Skip to content

The Hanky Grip

This forum is dedicated to the bowyer and his craft. This is the place to talk building techninques, design/theory, and anything about enhancing performance. Anything about bow building is welcome here. All build alongs will be housed in the sub-forum below.

The Hanky Grip

Postby Hank » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:59 pm

This is the product of shooting Hill style bows, the Sheep and many phone converstations with Stagmitis. Really sets in the hand rock solid and seems to greatly negate the need for mass weight.

This is a Jerry Hill which usually comes with a dished grip, it now has an ever so slight hump and a 3/8" to 1/2" wide flat spot that sits in the hand.

a genetically modified by aliens life form, known as Hank
Hank

Re: The Hanky Grip

Postby Feral Donkey » Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:16 pm

So you reversed the way the grip was? It was dished and now it's got a hump? I have to try that out sometime.
Lord of the Hooligans.

Feral Donkey

Postby Hank » Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:58 pm

I think the hump helps, especially when you stick your hand into the grip more vertically, like you would in a Hill style bow, puts the pressure into the hand lower and seems more stable there. I rotate my hand more into a recurve, which with a lower wrist grip, places the pressure a little lower.
Hank

Postby Fiddleback » Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:07 pm

Sweet. More pics of the bow please.
Fiddleback

Postby superkodiak38 » Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:39 pm

Thats interesting, Tom Parsons of Kim-Sha Archery does something simular in his personal bows. I have shot them and liked the grip myself. I am a low wrist shooter and the "hump" fills my hand and seems to spread the weight over a larger area instead of just on the heel.
When you take your kid hunting and he says thank you and tells you how much he loves being in the woods with you, your day just isn't going to get any better than that.
superkodiak38

Postby rwsbow » Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:27 pm

SK38,
Does it seem to improve your shooting or is it just a matter of "feel"?
And by the way, WELCOME!!

Ramblings of an old man...Jolly Roger!!!
The reason I support the 2nd Amendment is because I'm too young to die but too old for an ass whoopin' ! 

rwsbow

Postby superkodiak38 » Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:30 pm

RWS,

First thanks for the welcome :) and second I think there is some merit that it could improve my shooting. I only flung a dozen or so with it but it did intrigue me. I have a 62" Mattawoman II from TP and I would like to get another in a lower poundage, if I do( read as when) I am thinking of having him incorporate that grip. After all if I don't like it it's easier to remove some wood than to scab some on.
When you take your kid hunting and he says thank you and tells you how much he loves being in the woods with you, your day just isn't going to get any better than that.
superkodiak38

Postby Cutty » Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:07 am

Hanky, you're almost there...now try this--

Add a rounded overlay to the back of the riser, but you need to adjust the width/thickness to fit your own hand. Hint, it's going to be quite a bit thinner than your grip for your hand.
Fettucini, Linguine, Martini, Bikini...
Cutty

Postby Cutty » Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:10 am

What you're doing with the belly of that grip is creating a bit of a "rocker" effect, so that the grip sets itself in your hand as you come to full draw...but more than that, it "auto corrects" for grip placement variations. But to let it do that, you have bit of a "rocker" on the front of the riser too.
Fettucini, Linguine, Martini, Bikini...
Cutty

Postby Hank » Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:59 am

Sorry for not keeping up with this thread.

I am simply trying to create a feeling/environment of total bow control with no torque. I think it is possible :)

When you are at full draw, even if for just a second, the bow should just cancel itself out in the hand then it will just stay there like a rock, super steady, effortlessly.....even if it weighs mere ounces.

Think of the possibilities if this is attained.
Hank

Next

Return to Board index

Return to The Bowyer's Gallery