Skip to content

Bender and Cat Whiskers

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

Bender and Cat Whiskers

Postby LBR » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:48 am

Saw this on a different thread.

Once again I must conclude that cat whiskers basically suck.

I have to ask, why????

I prefer cat whiskers over any other silencer. Most any silencer will work, if you do your part, but the whiskers for me are the most convenient. No scent, no burrs, minimal moisture, adjustable, and they do the trick as well or better than anything I've tried.

What am I missing here?
LBR

Re: Bender and Cat Whiskers

Postby marc » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:12 pm

I remember an article he did for TBM about silencers and they had the most impact on speed and noise. That said I think he was using the whole cat wisker.

I only use a quarter of a wisker on each end of the string and don't notice much loss of performance.
"There is a fine line between tough and stupid and I think I found it" Ken Rohloff
"I'd hit that, with my truck" Ken Rohloff
marc

Postby MikeW » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:34 pm

Yeah I just use very little also. Maybe an 1.25" long by 1" wide section of them. I also use a very small wool silencer and I really don't notice a speed or performance loss although am sure there is a little but not enough for me to worry about.
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.
MikeW

Postby Bender » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:59 pm

It is actually probably a personal thing. I don't know what it is with me and whiskers. I know I'm going lose some energy input into the arrow, retuning will be called for. But no matter, full whiskers or trimmed, once I put them on, arrow flight just turns to crap for me and I find myself unable to get it back through tuning.

So I just fnd that life is easier for me if I use String Leeches, beaver balls, or even yarn puffs.

I honestly don't know what it is.

And still being honest, I know many people use them with great success. If you accept the energy loss, and can do better than me at getting good arrow flight when using them, they will definitely make most any any bow shut the eff up and be quiet.
Bender

Postby rwsbow » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:26 pm

I used cat whiskers for years..several years ago I started using peep sight tubing about 1 1/2 inches long..split and then tied around the string with dental floss..we used to slip the silencers on years ago with the bobby pin thing, but splitting the tubing and tying it on works just as well (especially for lazy people like me)...

Always had better luck with cat whiskers than furry balls or string leeches...
The reason I support the 2nd Amendment is because I'm too young to die but too old for an ass whoopin' ! 

rwsbow

Postby Hank » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:44 am

I have a cat and think it would be cruel to cut off her whiskers just to keep my bow quiet.
a genetically modified by aliens life form, known as Hank
Hank

Postby MikeW » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:31 pm

rwsbow wrote:I used cat whiskers for years..several years ago I started using peep sight tubing about 1 1/2 inches long..split and then tied around the string with dental floss..we used to slip the silencers on years ago with the bobby pin thing, but splitting the tubing and tying it on works just as well (especially for lazy people like me)...

Always had better luck with cat whiskers than furry balls or string leeches...

I've never tried it myself but seen plenty of posts about folks just using a piece of fat rubber band and it's suppose to work just as well.
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.
MikeW

Postby LBR » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:47 pm

I've had the best luck with whiskers--mainly, I think, because I can easily adjust them. I've seen them put on wrong and they don't work nearly as well if at all. I like 'em short and in a tight ball. Haven't chrony'd the bow with and without, but it doesn't affect flight/speed (that I can see) shooting with them and shooting with no silencers at all. I weighed out what I use once--as best I can remember, they weighed about the same as a set of wool puffs, maybe a little less than beaver.

I appreciate the input. Just wondering what I was missing.
LBR

Postby iron mike » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:23 am

been using a strands of string frayed and tied on to slide for tuning on some,wool on some,hushpuppies and wool yard on a recurve,nothin on some,,whatever keeps things tuned and accurate. just so i'm not missing! lol
" in a dog eat dog world, i'll have mine medium rare"
iron mike

Postby COB » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:10 pm

I like cat wiskers. I only see one problem with them and it's the cat make to damned much noise when I release my arrows! :shock: :twisted:
COB

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum