Skip to content

string material, no big deal

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

Re: string material, no big deal

Postby marc » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:16 am

I really seem to prefer the BCY 452X now, all the qualities of 450 plus but thinner.
"There is a fine line between tough and stupid and I think I found it" Ken Rohloff
"I'd hit that, with my truck" Ken Rohloff
marc

Postby LBR » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:40 pm

There are tons of old wive's tales that are based on nothing but opinion and imagination...and there are tons more of actual observations that are very honest but aren't exactly accurate due to tons of variables...and now and then you'll run across the truth. Very little is set in stone. What's even worse, a lot of the fairy tales are purported by bowyers and shooters that should know what they are talking about, but don't.

Variables include bow design, draw length, draw weight, string material, strand count, string construction, serving type, serving size, serving length, tuning, nock fit, silencer type, silencer placement, your release, how well the arrows are matched to the bow, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.

Strings are my "thing". Not that I'm any kind of expert, but I have tinkered with them more than most sane people. Like most things in this sport, the more I learn the more I realize how little I really know.

For the record, I don't care for low strand count (skinny) strings. I've never found any real gains with them--performance, hand shock reduction, or noise--and you loose a lot of what makes HMPE great--that being durability, lack of stretch, and lack of creep.

I do think string material is a big deal, at least when comparing dacron to an HMPE material. I could really care less about a few fps--I'd shoot the HMPE materials if they were slower. I like the reduced shock, reduced stretch/creep, increased durability, and increased consistency. I like Dynaflight '97, Formula 8125, and 8190. Accuracy is in the shooter--get everything right, the arrow will go where you point it.

Chad
LBR

Postby bearauto11 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:41 pm

OK, Chad. What's the difference between stretch and creep? Or are they the same thing?
Thanks,
--Tom
bearauto11

Postby marc » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:25 pm

I want to try the 8190, I should probably have you make me one Chad, don't want to buy a spool to just try it out.
"There is a fine line between tough and stupid and I think I found it" Ken Rohloff
marc

Postby LBR » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:46 pm

Stretch is elongation that recovers when the tension is removed--like a rubber band (or dacron string). Creep is elongation that doesn't recover--like stretching your chewing gum.

Marc, if you buy direct from BCY they might send you a test spool if you ask--that's how I got my first sample. It's not earth-shattering, but it's good material, especially if you like a smaller diameter string. You can go small diameter without going too low in strand count--it's about 1/2 the diameter of Dynaflight '97. Very low stretch/creep, but not a giant leap over 8125--I can't tell much difference so far, except the 8190 is a smaller strand. 12-16 strands is dandy.

Chad
LBR

Postby bearauto11 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:51 pm

Chad,
Cool, that makes sense. Thanks.
--Tom
bearauto11

Postby marc » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:28 pm

Chad, have you made much with Trophy? Wondering because it's close to 452x.
marc

Postby LBR » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:15 am

Never used it--I'm pretty much BCY all the way, and haven't tried all of their products. What I have noticed is if one company makes something that works, the other will soon have their version. Also, most bows will work as well with one as they do with the other--the main differences are in tuning and string construction. BCY's customer service has always been great for me--a Brownell rep turned me off a long time ago, and I've never really had a reason to try them again.
LBR

Postby Greywolf » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:20 pm

I've made strings for 15 years, I started with B-50 and pretty much stayed with it. The difference between material is so slight in my opinion that only noise and possible damage to the bow isn't worth the change.

If I want speed, I'll go back to a Compound. I like the traditional aspect of B-50. Some many people get wrapped up in materials faster, slower, stronger, bigger, smaller. Remember back in the indian days, strings were of gut ,sinew,hide and it just worked. same with arrows if they shot well they were used if not they were given to the kids.

If it worked use it, if not make another. it's that simple.
Like a good friend of mine said, "Mark, your strings make my Black Widow bow Stupid quiet" That! makes me happy !
Ya never get a second chance to make a first great shot.
Greywolf

Postby hawghunter2585 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:51 am

I recently put together a 12 strand string using 452x and was really impressed with how much it quieted my recurve down. My previous string was 12 strands of D10, and although it was faster(173fps w/ D10 vs 167 w/ 452x), the 452x just has a better "feel", at least for me it did. It is getting a little close to the season to start tinkering, but I may try whipping up strings of 8125, d97, and B55 just to see what I like best. I've never really liked the b50 stuff in the past with other bows; it seemed like I was constantly fusing with brace height/nock height. As for speed, I found that I shoot better when my arrow is right around the 170fps mark; however, if going to a fast flight string will enable me to keep my ~170fps and up my arrow weight then I am all for it.
hawghunter2585

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum