Skip to content

string material, no big deal

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

string material, no big deal

Postby iron mike » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:18 am

you know over on the Thin skin Wall, lots of bullshit information on string materials going around, the fast flight stuff is good on some bows ,no doubt about it, but that b50 is still hot stuff, all this talk of skinny strings had me bamboozled for a while, but i found that a 16 stand b50 to crank and arrow pretty quick,pretty quiet and lasts a while.i do not know or care why, but the b50seems more accurate,some of my bows shoot quicker and quieter with the d97,but my most accurate shooting comes from my old hill, my old saxon and my old kurlok,all b50'd,. 65#draw.think i'll make up some fat b50" for my others just for the hell of it. any practical low tech common sense comments to share?
" in a dog eat dog world, i'll have mine medium rare"
iron mike

Re: string material, no big deal

Postby jeffhalfrack » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:03 pm

Don't know if this helps but I just spent three afternoons adding tip overlays to an older ben pearson so I can try a different string!! I just don't know what one I'll use???? all I have is d-50 now,,,maybe some one wants to horse trade??? JeffW btw I narrowed the tips a hair the bow seems a little quicker before it was 158fps average we will see JW
jeffhalfrack

Postby iron mike » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:30 pm

recurves are a whole nother animal,they get quite and improvement with that d97 stuff.
iron mike

Postby Bender » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:58 pm

Naturally I keep B-50 for making strings for the old school "collector" bows I have and sometimes come across. Having blow up such a bow myself with modern HMPE, I don't buy it when some folks say its OK to padd the loops and run HMPE on old bows.
Putting the whole skinny string thing aside I honestly can feel the difference between Dacron and HMPE. The modern stuff definitely feels nicer to me. Crisp, quieter, less hand shock, less residual "ring" or buzz after the shot. Dacron feels like using an old worn out rubber band in comparison. And the HMPE materials consistently chrono at around 5-10 fps faster than Dacron for the same strand count.
BUT with all that said, when it comes to accuracy, that is ALL up to the shooter. If a guy has a bow with a Dacron string on it, and he basically sucks, and he puts a modern string on his bow, he'll STILL suck...just faster.
Bender

Postby iron mike » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:48 am

well said.
iron mike

Postby whump » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:42 am

Whump Sez; you can see an increase in speed just by going to fast flight and that is why the spine charts tell you to add spine for FF string. I have shot B50 since before Ceaser was a road guard but if you have a bow and you want to speed up the arrow then FF is the way to go. I have FF on everything but my old Hill bow but I would not mind re-enforcing the limb tips and shooting FF on it.
There is nothing wrong with B50 if you like it but don't try to sell it as a superior string material. That is the same argument as people saying carbon arrows are inferior to aluminum and wood---that can also be filed under " what I like", not what is real. . I have shot the gamut of arrow materials since the 60,s and carbon is by far the best out there now. I still shoot wood and aluminum but saying wood and aluminum is superior to Carbon and that B50 is superior to low or no stretch string material is like pulling up alongside a formula car on a moped and saying lets race. The thing about archery is-- you can shoot whatever you like and if it works for ya then wear it out. Hunt safe.
I have climbed and clawed from the pits of merciless persecution and suffered the tortures of the damned ,only to be thrust head first into what can be best described as organized confusion.
whump

Postby iron mike » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:14 pm

yeah that's true, the point i was makin was that b50 out of my 70lb longbows is outstanding,there is a difference with the d97 for sure, but it ain't enough to matter,180fps aint much different for the practicle purposes of the hunting gear than 185 fps,or 188fps,kevlar would be nice if it were available at 8 bucks a roll,linnen is nice, it's all good stuff, but the best just aint that much better,mind you all i'm sayin is probably obvious, but it's akin to the 270 vs the 30-06,yeah the 270 is a bit quicker, yeah the bc is a bit more efficient, but the 30-06 is primo,cheap,and quite suitable for the service intended.nothin will hamper it's performance for the service intended.i find b50 to be a bit more accurate, as i find the 30-06 a bit more accurate. again, i don't know or care why, no big deal.like someone said before if you suck, you'll still suck just a bit faster!lol.although,just to shake it up a little,my best arrows are some fine poc from acme, the premiums,their weight and flight characteristics are the best for me,carbons are second fiddle to my likin,good as they are.
iron mike

Postby marc » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:53 pm

I totally disagree! I will not shoot a bow with a B50 string on it, including selfbows that I have made. BTW try some good stuff, D97 isn't that good IMO. I shoot Ultra Cam and 452X and to me they are about as good as it gets. I make 10 or 12 strand endless and the only part that is b50 is the little piece used to tie on the string silencers.
"There is a fine line between tough and stupid and I think I found it" Ken Rohloff
"I'd hit that, with my truck" Ken Rohloff
marc

Postby iron mike » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:19 pm

no shit!there is that much of a difference with astroflight?so will i go from 180fps tp 200? or are we talkin 5 fps vs 3fps increase,how many fps will astroflight bring?
iron mike

Postby BEN MAHER » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:42 pm

I am with Marc on this one ... I still use B 50 a bit , but thats because I ihave rolls and rolls of the stuff .....
But I do prefer the low stretch stuff and the strings Ken gave me with My Whippenstick are the skinniest strings I have used for ages [ no idea of strand count ] but its a ripper string .
And on my Straight limbs I think that the 'recoil/thunp/handshock' or whatever we are calling it is negated somewhat by low stretch strings .....

Marc ... do you have a preference between the Brownell and the BCY 452X ?
BEN MAHER

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum