Skip to content

Paul Schafer Shooting Style

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

Paul Schafer Shooting Style

Postby Hank » Sat May 05, 2012 6:00 pm

A few years back when Gene Wensel was commenting on Paul Schafer and how good of a shot he was in a thread on one of these message boards, I pmed him about how Paul shot. He replied that he shot split finger and anchored real high.

Without pictures I figured he did actually anchor high and even though that might not create the greatest line for consistant shooting, but with Schafer being so strong he could get away with it..... many really good shooters are super strong.

On that Schafer story on the LW, someone posted pictures of Paul shooting and tells a different story than what Gene said. Yes it looks like he did anchor high, but in reality he didn't. He has what looks like a very nice line, but drops his head down, much like Hill did possibly to narrow the angle between the arrow and the target.
Attachments
paulschafer2.jpg
paulschafer2.jpg (20.68 KiB) Viewed 6993 times
paulschafer1.jpg
paulschafer1.jpg (20.47 KiB) Viewed 6993 times
a genetically modified by aliens life form, known as Hank
Hank

Re: Paul Schafer Shooting Style

Postby Bender » Mon May 07, 2012 12:24 pm

I'm not familiar with Schafer. And if he's a good shot, I have no reaon to doubt that. But honestly from what I'm seeing in the pics that is not the way I would go with a new shooter.
Bender

Postby Jim Casto Jr » Mon May 07, 2012 1:00 pm

He probably would have agreed with you Bender. I had the pleasure to be aquainted with him--shot with him once. He was an outstanding shot, and sooooooo strong, he could get by with murder.
"Archery is really very simple. You just have to do the exact same thing on every shot"
Bill Leslie, July 22, 2017

"Form is everything."
Al Cole, June 7, 2008
Jim Casto Jr

Postby Bender » Mon May 07, 2012 3:40 pm

Hmmmm. Which leads to an interesting question. And not mere navel gazing either. Take some guy, a real animal, and he shoots a 50# er real well with technically poor or incorrect form. Now hand him 70#. Would it kick his butt? What if he shot the 70# with technically good and proper form would he, due to his strength consistently shoot that bow well? Does technical form enable a shooter to pull heavier weights and perform better and mor econsistently over time? I suspect that the answer is yes, and that poor form is a waste of the shooter's strength.
Bender

Postby topcamp » Mon May 07, 2012 4:38 pm

and that poor form is a waste of the shooter's strength.

paul had more than his share to waste..............with the hunting nerve to go with it.
the more we know about the " how " and the " why " of..........the less we see and notice about the " now " of the " when "...
_tc...on the inflation of life

on that day.......you wake up and never more what was .......will ever be again.
_tc on growing old
topcamp

Postby Lee Vivian » Mon May 07, 2012 4:48 pm

From talking to him, and people who knew him...he shot 80-90# bows, with little effort....Barry Wensel called him the best hunter he has ever hunted with...Jim is right, Paul would probably be the first person to tell you not to copy his style...but it worked for him....
Too many freaks, not enough circuses....
Lee Vivian

Postby Bender » Mon May 07, 2012 4:50 pm

Not dissing the guy in the least, nor am so dense as to argue with success. Just wondering. Might he do even better?
Bender

Postby Lee Vivian » Mon May 07, 2012 5:05 pm

That's. Something we will never know!
Too many freaks, not enough circuses....
Lee Vivian

Postby Fuzzy Dog » Mon May 07, 2012 7:06 pm

Bender wrote:Not dissing the guy in the least, nor am so dense as to argue with success. Just wondering. Might he do even better?

Logic, of course, says "yes." But then it would be subject to the law of diminishing returns - for what he was doing - apparently mainly hunting - there may not have been all that much better that he actually could get. I suppose his shot could have been changed to be a more efficient use of his strength, but then there's only just so dead you can kill something.
"Now I'm generally a mild mannered, live and let live kind of guy, but any fucking snake that gets between me and my coffee pot is just buckin' to be a hat band." The Topcamp Chronicles.

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.
Fuzzy Dog

Postby Hank » Mon May 07, 2012 7:44 pm

Gene Wensel mentioned that a bunch of pretty good bowhunters were asked to come to some ranch. The Wensel boys were there along with Paul Schafer and Noel Feather. They set up a 3D target and had a little shooting contest.... the Wensel boys dropped out about 35 yards and the match ended up being between Paul Schafer and Noel Feather. Paul hung with Noel out to 70 yards when he just missed the 10 ring. Noel hit it -- Schafer shooting one of his recurves barebow and Noel Feather a fully decked out wheelie bow with pins and a release. Gene said everyone knew who really won that day (Paul)

Another story about Schafer is someone bet him $10 he couldn't hit his $400 camera sitting on a stump 90 yards away, that shot cost him $390 :)

Obviously, he could shoot.
a genetically modified by aliens life form, known as Hank
Hank

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum