think there would have to be a difference. Over the years I have shot with a lot of guys who were string walkers on the field course. Their bows were without a doubt the noisiest contraptions I have ever heard. Sounded like they were going to blow up at each and every shot. I don't know much about it but it seems to me that the lower nocking point of your crawl would be very similar to string walking.
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Postby rwsbow » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:27 pm

Yohon.....with that anchor, what kind of point-on range are you getting..around 25?..

For most of us recurve/longbow shooters, most of our shots are under 30 (or at least we try to keep them under 30)..it seems like it would be a great advantage to find a 20 yard point on anchor and just "gap" (slightly low at closer ranges and slightly high at longer) to the target...some of us are just not "natural" instinctive/pointing shooters and would greatly increase our overall consistently..

I'm still trying to find a 20 yard point on anchor, but the closest I've gotten is 3 under, middle finger in the corner of the mouth, and that gives me a 25 yard anchor...have a 3/8 inch crawl to get to 20..I would like to find a solid anchor up higher yet to eliminate the crawl..only time will tell...with that kind of spot/point-on, I would eliminate all the sights on my bows...
The reason I support the 2nd Amendment is because I'm too young to die but too old for an ass whoopin' ! 

rwsbow

Postby Jim Casto Jr » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:00 pm

Stykshooter wrote:.....One of the most important aspects of my bows for me is to have them absolutely dead quiet. I know how moving a nocking point up or down will sometimes make a drastic difference in the bow's sound signature. That being said, do you notice an increase in bow noise when you are shooting the lower nocking point or your crawl?...

That's been my concern as well, not to mention what's going to happen with the tune of a broadhead? That's why I thought this "single crawl" might be good for hunting, since you can tune at one place. I haven't notice any problems with extra noise at 3/4", but when I get more than that I notice a lot more noise, the bow starts to bounce in my hand, and the arrows begin to get a little squirrely too.
"Archery is really very simple. You just have to do the exact same thing on every shot"

"Form is everything."
Al Cole, June 7, 2008
Jim Casto Jr

Postby Yohon » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:21 pm

rwsbow wrote:Yohon.....with that anchor, what kind of point-on range are you getting..around 25?..

For most of us recurve/longbow shooters, most of our shots are under 30 (or at least we try to keep them under 30)..it seems like it would be a great advantage to find a 20 yard point on anchor and just "gap" (slightly low at closer ranges and slightly high at longer) to the target...some of us are just not "natural" instinctive/pointing shooters and would greatly increase our overall consistently..

Roger...with my Titan and that anchor and a fairly heavy arrow I am point on at 22 yards, for my deer hunting thats in the wheel house!
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby Yohon » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:28 am

Jim....figure you've already seen this but just in case, some good info on there

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=2056925
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby Jim Casto Jr » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:35 pm

Nope. I'd passed that one. Glad you posted the link. Seems Matt Potter tunes his broadheads and hunts with a 20 yard crawl--very interesting. I was about to settle on a 25 yard crawl, but I'm still playing with it.

btw... I'm shooting 35# right-handed some, and so far.... no pain, but I'm going to take it really easy, and shoot mostly lefty for a while longer.

"Form is everything."
Al Cole, June 7, 2008
Jim Casto Jr

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum