Skip to content

Newly discovered an older product

A Place to Post Your Collectable Bows, Archery and Hunting Equipment

Newly discovered an older product

Postby Stykshooter » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:59 pm

I just wanted to let you guys know of a new product that I recently found out about... I have used a number of products to refinish and polish old bows and firearms but recently discovered a new to me product.

I recently bought a couple more older model .22 rifles. After years of use the stocks of some of them are pretty scratched and dinged up. I have been removing them and refinishing them with a hand rubbed oil finish. I bought a couple of rifles this week and the stocks definitely needed some maintenance work. In lieu of refinishing them I spent several hours on line researching what some of the professional stock restorers and collectors use for their guns. I heard of several references to F-N-W or F & W. I had never heard of the product so had to dig a little deeper as a lot of these guys were raving about how it salvaged some gun stocks. Turns out they are talking about Howard's Feed & Wax. This stuff is a blend of natural bees wax and citrus oil from oranges. Although I have never heard of the stuff it has apparently been out for 60 years or so and is famous in the antique world for restoring and polishing old antique furniture. I went to their website to order some and found out that Ace hardware stores carry it. I went to Northwest hardware and bought a bottle today.

This stuff is amazing. I had one old Marlin stock that I had already removed to refinish. I wiped a good coat of F & W on it and about 20 minutes later buffed it out with an old t-shirt. I just reassembled the rifle as the stock looks like it did the day it left the factory. I have spent the last couple of hours playing around with it on various items. I buffed out an old bow that had a lot of "character" scratches on it and it came out great. I even used it on some of my gun stocks that were already in pretty good shape and it definitely pepped up the wood grain in them. One of the pluses of this product is the lack of offensive odor. Most refinishing products I use have a strong smell but this smells like citrus.

I am impressed, this looks to be some pretty good stuff. Obviously it won't remove a gouge or deep dent but for normal wear and tear and surface scratches, this stuff is going to save me a lot of work on used guns and bows. Some of you may have used this stuff before, especially you old timers, but just thought I would pass it on.
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Re: Newly discovered an older product

Postby superkodiak38 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:19 am

I'll have to check this one out too, I've got some old bangers that could use a good clean up. Thanks !
When you take your kid hunting and he says thank you and tells you how much he loves being in the woods with you, your day just isn't going to get any better than that.
superkodiak38

Postby Stykshooter » Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:03 pm

I just tried this stuff on some cedar arrows. Really shines then up and snaps the grain out on them. I am hoping it will make them easier to pull from 3-D targets.
You can tell a lot about a woman's mood just by her hands. If they are holding a gun, she's probably angry.
Stykshooter

Postby Feral Donkey » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:58 am

Now that sounds like something I need to get my hands on.
Lord of the Hooligans.

Feral Donkey

Postby Hawk » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:45 pm

This sounds like sonething I need,thanks for posting. Hawk
Peace on earth through superior firepower
Hawk

Postby jipp » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:10 pm

cant say iv heard of it citrus makes a wonderful cleaner.. i can see how a combo of wax/citrus and other voodoo materials could work.. thanks for mentioning it will pick some up. i have a few things i want to redo over winter.

chris.
To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
jipp

Return to Board index

Return to Collectors Forum