Skip to content

Ready to walk on the BRIDGE

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

Re: Ready to walk on the BRIDGE

Postby Yohon » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:01 am

Hornseeker wrote:Being a very modest and shy guy, I am also worried about drawing a bunch of attention to myself by out-shooting Rod at his own clinic and maybe giving him a few pointers.... :lol: :lol:

LOL!!!! Shouldnt be hard to do now that he's gettin old and slow :twisted:
Welcome to the USSA
Yohon

Postby Hornseeker » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:08 am

Well, I have to be careful now. My deposit for the clinic is in the mail. I'm really looking forward to here what Rod has to say about my shooting. A little nervous too... :shock:
It FEELS GOOD to USE WOOD!
Chuck Norris puts the laughter in manslaughter.
Hornseeker

Postby Matt_Potter » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:19 am

Ernie

Rod puts on a GREAT clinic I took it in Idaho Falls last year. The Cody clinic conflicts with our State field shoot or I would serious consider driving down an joining you. Are you going to make some 3d shoots this year - it would be fun to get our daughters shooting together.

Matt
Matt_Potter

Postby rsarns » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:37 pm

Ernie... you need to make it over to Moses Lake for the TBW's Rock Shoot... Oh and Matt there is an open invite for both of you!
rsarns

Postby Hornseeker » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:47 am

Ren, that Moses lake shoot sounds great, but I wont be able to make it... too far... 10 hrs for me...

Matt, i dont know what shoots I"ll make this year. We always try to shoot the big sky state games here in Billings, its a field shoot... VERY challenging to say the least. I also will try and hit the K-Z shoot in Cody....9th/10th of June I believe. I think TBM is going to try and have a shoot in July at Robertsons place? and I'd also love to try and get to the Barber Ranch shoot.

As for shooting... I've been working the bale and really actually enjoying it, just feeling the shot. I do pick a spot, but dont put any pressure on myself to hit that spot... as I'm so close that if the arrow doesn;'t go in the same hole each time, its pretty much touching the hole...

Yesterday I took the bow outdoors and went for a walk and flung a few arrows... I could tell I was not really ready... I shot ok, but I think I need to stay on the bale for at least the rest of February... then progress to walking the bridge... just walking out and shooting 40 yds didn't translate into much success yesterday.... :cry:
Hornseeker

Postby Matt_Potter » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:55 am

Billings - dam I for some reason I thought you were in Dillon.

I might make it down for the big sky state games but, Billings is a LONG way from Missoula

When you take Rod's class the longest shot will be about 3 feet - I have gotten to really enjoy shooting the bale as well.

Matt
Matt_Potter

Postby Hornseeker » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:54 am

3 feet!! BahhH!

I am going to get Rod to shoot something further just to see it... i hope! Personally, I think seeing him shoot a tight 45 yard group would be very inspiring.
Hornseeker

Postby Jim Casto Jr » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:33 pm

Maybe time for another update:

Today is my 23-month anniversary of the Rod Jenkins Clinic at Lancaster Archery. I’ve followed his regimen as well as I could, and “think” I now have a consistent shot sequence. I haven’t been able to shoot anything over 35#’s without the demon trying to creep back in.

10 days ago I gave Joel Turner a call at his invitation. He asked me what my goals were with my shot sequence. I told him, then, I listened for about 40 minutes. I’ve taken what I learned from Rod’s clinic, added the suggestions Joel gave me, and yesterday I picked up my 21st Century Edge. I haven’t been able to shoot it for a long time. It’s 45#, and I couldn’t shoot it while undergoing this shot therapy. I’ve shot about 100 arrows the last couple days, and haven’t had any problems.

Am I ready to declare victory? Nope, but it sure is fun shooting the longbow without a panic attack.
"Archery is really very simple. You just have to do the exact same thing on every shot"
Bill Leslie, July 22, 2017

"Form is everything."
Al Cole, June 7, 2008
Jim Casto Jr

Postby BEN MAHER » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:44 pm

Awesome Jim ... giving hope to us all . I nearly rang Joel tthe other day but with all my faults and TP's etc it'd be a darn expensive ph call from over here in Oz !!!

Thats just ace that your getting into a 45# 'er no worries . Joels little mantra helped ?
BEN MAHER

Postby Jim Casto Jr » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:01 pm

Yes sir. He helped immensely and (almost) immediately as promised. You don't have to call him, Ben. Go over the Shooters Forum on TG, and read his posts again, and again, and again.

You have to figure out a trigger of some sort that suits you; clicker, feather to nose, extra tension of the back muscles, something... anything.

Then, a goal (conclusion), and repeat the mantra until the goal is reached. Total concentration on the goal and the trigger will happen.

My trigger is fletch to lip; goal is conclusion (finger swipe the back of my neck just under my ear), and my mantra is elbow back, elbow back, elbow back. Once I reach maintainable state, by entire concentration is directed to reach the goal as I repeat the mantra.

If nothing else… it’s interesting.
"Archery is really very simple. You just have to do the exact same thing on every shot"
Bill Leslie, July 22, 2017

"Form is everything."
Al Cole, June 7, 2008
Jim Casto Jr

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum