Skip to content

Tillering block build along

All build alongs are archived here for quick and easy reference.

Re: Tillering block build along

Postby Crooked Stic » Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:10 pm

Now thats a good idea. I may just have to add a piece on mine to do that>
Prez of the Crooked Stic Gang
Crooked Stic

Postby Rico » Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:53 pm

I will weld that tillering block together tomorrow.

Don't tell me you're going to use a car battery for a welder :shock: Nice work Hera Thanks
"If you have to defend your archery tackle as being Traditional it probably isn't" Fred Bear
Rico

Postby V-Archer » Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:57 pm

I'm using a kind of similar jig, but I do have also made myself a pre-tiller tool to check every tapered laminate that I use in a bow. Here are some pics.

V-Archer

V-Archer

Postby Wheelie_Pete » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:16 pm

Rico wrote:
I will weld that tillering block together tomorrow.

Don't tell me you're going to use a car battery for a welder :shock: Nice work Hera Thanks

Now don't be dissin' the car battery welding... LOL :lol:

I've saved a lot of people (self included) in places that AAA can't get within 30 miles of with good ol' car battery welding. I carry a kit I that assembled myself at all times in the truck. Can do it with 2 batteries, but 3 really really works well with 6011 1/8" rod...almost too well as it produces a LOT of amperage... I've sacraficed more than one craftsman box-end wrench to put a tie-rod end back toether... :mrgreen:

Bat Weld Schematic.gif
Bat Weld Schematic.gif (7.87 KiB) Viewed 8709 times

Kit.JPG
Kit.JPG (59.59 KiB) Viewed 8714 times
"Sometimes a man's gotta do what a woman would never consider."
- Red Green
Wheelie_Pete

Postby Rico » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:34 am

Pete how much weld time do you get? I've never tryed it but I know it works. Thanks for posting your kit.
"If you have to defend your archery tackle as being Traditional it probably isn't" Fred Bear
Rico

Postby Ibex » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:32 am

I've been a welder since 1980, just not a "traditional welder" Thats amazing.
Ibex

Postby Wheelie_Pete » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:29 am

I've never killed a battery using it to weld with. I'm not sure on a total available time, I'm sure it depends on the size of rod you would be using. But like I said, I've never killed any batteries on trailside repairs while wheeling. The last thing I had to fix was a Isuzu rodeo's broken steering linkage. The guy broke this rig waaaaay down in the bottom of some god-forsaken hole in the Bohemia Mtn's of oregon about 20 miles from a paved road. I think I pumped about 4 full rods of 6011 into the break and just for good measure I welded a coule bolts across the break. He wheeled the piss out of the rig and then drove it home 150 miles after the weekend (for the record I did tell him not to wheel it hard (but he did) and I did state in front of a big group of witnesses that this was "for emergency repair only and you can't hold me liable" blah blah blah...) I'm not a huge fan of doing emergency work on other people I don't know's rigs (liability issues), but hey, when you gotta, you gotta....good samaratin laws and all that...

DSC00737 (Small).JPG
DSC00737 (Small).JPG (69.46 KiB) Viewed 8674 times

DSC00744 (Small).JPG
DSC00744 (Small).JPG (45.35 KiB) Viewed 8670 times

DSC00742 (Small).JPG
DSC00742 (Small).JPG (66.51 KiB) Viewed 8672 times

any way, I found this on some aussie website:

"Most DC welders work at around 40 volts, and a general purpose electrode of 3.25mm will need about 120 amps for good penetration of weld. 36 volts is available from three automotive batteries connected in series. The batteries we use in 4WDs are more than capable of supplying the amperage for an ample amount of time for a repair weld; after all, they supply winches at up to 400 amps, and starters on diesels at 300 plus!"

The winch is the big killer. I killed an optima red top from over-winching without the engine being on once. When I was actively into 4-wheeling we had lots of rigs in our group that ran dual battery systems in their rigs to deal with winch loads and such. We never really went wheeling alone so there was almost always 3 batteries laying around. Even if we did manage to kill a battery, the chance of killing all three with welding is negligible. Just to be safe we would also try and park a rig where it could be push started if we had to.
- Red Green
Wheelie_Pete

Postby Hornseeker » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:12 am

Dang V-Archer...you are hardcore... I need to add some tricks to my bag and something like that may be one of them...

The battery welder is too cool...

E
It FEELS GOOD to USE WOOD!
Chuck Norris puts the laughter in manslaughter.
Hornseeker

Postby jwillis » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:16 am

Looks like the CV boot got wasted as well.
My bow making blog is live at... http://www.buildyourownbow.com

Click here to see the Build Your Own Bow Facebook fan page at...http://www.facebook.com/BuildYourOwnBow
jwillis

Postby Wheelie_Pete » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:37 am

Nah, the CV boot just got pulled off when the wheel flipped back when the tie rod linkage broke. They put it back into position and zip-tied it down before he took off. Either way, the CV was the least of his worries that far off the beaten path. :lol:

Here's a video I did on the welding with batteries. There's actual video on the end of me fixing this thing picture above.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_hLobwoyhE

*sorry for the off-topic thread hi-jack Hera*
- Red Green
Wheelie_Pete

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Bow Build alongs