Skip to content

literature or dvd for beginners?

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

literature or dvd for beginners?

Postby Raven » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:14 pm

Hi. New to this forum and to archery. Bought a 35# Samick Sage, have a 28" draw and I know exactly zero about proper archery. I can hit a trash bag at 40ft but I have to beleive that my form is bad since I've had no instruction at all. Before I continue down this path and develope bad habits I was hoping someone could suggest a good book or DVD that could help me with the basics?
Raven

Re: literature or dvd for beginners?

Postby BEN MAHER » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:46 pm

the Masters of the Barebow Vol. 3 is about as good as it gets for DVD instruction IMHO ...

Nothing wil beat getting some coaching in person , it will save you a lot of time , frustration and possibly money ... but if that isn't a possibility the DVD mentioned above is a great tool for bettering your shot .
BEN MAHER

Postby Jim Casto Jr » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:53 pm

X2 What Ben said.
"Archery is really very simple. You just have to do the exact same thing on every shot"
Bill Leslie, July 22, 2017

"Form is everything."
Al Cole, June 7, 2008
Jim Casto Jr

Postby GuyWithBow » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:49 pm

I let a buddy of mine who had never shot before barrow Masters 3 and he seemed to get a lot out of it. Was all stuff I told him, but think the guys in the video really put it all in one place well and made it a lot more usable. Between that and me actually getting a lot out of it even after 25 years of doing it wrong, would have to agree.
GuyWithBow

Postby Raven » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:11 pm

Thanks gentlemen, that sounds like exactly what I am searching for. The same place I got my bow from is selling it also. I can't wait to watch it and practice. Thanks again.
Raven

Postby Bender » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:17 am

DVD is great because you get to actually what is going on. I like books too though because I find them easier to refer back to when I need to know something. For basic beginning shooting a good book is "Archery: Steps to Success" by Haywood and Lewis.
Bender

Postby Raven » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:07 pm

Thanks Bender I'll check it out.
Raven

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum