Skip to content

bear guys please help

A Place to Post Your Collectable Bows, Archery and Hunting Equipment

bear guys please help

Postby Ron+dog » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:46 pm

in the bow shop today and saw 2 bear stag hunters 45 and 50 # i like my grizz and have seen alot of other bears but never heard of these can anyone give me some info on them ?
Mr. Bear,
you are the best there is or ever will be. Long after your death you continue to influence people and your chosen sport, Your love for archery is still felt all over the world. REST IN PEACE 1902-1988
Ron+dog

Re: bear guys please help

Postby 4nolz » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:44 pm

Low end cordon made I think,takedown with a bolt index pin system.Pretty sure not made in Gainesville.Not much resale value.
there are 2 dates on your marker.Your life is the dash in between.
4nolz

Postby 4nolz » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:47 pm

Fking spell check foreign made not cordon made.
4nolz

Postby Stykshooter » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:17 pm

The Stag hunter that I am thinking of was a one piece. It was a low end bow with a maple riser and looked kind of like the Black Bear. It is my understanding that it was a bow that Bear Manufactured especially for some retail stores, like K-Mart or Sears. It was offered at the normal Bear authorized dealers. I know I have seen them with Black glass and I think I have seen one with that mint green colored glass.
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Postby Ron+dog » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:00 pm

these are defidently one piece w/ brown glass they were neat just not what i was looking for thanks for the info guys
Mr. Bear,
you are the best there is or ever will be. Long after your death you continue to influence people and your chosen sport, Your love for archery is still felt all over the world. REST IN PEACE 1902-1988
Ron+dog

Postby 4nolz » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:19 am

I may be thinking of a "Bear Hunter Takedown"
4nolz

Postby Jett » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:59 pm

Styk's got it. I think they were made for K-Mart, like the Black Panther & Panther Hunters (which were a knock-off of the current Grizzly & K-Mag respectively). The Stag Hunter seems to be an original design. Never shot/owned one, but my guess it was/is a mediocre but serviceable entry level bow. Never had a Panther either, but I've had a few of the the Panther Hunters which were basically a K-Mag with a thicker upper riser & are IMO a somewhat better bow than the premium K-Mags of the same vintage. These were all late Grayling makes.

Cordon made? I thought I was about to learn some obscure Bear knowledge I never heard of before! :D

Another "sleeper" from the late Grayling period was the '77 revamped Tiger Cat, cheaply made but a very nice shooter.

If & when I pick up a Stag & a Panther I'll give a report here.
"Plungers are for toilets." - Hank
Jett

Postby R Bushong » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:06 pm

Stykshooter and Jett are both correct.

Stag Hunter was a late 70's Grayling bow - 58" one piece recurve that did look a lot like the Black Bear. It was built for chain-store sales. They had brown glass and no tip overlays. They did have the plastic Bear button medallion on the riser. They were lower end bows, but are actually pretty darn good shooters. My wife bought one for me at a garage sale back in the late 90's. She paid a bit too much for it, but it was cool that she actually bought me a bow to add to my collection. I killed a nice 8pt with it the following year. I still have it.

Black Panther was a 56" one piece recurve w/ black glass that looked identical to the '77 Tigercat in riser shape and limb length/profile, but it should... the '77 Tigercat was made on the same form. I've had a couple Black Panthers - still have one. They are nice shooters too - for the money. Both Black Panthers that I had or have did not have the plastic button medallion on them, but they did have wood tip overlays.

I believe the Black Panther Hunter was a 52" bow with black glass and a sleek little profile. I've owned two of them over the years - sold them both. I can't remember now, but I'm pretty sure they had tip overlays and a button medallion. They shot OK, but I don't remember ever being overly impressed... mine looked better than they shot. I thought the 56" Black Panther and the 58" Stag Hunter were better shooters than the little BPH.

They were all lower end bows than the normal Bear line. They were marketed primarily through Kmart and other retail chains. Nothing fancy, but they would certainly do the trick. They are serviceable bows that have no collector value, but they do hold utility value as being functional shooters.

Ron
R Bushong

Return to Board index

Return to Collectors Forum