Skip to content

Tried something new (to me)

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

Tried something new (to me)

Postby Jon in Montana » Thu May 02, 2013 6:28 pm

Anyone else ever do this? I shoot split finger - never really tried 3 under. I am aware that my index finger is usually gripping the string too tight, but for some reason have a hard time relaxing my index finger grip on the string.

I read about a method I haven't tried, so figured I try it. Basically it involves pretty much straightening out your index finger and resting it right behind the feathers. I tried it with my shooting glove on, but was still grabbing the string too much - so I moved the glove down to my pinky, ring, and middle finger - now my index finger was not in the glove.

Instantly my shots tightened up. I didn't have a nock point on the string, so my vertical was not as consistent, but all the arrows were in close groups - in a vertical line.

I know Dan Toelke shoots similar to this (I think). I'm hoping to pick his brain this weekend at the bow shoot just up the road. He's a great guy and loves to help.
Jon in Montana

Re: Tried something new (to me)

Postby BEN MAHER » Sat May 04, 2013 4:37 pm

Thats interesting , lots of the good bow shots I use to see growing up shot split , except their top finger actually left the string once they were at full anchor , so in effect shooting 2 under .
BEN MAHER

Postby Hank » Mon May 06, 2013 11:26 am

Shooting split finger with not much riding on the index finger does a couple of things. To me it is much easier to get that relaxed "hang" feeling using mostly my middle and ring finger, if you look at your palm, those 2 fingers are lined up with the center of your arm. Bringing the index finger into it, tenses up the forearm more.

It also changes the impact point (usually lowers it) which brings my point style of shooting into a more natural, easy feel, with not a lot of effort.
a genetically modified by aliens life form, known as Hank
Hank

Postby Hank » Wed May 29, 2013 1:12 pm

I should mention a guy in our club shot that way when he shot compound with fingers. Years ago when shooting in the Youth Class at the indoor Nationals he set the record which still stands to this day.
Attachments
super dave.JPG
super dave.JPG (9.59 KiB) Viewed 3127 times
a genetically modified by aliens life form, known as Hank
Hank

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum