Skip to content

No one shooting?

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

Re: No one shooting?

Postby rwsbow » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:47 am

Fuzzy,
No, I've been "spearmentin" with yarn fletch..kinda like a mini flu-flu puff..target arrows sem to work best with 1 inch puffs and broadheads seem to like 1 1/2 inch puffs..no jig,real cheap, waterproof (just shake it and all the water flies off) and just 9 grains per fletch..shoots off rests or shelf..am gonna try colored electrical tape next instead of the masking tape, but "SO FAR" have been having pretty good results..something to tinker on over the winter..
Attachments
PC200007.JPG
PC200007.JPG (164.24 KiB) Viewed 3844 times
The reason I support the 2nd Amendment is because I'm too young to die but too old for an ass whoopin' ! 

rwsbow

Postby jeffhalfrack » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:24 am

HEY R-DUB ,,,,,,you may have just a little more splaining to do,,,,,,that looks interesting as hell!! this could be a big thing! you got my attention JeffW
jeffhalfrack

Postby Mann » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:43 am

Roger
That is a cool idea for the kids fletch!!
Fuzzy may have a good idea for that puff idea.........you might try some low heat shrink tube. :?
Mann

Postby rwsbow » Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:47 pm

I put up an explanation thread (like it really needs one,but.. :roll: ) about making some yarn fletches in the Tinker's Corner..it will never replace feather/vanes, but is cheap for kid's arrows and works pretty darn good on target arrows for adults..still got some more experimenting to do on broadheads....

Just as a heads-up...it helps if you can "somewhat" bareshaft tune the arrows before adding the yarn fletches...better results...

Also if you slowly trim the yarn down, you can get them to fly the same as feather/vanes.. ;) ..just takes a scissors.

Let this thread get back to Hank's original post ...NO ONE SHOOTING? !!!
The reason I support the 2nd Amendment is because I'm too young to die but too old for an ass whoopin' ! 

rwsbow

Postby Hank » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:05 pm

I have mentioned this before, but we have an older guy in our club that was a phenomenal barebow shooter back in the late 60's into the 70's. I was told about him back in the early 80's back when I switched to trad. Fast forward 30 years and I met him and I knew exactly who he was. I was not shy and picked his brain on how someone could shoot THAT good shooting barebow.

His anchor was index finger in the corner of his mouth and a point on of 80 yards. Shot a Mule Deer through both lungs at 90 yards. He said the most important thing was to be totally relaxed at full draw from one end to the other(he shot an #80 wing recurve) and you have to draw far enough back for the back to kick in.

Again, index finger in the corner of his mouth, split finger, a point on of 80 yards and he had a 290 barebow average on a 300 round. He said he just point and shot up to 80 yards. He is also a big believer in long distance shooting, he doesn't think anything under 60 yards really tells you much about your form or tuning.

Things finally clicked for me on what he meant and my shooting is starting to come back around.
a genetically modified by aliens life form, known as Hank
Hank

Postby whump » Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:26 pm

Whump sez; Shooting on and off but mostly trying to find the deer. Scouted a national forest , set up and came real close to getting a shot the first morning. Went back the next week and came down at 11:30 and ran a buck off getting my crap together under the tree. This is looking like one of those years when I can't quit screwing up long enough to kill more than one deer. I can shoot right behind my house so there is no excuse for not taking a few shots frequently but the older I get the more motivation it takes to get me going. I stuck my 4wd so deep I broke my winch cable and had to call a wrecker to pull the truck out so the fickle finger of fate has been upon me.
I have climbed and clawed from the pits of merciless persecution and suffered the tortures of the damned ,only to be thrust head first into what can be best described as organized confusion.
whump

Previous

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum