Skip to content

A prototyping tool i built.

This forum is dedicated to the bowyer and his craft. This is the place to talk building techninques, design/theory, and anything about enhancing performance. Anything about bow building is welcome here. All build alongs will be housed in the sub-forum below.

A prototyping tool i built.

Postby Kirkll » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:15 pm

I've had this set up in my head for quite awhile, and decided to give this milling aluminum a go here....What this weird looking riser is all about, is the ability to micro adjust the pad angle on all of my new limb designs, and do some fine tuning on the existing ones.

if you look closely at the hardware here you'll see the two location pins, and the bolt insert.
well right below the limb bolt i tapped a 5/16" -18 hole and ran a one inch set screw into the riser pad. i'll get a couple more pics with the limb pads removed completely so you can see how i set it up for different riser lengths... but this adjusts from a 12" to a 22" riser in length, and the limb pad angle can be adjusted from flat to about 35 degrees.

What got me going on this project is a new static tip limb design i'm tweaking on right now. I've got the geometry pretty much where i want it, but now i want to play with different pad angles as i start the process of trying different profiles and taper rates, along with shifting my wedges....

here's the first lay up on these static tip limbs mounted on my std Sasquatch riser..... needless to say this ain't going to fly... :roll:

check out the different angles I've got going here after mounting the same limbs on my adjustable riser...

http://www.bigfootbows.com/
kirk@bigfootbows.com

Only archers are fool enough to want to make a composite with natural materials and man made materials, and then bend it repeatedly...
Kirkll

Re: A prototyping tool i built.

Postby Catamount » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:20 pm

Looks like a great idea. Those limbs look crazy, I've never shot a bow with static tips. Do they help a lot performance wise?
Catamount

Postby Crooked Stic » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:36 pm

I can see that would be helpful getting you pad anges right before making a pile of tapered shims.
Prez of the Crooked Stic Gang
Crooked Stic

Postby SteveJ » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:37 pm

That is very cool Kirk! I love the looks of the static/classic look. I "had" an Acadian Classic Recurve years ago...note the had. Yep, a dummy and sold it.

It would be really cool if you could adjust those pads where they would lock down and be stable enough to fling some arrows out of it. Very cool bud!
"Two have sacrificed for you - Jesus and the US soldier."

Steve in the shop
SteveJ

Postby Kenro » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:39 pm

:D EXACT type tool I used for "tuning" my recurve limbs Kirk!!! Im laughing inside because I never thought in a million years anyone would have thought of doing something like that! Only yours is WAYYY cooler precision built and a ton stronger than what I did out of wood. Mine only had two length adjustment holes tho and the pad angle adjustment was done with a bolt pushing from the opposit side. Mine was more crude but it worked......And mine was "disposable". :D
People used to say that I'd never amount to much but I can always say Ive served as a bad example!
Kenro

Postby Kirkll » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:10 pm

Well lets face it Kenro... You and i have have a very similar way of looking at bows and reading the curves. We always have bro.... Nothing replaces good old bucket time. I wish i had more room in my schedule for bucket time and tinkering. i really enjoy that part a lot.

adjusting preload using shims on temporary riser blocks works fine in most cases.... i just wanted something i could use to micro adjust the limbs and bolt the thing to a shooting machine for testing prior to milling the riser. You know if a guy wanted to you could finish all your limbs completely and tiller the things with a contraption like this, and mill the riser to match the limbs. :shock: ..... great until the guy orders a second set of limbs. :lol: :lol: Not!

i actually did throw something together out of wood first to test my theory before tackling the aluminum milling.... even still...It sure makes me appreciate these guys that do machine work. even using this soft aluminum, the rpms of the cutters or mill ends, and the feed rate has to be just right or your screwed!..... i do NOT see any aluminum risers in my future.... hell... just learning how to touch up your drill bits to cut this stuff clean is a trick.... i found out the hard way you don't bore precision holes in this stuff with certain types of mill ends.... :roll:

btw... i also learned that you don't cut this stuff on a wood band saw even with good bi-metal blades... i toasted several before hauling out my saws-all and finishing up the rough cuts.... i felt like I'd been running a jack hammer all day after it was done.

Remember years ago when Bonner did that aluminum riser? I can relate.... BIG time...
kirk@bigfootbows.com

Only archers are fool enough to want to make a composite with natural materials and man made materials, and then bend it repeatedly...
Kirkll

Postby Kirkll » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:22 pm

Catamount wrote:Looks like a great idea. Those limbs look crazy, I've never shot a bow with static tips. Do they help a lot performance wise?

quite honestly i think the static tip RC with deep core narrow profile limbs has the potential to be the fastest bow in the world. Not a good candidate for belly carbon though... eventually i'm going to just give the carbon crap up completely. The small gains you get isn't even worth the head aches more often than not..... if you got your shit together, you can build these glass bows just as fast and stable as the carbon bows anyway.

but.... there will always be someone wanting the stuff to try and squeeze a few more fps out of their set up. :roll:
kirk@bigfootbows.com

Kirkll

Postby Mann » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:27 am

Mann

Postby SteveJ » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:27 am

I was thinking of something similar, that you could quick bolt or attach your limbs to and have it mounted on a tillering-tree....flat and stable. You wouldn't have to clamp and unclamp the riser every time .....and when you're fighting the curves of a riser after you think you had a good tiller

:geek: Speaking of: I got a limb holder that I'm making to profile the butt-ends of the limb (for interchanging riser and limbs) and I'm going to tweek it where it will be able to receive a angled block, so I can grind the slope in consistently and evenly...
"Two have sacrificed for you - Jesus and the US soldier."

Steve in the shop
SteveJ

Postby Kirkll » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:36 am

Thanks Jim, i really appreciate the thought. but the last thing i want in my wood shop is a mill set up with an oiler. i mill way too much exotic wood with that thing to risk contamination... i'd just as soon give up the aluminum work completely than have any form of lubricant fouling up my wood....

last time i had a greasy old machinist visit my shop i made him wear rubber gloves, and asked him not to touch anything... i had an auto mechanic stop by the shop one time, and i wouldn't even let him in the door.... having grease and oil in a wood shop is like having fiberglass in your bed.

i got a question regarding DRO accuracy and set up. i bought these slide micrometers with a miniature DRO right on the bar that are messing with me. they worked great for awhile, but now i'm getting slop in them, or so it seems... maybe it's the slop in the travel of the table? i go one direction just fine, but if i go too far.... and try to go back i'm twisting the handle and getting movement not showing on the DRO.... i've screwed up some risers over it too..... Any Ideas or suggestions for me here?....

this is what i have set up on my mill table for X Y axis.

http://www.shars.com/products/view/2415 ... quot_scale

Kirk
kirk@bigfootbows.com

Kirkll

Next

Return to Board index

Return to The Bowyer's Gallery