Skip to content

Simple, single crawl for hunting

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

Re: Simple, single crawl for hunting

Postby whump » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:12 am

Nothing like using the arrow point for a reference point, it takes a lot of the guess work out of shooting and regardless if you are excited or not on a hunting shot you are going back to a solid aiming point.
I have climbed and clawed from the pits of merciless persecution and suffered the tortures of the damned ,only to be thrust head first into what can be best described as organized confusion.
whump

Postby Crooked Stic » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:56 am

I don't come to this forum much so you need to explain-- what a crawl is??
Prez of the Crooked Stic Gang
Crooked Stic

Postby Jim Casto Jr » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:08 am

First picture: guy has his index finger against the nock

Second picture: guy is shooting with about a 1" crawl

crawl.jpg
crawl.jpg (39.25 KiB) Viewed 4373 times
"Archery is really very simple. You just have to do the exact same thing on every shot"
Bill Leslie, July 22, 2017

"Form is everything."
Al Cole, June 7, 2008
Jim Casto Jr

Postby rwsbow » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:31 am

Just curious, Jim..

Do you have any flight issues.(slightly stiffer at the longer ranges) ?
What are you using for a rest or off the shelf?
More noise than "regular" ?
The reason I support the 2nd Amendment is because I'm too young to die but too old for an ass whoopin' ! 

rwsbow

Postby Jim Casto Jr » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:18 am

Mind you, I haven't shot past 30 yards, but no, no flight problems at all. I did notice that the bare shafts indicated a slight stiff at 10 to 12 yards but I haven't taken the time to work on it. I'm shooting a Centerest, so I should be able to turn it in a quarter turn at a time to make them act weaker, or try heavier points.
"Archery is really very simple. You just have to do the exact same thing on every shot"

"Form is everything."
Al Cole, June 7, 2008
Jim Casto Jr

Postby whump » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:38 pm

Nothing like a system that works for you---I like my fingers on the nock though, but if you're comfortable with that method for hunting I hope it works out to your advantage .
I have climbed and clawed from the pits of merciless persecution and suffered the tortures of the damned ,only to be thrust head first into what can be best described as organized confusion.
whump

Postby Fuzzy Dog » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:50 pm

Jim,

A bunch of questions:

Can you shoot that system with a sight? If so, what do you have to do to the sight to make it work? I went back to split finger because I couldn't get the sight low enough to shoot 3 under without having the arrow whack the sight - does the 3/4" down solve that problem?

WHere is your nock point(s) in relation to the rest? In other words, assuming two nock points, is the bottom one level with the rest or above it?

Am I right that moving the placement of your fingers down tends to make the shot go higher?
"Now I'm generally a mild mannered, live and let live kind of guy, but any fucking snake that gets between me and my coffee pot is just buckin' to be a hat band." The Topcamp Chronicles.

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.
Fuzzy Dog

Postby Jim Casto Jr » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:08 pm

Fuzzy Dog wrote:Jim,

A bunch of questions:

Can you shoot that system with a sight? Probably... but not too practical.

If so, what do you have to do to the sight to make it work? I don't think it would work too well, Paul. As you move your fingers down the string, you'd need to move the sight down too.

I went back to split finger because I couldn't get the sight low enough to shoot 3 under without having the arrow whack the sight - does the 3/4" down solve that problem? Nope... would make it worse.

WHere is your nock point(s) in relation to the rest? In other words, assuming two nock points, is the bottom one level with the rest or above it? I have my nock set a 1/2" high, and didn't have to change it to shoot the 3/4" crawl. I just eyeball the lower one to get about 1/16" gap between it and the arrow nock

Am I right that moving the placement of your fingers down tends to make the shot go higher? No. Moving your fingers down the string makes the shot go lower.

"Form is everything."
Al Cole, June 7, 2008
Jim Casto Jr

Postby Fuzzy Dog » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:41 am

Jim,

Thanks.

paul
"Now I'm generally a mild mannered, live and let live kind of guy, but any fucking snake that gets between me and my coffee pot is just buckin' to be a hat band." The Topcamp Chronicles.

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.
Fuzzy Dog

Postby Jim Casto Jr » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:13 am

Paul,

Where are you anchoring when using your sights? I've always had to anchor under my jaw line to get the pins in the sight window.

"Form is everything."
Al Cole, June 7, 2008
Jim Casto Jr

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum