Skip to content

More Unnecessary Balderdash

This is a general discussion forum where any archery related topics are welcome.

Re: More Unnecessary Balderdash

Postby LBR » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:56 am

#9... "using a Flemish Twist string on his bows will void his warranty." WTF???

The warranty is also void if you use a dacron string (even if it's endless). I was told that's the "old" warranty, but I've never seen a copy of the "new" warranty, so.....

Even if there was a revised version (I'll have to see it to believe it), it says a lot that he ever voided his warranty over the use of a dacron string.....
LBR

Postby Jett » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:47 pm

LBR wrote:
#9... "using a Flemish Twist string on his bows will void his warranty." WTF???

The warranty is also void if you use a dacron string (even if it's endless). I was told that's the "old" warranty, but I've never seen a copy of the "new" warranty, so.....

Even if there was a revised version (I'll have to see it to believe it), it says a lot that he ever voided his warranty over the use of a dacron string.....

Actually, Harrison's just a step away from marketing brillance. Had he worded his warranty to exclude the use of any string type made of any material (known or unknown) on his bows, he wouldn't have had to worry himself about any warranty work whatsoever. The perfect product! any use of which automatically voids the warranty!

With the intentionally mismarked weights, his fluid warranty & the alternative reality espoused in his book, it's abundantly clear that Mr. Harrison missed his calling. He would have made an excellent career politician. And, I, for one am glad he confined himself to the realitively innocuous position of Traditional Archery Cult Leader.

As for the book itself, I highly recommend it as a companion piece to "Shooting the Stickbow" by Anthony Camera. These works complement each other perfectly. Both being approximately of the same bulk, I believe one of each would keep the camp fire roaring all night long. I can think of no higher praise.

Kudos to Bender for once again fearlessly diving to ever greater depths into the sea of insanity that constitutes what we call, for lack of a better term, by the oxymoron "Modern Traditional Archery". It could very well be that he is the only person to ever actually read both of these texts in their entirety. And survived.

Once again, many thanks to Bender for his selfless public service. I hope he makes a quick & full recovery!
"Plungers are for toilets." - Hank
Jett

Postby Bender » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:53 pm

Hornseeker you raise some very good points. You are right about what you're saying, But hell you already knew that.

I"m going to go back in and create at least single line paragraph breaks.That should help.

#3 That is about what brace does, naturally. Its just that like everything else Harrison has created his own little world. AMO even recognizes and utilizes "Actual Draw Length" but that's just not good enough. He has to make up his own definition that nobody else in the world utilizes.

#4 Sure, when either lateral or torsional stability are crap on a bow (or worse yet both) then there will be issues with getting consistent flight.It was just the way Harrison put it that was nuts. Lateral stability causes "flirting." That's it, that's all. There is nothing else to it. There are certain "nuances" of the book that don't come through in my little review. Harrison, like other "Great" Traditional Archery authors has a penchant for the grand, all encompassing, irrefutable statement.

#5 You're right and so as such I probably should have left it at "geometry is the biggest determining factor in stacking" just like what you're saying.

And yes I did live, but now we have to look at what sort of "quality of life" I'll have, as the brain damage is now permanent.
Bender

Postby LBR » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:47 pm

This thread needs pinned to the top.
LBR

Postby nightpilot » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:08 pm

Thanks Bender, I managed to sell the bow before your rant came out, but now i am stuck with the book. You owe me $45!!!!! lol I am glad though that someone else agreed with my impression of the book (though you had many more reasons for doing so). I offered it to Kenro for free back in december. He declined.
nightpilot

Postby Bender » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:25 pm

I'm sorry you got stuck for the $45 for the book. If I had been thinking I could have given folks here on POA a little heads up to do some inventory clearance.
Bender

Postby Kirkll » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:15 am

A month later....and i finally get around to reading this book review....

Good God Paul!!! What have you done? jwillis will never be the same after exposing this books ridiculous deficiencies, and down right deceit in such detail. This may force him to edit out references to this mockery in his own book.

"With friends like that, Who needs enemas." is right. i about came unhinged reading that.

But..... If you could sift through all the BS and focus on some of the testing he did on various materials, there were some interesting things he did. You had to laugh at some of the conclusions though.... :lol: I must admit i skimmed though, jumped over, and dodged some of the holes he dug himself into.

i couldn't help wonder how this book actually got published. You think he might have known Sarah Palin? i see a lot of similarities in style there.
http://www.bigfootbows.com/
kirk@bigfootbows.com

Only archers are fool enough to want to make a composite with natural materials and man made materials, and then bend it repeatedly...
Kirkll

Postby Bender » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:44 pm

Kirkll wrote:i couldn't help wonder how this book actually got published.

Vanity press. He had to pay the printing costs out of his own pocket. Just like Tony Camera had to do with his book. And his wife did the "publishing" scut work, like editting, proofreading, fact checking etc. If this book had ever been submitted to a real publisher, it never made it past the rejection letter due to the technical problems.
Bender

Postby LBR » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:57 am

Trying to read it myself...hightlighting the obvious fallicies and inconsistencies. I'm not a bowyer, so some of that may well go over my head, but there's already more than enough for me to see where he's coming from.
LBR

Postby LBR » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:39 pm

Un-freaking-believeable...Bender was very polite in his review...
LBR

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Everything archery