Skip to content

hitting left, not cut past center

A place to discuss shooting styles, form, aiming systems, experiences, etc...

hitting left, not cut past center

Postby arrowlauncherdj » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:37 pm

Hey guys, for those of you who shoot bows not cut past center or just say to 1/8 past, instead of 3/16 like a lot of new bows these days. Do you consciously aim to the right of your target to hit it in the center. And by aim, I mean put the point of the arrow to the right of the intended dot on the target. According to Stu millers calculator, I should be spot on with my spine. With fp's I am now hitting 2-4" left and broadheads are going nuts. low left with the same height nock points. My bow is cut 3/16 past center and I have a piece of leather about 1/16th thick stuck on there. I anchor with middle finger at corner of mouth shooting split 3.

I changed from b50 to 14 strand D 97, that is when I added the leather on the strike plate to compensate for the faster string per Stu's calculator. It said go down from 3/16 to 1/8 past center. What am I doing wrong?

Dave
arrowlauncherdj

Re: hitting left, not cut past center

Postby BK in TEXAS » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:23 pm

arrowlauncherdj wrote: What am I doing wrong?

Using the calculator as an end all.

Bareshaft until you get good flight using a wide range of points like 100 through 250. May take several arrow spines to get it. Once you have it bareshafting good, you can plug those numbers into the calculator to get your dynamic spine. Now you can play with arrow spines & point weight combinations...keeping the calculated spine the same in the program.
Hooked on Phonics......Helping kids read gooder since 1970.

http://www.NorthlandGameCalls.com
BK in TEXAS

Postby Bender » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:56 am

What BK said. You're the one shooting the bow, not the calculator.
Bender

Postby trapperDave » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:09 am

amen to that. everyone has a different release, which cant be figured in to any "calculator"
It's not funny until someone gets hurt.......then it's hilarious
trapperDave

Postby arrowlauncherdj » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:48 am

Thanks guys

True that guys... got it figured finally, didnt go nearly high enough on point weight to make a difference. 50+ extra grains over what I was using got her shooting straight.

Dave
arrowlauncherdj

Postby AROMAKR » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:41 pm

Dave:
Shooting left for a right hand shooter usually means stiff spine (but not always). What might have happened is how you calculated the amount of center shot of your bow. The easiest way to determine that is to string the bow and hold it at arms length like you were shooting it. Now line the string up to bisect the limb. Shift you vision to the strike plate and notice where the string is. does the string bisect the strike plate (center shot) is the strike plate to the left of the string (less than center) is the strike plate to the right of the string (past center). if its left or right of the string just determine by how much. since you added point weight too correct the problem, then you were too stiff.
Bob
AROMAKR

Postby Van/TX » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:20 pm

Since you are using the point of the arrow as a front sight you simply have an aiming problem. Either adjust the rear sight (the nock in relation to your eye) or adjust the front sight (build out or lessen the strike plate thickness). Or change the spine of the arrow. You might also experiment with cant degree. Good luck...Van
USAF Retired (1966 - 1989)
DoD Retired Civil Service (1989 - 2009)
And drawing Social Security
I love this country!!
Van/TX

Postby arrowlauncherdj » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:45 am

Van, I actually finally had to do all those things. I had an aiming problem due to an issue with eye dominance... I dont have an absolutely dominant eye. My right is dominant, but not completely. I run into this a lot with my contact lens patients... they have a hard time with bifocal or monovision contact lenses due to a dominance problem. Anyway, I was anchoring too far back on my cheek causing my point to not line up straight with the shaft of the arrow too... I anchor now more centrally, and I cant a little to get my eye closer to the arrow, like Asbell, after reading his book. All these things sure have helped a lot.

I also now shoot half practice with left eye closed and half with both open. This helps me train myself to use the right eye to sight with. That prolly helped more than any single thing. This may be the absolute wrong thing to do, but it makes me hit the kill zone on my deer target nearly every shot now at distances out to 25yds.

Thanks,

dave
arrowlauncherdj

Return to Board index

Return to Shooter's forum