Skip to content

Why instinctive shooting is hard up close ?

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

Re: Why instinctive shooting is hard up close ?

Postby lostaro » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:41 pm

Very well put Fuzzy Dog. I know I'm "seeing" everything on a sub-concious level, just not "looking" at it. All except for my belt buckle....haven't seen that in years. :oops: As far as the dozens of ways to screw up, when I get those under control I invent some new ones. I know one thing, the more crap I think about the worse I shoot. I used to shoot a lot better before I knew how much I was doing wrong. I think my "computer" may be running slower than most peoples. :shock:
"My goal in life is to try NOT to screw up so bad that they name the screw up after me..."
"Nothing better than a campfire, cold beer and piles of dangerously undercooked meat..."
lostaro

Re: Why instinctive shooting is hard up close ?

Postby Stykshooter » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:03 am

Nice Pig Nolz.... and with a Bear recurve to boot! Of course, I believe that is a given with you isn't it? :D

I have given this instinctive/subconscious aiming debate a lot of thought over the years...

I have shot a bow a long time and a lot of different ways. I have utilized long bar sights on Olympic F.I.T.A. rigs, pin sights on hunting bows, I have dabbled with shooting three under, string walking and gap shooting. High anchor, low anchor. I still use a combination today as I enjoy shooting field archery. I shoot purely instinctive out to 40-45 yards or so. I know that most of my bows are point on for me and my style at about 55 yards. Outside of that 40-45 yard zone I use the point of my arrow as a sight and either hold under or over the ten ring, depending on the marked distance, out to the 80 yard stakes. So I feel fairly confident that I can determine when I am consciously aiming at a spot or just staring at it and pulling through.

I have come to the conclusion, for me anyway, that myself and most other instinctive archers are in fact gap shooters of a sort. I don't see my arrow or try to figure out what my particular gap is and certainly don't aim off of the end of my point. Where the similarity to gap shooting comes in is the relationship to my bow hand to the target. I have shot enough over the years to establish a reference point between my hand, shoulder, body, etc and the various target distances. Kind of along the lines of what Fuzzy was referring to above. As long as my bows shoot similar speeds, it works out well for me out to the 40 yard ranges that I commonly practice at. Looking at bow speeds realistically, the differe3nce between the fastest and slowest traditional bows in my stable is miniscule. It only takes a dozen or so shots to reprogram the launch sequence in my brain.

I witnessed the difference in shooting styles first hand a couple of weeks ago on our “Zombie” range at the S.T.A.R. Shoot after dark. We have some of the best archers in Va., on the east coast of the U.S. really, attend this shoot. Most of the better 3-D and Field archers are unashamed gap shooters with 4-6” of arrow sticking out in front of their bow. They are in effect shooting a sight with a single sight pin. Put them on a 3-D course and they are just short of amazing. After dark, shooting at zombies that were only lit by dim camp fires and small chem lights myself and my instinctive shooting buddies still shot very well. I probably shot better after dark than I did during the day time. I had this bright glowing light stick out there that I just concentrated on and pulled through. The gap shooters and 3 under gun barrelers struggled. There were no reference points in the pitch black woods and the light sticks were so bright in that environment that they were confusing. A light stick at 30 yards was so bright that it looked to be 18-20. Hence, a lot of lost and broken arrows that night.

I am a bow hunter. The only reason I play all of these other games throughout the year is to better prepare myself for running a broad head through a critter in the fall. I spend a lot of time in the woods and the majority of the deer I kill are either in that first few or last few minutes of daylight each day. Definitely low light conditions. That being a given, I have settled on my shooting style for upping the odds and giving me the best opportunity to produce short, but profuse blood trails.

Lostaro said his computer may be running a little slow, well I haven't even up graded my on board computer to windows yet. That being said, I have spent enough time on the end of a short rope with him to know that if you put him and his longbow within reasonable shooting distance of a deer that you are going to get blood on the tailgate of your truck. His style, and mine, works for hunting. We might not bring home the trophys on the 3-D course, although we do tend to hold our own, we do end up our season with a freezer full of venison. Like I said, my processor may be a little slow, but I couldn't imaging having to figure out what my gap was, proper hold under or whatever, while a 140" buck was easing its way through the laurels at 15 and a quarter yards away. Too much going on in my mind, plus the adrenalin dump. I'm sure I would blow that shot. I just want to concentrate on the top of the buck's heart, pull through and then give it that 30 minute wait.
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Previous

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum