Skip to content

hey Roger, Gino, Kenro, Ted

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

hey Roger, Gino, Kenro, Ted

Postby cst » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:19 am

And all you other sight users. How do y'all make sure you've got the same sight picture each time? I've been seeing lots of posts with or about bows with sights on them and I am wondering about your methods. When I used to use them, I pretty much relied on my anchor solely. Kissers buttons always ripped mustache hair out, so that is right out. The anchor alone would work well until the neuroses kicked in and I had to take the sihts back off the bow.
So, how do you do it?
cst

Re: hey Roger, Gino, Kenro, Ted

Postby rwsbow » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:49 am

If your form is not correct or your anchor is not rock solid, putting a sight on your bow is just the beginning of some serious frustration... :o

When I was serious into FITA shooting, I used a "training string"..just an ordinary string set up with a dental floss serving tied at the same height a peep string would be at..I would align it with a spot on the riser (little chunk of masking tape) so that the anchor and reference points would be exactly the same every time.."tie-ons" were not allowed in the competition so it was a training aid...

I did the same thing about 6 years back when I changed from a low, under-the-chin anchor to a high, split finger corner-of-the-mouth anchor..I will still use the "training string" a couple times a year just to make certain that everything is as it should be...

Make sure that you spend plenty of time shooting close (10-15 yards) and that your groups get shaft-slapping tight..this breeds confidence and assures you that your anchor is consistent....and it also neutralizes the "neurons" that get in the friggin' way!!!

Probably plenty of other ways, but this works for me...
The reason I support the 2nd Amendment is because I'm too young to die but too old for an ass whoopin' ! 

rwsbow

Postby Gino Bruno » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:22 pm

i solely rely on my anchor..... but that has been practiced on the bale a ton. having said that, i would use a peep but my anchor doesn't allow me to get my eye perfectly behind the string. i really like Roger's method of the strap...... errr..... i mean tie-on. ;)
Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.
Gino Bruno

Postby Matt_Potter » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:40 pm

Anchor and where the string blur lines up on the riser for me. A sight isn't a magic fix but, it sure tells you what is going on.

I love the tie on idea - those old target archers had it all going on.

Matt
Matt_Potter

Postby WillScarlet » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:39 pm

If I needed a string peep, I wouldn't use a sight....toooo slow. Like Gino says, the anchor HAS to be consistent,it is the "rear sight",the pin is the "front sight".
Will
WillScarlet

Postby Howattman » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:39 pm

When I shot with sights, I used sort of a two-point anchor: Index finger in corner of my mouth, and bowstring on the tip of my nose. Kinda the same idea as using a peep, without actually using a peep.
Resident Howattologist
Pirate Poet Laureate/Hardcore Defective

"Pain or damage don’t end the world, or despair or f**king beatings. The world ends when you’re dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man—and give some back.”

Howattman

Postby cst » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:15 pm

I figured that anchor would be the most common answer. Thanks.

Oh yeah, Roger, I couldnt tell you what my form looks like nowadays, but I can get well and truly frustrated evwn when its good.
cst

Postby Feral Donkey » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 am

I'd touch the string on the tip of my schnoze and rely on anchor. Worked great until I was in a hunting situation where I wasn't able to make the perfect stance, then slight variations in an open/closed stance would throw shit all over. Also not bending at the waist quite enough shooting uphill or downhill is really bad like that.
Lord of the Hooligans.

Feral Donkey

Postby cst » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:37 pm

Im not looking for an argument here but I gotta say that when I shot compound bows with sights and all that, I never had a problem shooting in irregular positions. Might be because of the peep. I never got a peep sight to work on the longbows and recurves, because the string ended up next to my eye in stead of in front of it like it did on the compound bows.
I wonder if one of those no-peep sights would solve all this.
cst

Postby Feral Donkey » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:25 pm

I think you're right about the peep. Also compounds go to the same draw length every time too. My buddy, Jerry has really bad arthritis in his hands so he shoots his on Wing Presentation IIs with a release and a click-click sight. He's got a peep on his string but he's also got a release bringing it away from his face. Have you tried a peep with a smaller hole like the target shooters use?
Lord of the Hooligans.

Feral Donkey

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum