Skip to content

Learning three under

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

Learning three under

Postby Petaluma Pete » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:33 am

I picked up a Toelke Whip and had it show up in the mail yesterday. The guy I bought it from shoot three under.

So I run down to the range to give this baby a test drive. I have shot split finger all my life. I tried three under once for about 10 arrows and bagged it and went back to my old ways.

Shooting this bow split finger I was all over the place. My first thought was ohhhh I have some tuning to do then I figured I'll try three under and see what happens. BINGO me like a lot. Hell it's like looking down a gun barrel.

I think I'm going to play with this for a while. I was only shooting 20 yards and less but it's a lot easier to get the results I'm looking for. I think I'll go out today and open it up to 50 and see how the gaps work out.

Hell if it works out I might switch the Sasquatch over and start three under for everything.
Oh yea, I like the bow she's a sweet shooter
Petaluma Pete

Re: Learning three under

Postby marc » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:51 am

If you give 3 under an honest go I don't think you will switch back to split! There is a reason most of the great shots all shoot 3 under!!!

BTW welcome to the board!!!
"There is a fine line between tough and stupid and I think I found it" Ken Rohloff
"I'd hit that, with my truck" Ken Rohloff
marc

Postby Petaluma Pete » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:58 pm

Shot again today,
So far so good. I'm getting pretty good groups shooting carbon but woodies are a challenge .
I shoot groups when tuning and learning new bows just to make sure I'm constant. So far I'm seeing 3 to 4 inch groups of 6 arrows at 22 yards with the carbon and 6 to 8 inch groups with wood.
For a target I use duct tape and make a cross. I shoot for the intersection. My tune is good they are all hitting within a couple of inches of the intersection but I'm not getting the constancy I had with split finger.
I'm also finding the more I pay attention to the gap the shitter I shoot.

Any suggestions?
Petaluma Pete

Postby marc » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:09 pm

How are you anchoring? That is the first thing I go to when consistency goes out the window.

I anchor with the C mandible behind my jaw bone, the top of the plate on my tab against the bottom of my cheek bone, string touching my eyebrow, and middle finger on the tip of my canine tooth!

If you are not using the C mandible thing you will probably increase your draw length if you try it.
"There is a fine line between tough and stupid and I think I found it" Ken Rohloff
marc

Postby marc » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:11 pm

Also when you have time read through the tread above on how to execute a good shot! 38 pages of the best advice I have read. Just skim past the parts where people got pissy lol!
marc

Postby Petaluma Pete » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:06 pm

Thanks
I'll give it a read
Petaluma Pete

Postby BEN MAHER » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:07 pm

I'll second what Marc said .

Pete , I am somewhat new to 3 under as well after 30 years of split .
Give it a couple of weeks and you'll see a big difference I reckon and it will no longer be awkward IMHO ...
Shooting my Titan and Sky ILF rigs made tuning pretty easy ...

But shooting My Hill style bows ... feels like I am cheating ;) :o :o
BEN MAHER

Postby Bender » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:21 pm

When making the switch, split to 3 under, or vice versa, you gotta give it a fair shake, a week or two, just like marc sed. You need to get past New Toy Syndrome, where it seems wonderful, as well as get past, "I shot 10 arrows and it sucked."

Naturally I can't tell anything for sure without being there. But are you already a gap shooter when shooting split? If not then of course you shoot worse when concentrating on the gaps. If you are, then it is most likely due to being extremely uncertain of the different sight picture coupled with unknown gaps. I have that same problem when I make up a new set of woodies, and/or move to a different bow. "Gap? What the hell IS my gap at 50 yards again? Should I hold there or there? Oh CRAP!" And after holding for about 10 minutes, sure enough the shot really sucks, and I still have no solid idea what the hell the gap really is. When confidence in the shot goes to hell, shot execution itself is not far behind.

If the problem is the latter, then just go slowly. Sure move around to yardages for the hell of it, but don't get hung up on the results. Figuring the actual real life gaps should be a methodical process, moving back in yardage ONLY after you have the current yardage totally under control. Take notes. It helps the memory even if you never look at them again. Good shot execution depends upon you already knowing what is going to happen to the arrow before you even pick up the bow.
Bender

Postby BEN MAHER » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:40 am

Funny you mention taking notes Bender ... I have started practicing with my rangefinder and note book handy ... makes life easier for sure .
BEN MAHER

Postby Petaluma Pete » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:28 pm

I've had some time shooting my long bow three under and liking it. My groups are tighting up just fine. The guy I bought the bow from told me he had it tillered for three under. I tried to shoot three under with my Sasquatch. Didn't work out so well.
I have a queation. when I had Kirk bulild the bow I was shooting split finger. To shoot three under do I just need to change the brace height to get good flight or does the bow need to be retillered?
Petaluma Pete

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum