Skip to content

Team Fitzgerald?

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

Team Fitzgerald?

Postby Hank » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:15 pm

Got a month of the Sportsman Channel free and watched a few shows on it. One was Team Fitzgerald. Now Dan and Guy are a little goofy but they sure seem to shoot good. There was a video on youtube on instinctive shooting with Dan Fitzgerald in it. He explained how he shot (just like throwing a ball) and he was nailing everything at all distances. Then he says what if the deer is on the wrong side of the tree..... he shot the right handed bow left handed and nailed the 3D target in the kill zone at a hunting distance! I guess Guy did the same thing on one of the shows.

Unfortunately the video on youtube has been removed :(
a genetically modified by aliens life form, known as Hank
Hank

Re: Team Fitzgerald?

Postby lostaro » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:22 pm

Saw that video some time ago too. Dan is a bit strange but he can shoot a compound instinctively very well. I remember something about him having limited or no sight in one eye also...that has got to make shooting a bow with the "wrong" hand rather tricky. Who knows what happens off camera but they sure kill a lot of stuff on their videos.
"My goal in life is to try NOT to screw up so bad that they name the screw up after me..."
"Nothing better than a campfire, cold beer and piles of dangerously undercooked meat..."
lostaro

Postby Gino Bruno » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:29 pm

dan has always been a hell of a barebow shot. i used to watch a ton of his vids back in the late 80s and early 90s. saw him shooting a longbow and he was an incredible shot with it as well. if i remember right, his longbow was close to or over 100lbs. back in those days so were his compounds. i remember when he had Anthony Clark (at the time held the world record bench press at something like 860lbs) draw his compound on TV. at the time it was set at a hair over 100lbs. Clark drew it effortlessly but it was still impressive to see Dan draw it effortlessly as well. he and Guy both can flat out shoot!

and yes, Dan is completely blind in one eye. i met him at the shot Show years back when i was doing the camo gig..... super nice guys the both of them.
Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.
Gino Bruno

Postby arrowlauncherdj » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:56 pm

not to hijack, but I remember Anthony Clark... saw him reverse grip bench press 780lbs one time... He looked like a fat bastard but very impressive still. That kind of weight is just nuts... of course so are 100lb bows too. But I guess if you work up to it, it is possible with the right frame.

Dave
arrowlauncherdj

Postby Gino Bruno » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:44 am

Dave,

i competed in a bench contest at the Red Lion here in spokane back in '96. that year Clark did a demonstration with 780 here as well. freakin crazy to see that much weight being moved by a human's arms and chest.

on the same note and around the same time, i also witnessed a friend detach both quads and shatter both ankles when training for a world record squat attempt. at the time that it happened, he was on the up stroke of his second rep with a 1020lbs. was moving it with little trouble when the quads let go......... i will never forget his scream when the weight came down on him. it happened so fast that the 3 spotters really were useless. 15 years later, he is still probably one of the largest guys in spokane...... but he sure doesn't try squats that heavy anymore...... took a lot of staples and rehab to get him back together.
Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.
Gino Bruno

Postby arrowlauncherdj » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:02 pm

Yeah I used to do all that powerlifting stuff too, but after seeing what it did to one of the trainers at my local gym, I backed off a lot. The guy can barely get around due to all the joint damage even at 45yo. My back and shoulders already dont like me some days and I am only 33. I'd rather do a bench press of 225lb for 20 reps than even attempt the over 400 stuff like I used to for even 1 rep. Now I work out so I wont have a heart attack by age 50, not to do that anymore. Isnt it funny how priorities change. :D

I know what you mean by unbelievable when it comes to that amount of weight. I topped out my highest, non-competition bench at 430 when I was 22yo... non-comp = sloppy lift.. but still it went up, so I was unbelievably happy. But when you consider twice that weight, that is unfathomable. I used to think that guys like that were of another world.

Dave
arrowlauncherdj

Postby Kenro » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:14 am

HEY! I benched 135 4 times the other day! :D

I really miss the old fitzgerald videos. Back 20 years ago when they were new at it was the best IMO. The camera was always over the shoulder with that Greg guy and the hunting was real. I can remember times they would be driving down the road see deer in a field and work a plan to come in from a different direction and head them off as they leave the field.......They would off the cuff plan as they go!

Not to mention the class they would show in retrieving the animal in the education aspect of the videos. And nearly always a mention of the "backstraps" and how they couldnt wait to sink their teeth into them. Any one remember when they cooked the backstraps on a treestand over an open fire? After seeing that...I had to do that myself! :D
Wish they still made videos that were "real" like that.
People used to say that I'd never amount to much but I can always say Ive served as a bad example!
Kenro

Postby nightpilot » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:39 pm

Ken, that cooking scene was the thing I remember the best out of his films. That treestand grill was clever but, I often think about that and wonder what kind of paint chemicals he was ingesting when he ate that deer strap. I also remember a scene, possibly from the same film when they showed the deer being shot and you could see the steam coming out the back side of the wound. The deer took about four steps and collapsed. Really quick kill.
nightpilot

Postby Mann » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:26 pm

Hell Ross Ken Don't figure that paint could be any worse than an oyster! :D :D
Mann

Postby nightpilot » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:36 pm

HA, I still think he may have gotten a bad one! I have agreed to not ask him to try another this year however. Maybe clams...
nightpilot

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum